Play Book Tag discussion

I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer
This topic is about I'll Be Gone in the Dark
Archive: Other Books > I'll Be Gone in the Dark - Michelle McNamara 4/5

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole D. | 1497 comments I am fascinated by serial killers, totally enjoyed my time with with My Favorite Murder Podcast, (got old after a while) , and was naturally struck by McNamara's own tragic story, so this book was on my radar. THEN THEY CAUGHT THE DUDE. I mean, come on!

I dropped all other books and tasks, put this on 1.5 speed and listened until I was too scared to function. LOL. I guess we all have our things which frighten us, but the thought of waking up in the middle the night to a stranger in your bedroom gives me the heebie jeebies.

McNamara has been obsessed with this case for some time, so I enjoyed her digging deep into all the aspects of what was a super cold case. There's an online community of people essentially "working the case" and a Reddit forum (if that's how Reddit works, I don't know, I'm old.) EARONS ... (East Area Rapist Original Night Stalker ) AS IF THE NEW NIGHT STALKER WASN'T SCARY ENOUGH!

What was particularly scary for me is that this guy was in my 'hoods. One of the murders too place in Davis, in Village Homes (on Rivendell) where one of my close friends lives. There were a number of incidents in Orange Country, so as these locations were being described, I could put myself there, and thus freaked myself out even further.

Two years and three days after McNamara died they arrested him. McNamara's husband, research partner and a detective on the GSK case finished her book. I thought they handled it all really well.

The book talks a lot about DNA and that appears to be ultimately what brought him down. It's hard to look at that old man and feel anything but compassion, but I also know that HE had none. It's baffling to me to think a person who did the things he did, just went on to live a completely normal life.

This is more of a brain dump than a book review, but it was fascinating.

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6848 comments I heard her husband speak the other day on PBR. Of course, our this has been all over the local stations, with survivors coming forward and speaking.

Michelle (MichelleBookAddict) (maslme) | 186 comments I saw Patton Oswalt at the LA Times Book Festival on Sunday! He was great. Got this book signed (he signed his afterword). I’m debating on reading this because I’m not much of a horror or mystery reader. I still have two mystery books I need to finish from last year.

Patton was really good at describing the book and who the Golden State Killer is. He said the killer was tagged with two different nicknames before Michelle dubbed him the Golden State Killer.