Reading the Detectives discussion

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #3)
This topic is about The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
Poirot Buddy Reads > Unofficial Poirot Buddy Read: Poirot 5 - The Murder of Roger Ackroyd

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jessica | 377 comments Welcome to the Poirot read for May. I am sure many of you are as happy as I am that we get a full-blown book this month! Though I absolutely loved the short stories, I am looking forward to a "real" long arched Poirot again.

Poirot retires to a village near the home of a friend he met in London, Roger Ackroyd, who agrees to keep him anonymous, as he pursues his retirement project of perfecting vegetable marrows. He is not long at this pursuit when his friend is murdered. Ackroyd's niece calls Poirot in to ensure that the guilt does not fall on Ackroyd's son; Poirot promises to find the truth, which she accepts.

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 9418 comments Mod
I haven't read this one yet, though I have started it a couple of times in the past and fizzled out after the first few pages for some reason - not sure if it was anything to do with this book, or if I was just reading too many at the same time.

Anyway, I do aim to read it this month, but need to finish a couple of others first!

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2179 comments This was a reread for me. I normally don't read books more than once , as there are so many books I want to read , but as this was one of the first Christie books I ever read (must have been about 11 years old) and I remembered really liking it, I gave it another read. This time I really thought it was great!

Susan | 10518 comments Mod
Sometimes re-reading is fun. I also have an enormous amount of books I keep meaning to read, but old favourites do keep calling you back :)

I've started reading this now, and this time managed to get past the first few pages - I still found the beginning rather boring and confusing, but pressed on and am enjoying it a lot more now that Poirot has appeared, cultivating his vegetable marrows!

Unfortunately, I have had this "spoiled" for me by coming across a mention of the ending in a supposedly unrelated article - but I am sure I will still enjoy it.

I think it would be hard not to know the ending of Roger Ackroyd, as it is one of the great twists of all time. I was lucky that I read it when I was young - pre-internet - so I read it fresh, but, nowadays, it is difficult NOT to see information :)

Sandy | 3008 comments Mod
I also 'knew' the twist before I recently read it for the first time. But, as I read the book, it seemed so unlikely I began to wonder if I misunderstood.

I think the clues are fairly obvious, once you know. However, the cleverness lies in the fact that you don't know and so you don't pick up on them.

I'm avoiding the spoiler thread until I finish all the same, as i have only seen one sentence revealing the twist, so I don't want to spoil any more.

On another tack, I am enjoying Caroline, and can see the similarities with Miss Marple.

Yes, apparently Christie really enjoyed writing her character.

Robin I don't mind spoilers as I think that novels are far more than 'who dunnits' . The work that goes into building the clues into an interesting and intriguing narrative , the development of character and the tone and manner of writing are all worthy of a reader's attention. Once I know the ending of a novel, I'm often keen to see where the writer put her clues (in the case of Christie and other crime writers) and the reasons for why events occur in the case of other types of novels. However, I'll make all my posts in the spoiler thread so I can indulge my desire to talk about these features rather than lose the knowledge I already have about the plot.

message 12: by Judy (last edited May 13, 2018 12:06AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm enjoying the humour in the bits about Poirot, such as this couple of lines:

"I am much aged, my powers may not be what they were." Here he clearly expected a contradiction."

message 13: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

I've finished this now - must say I missed Hastings, and am hoping he turns up again in future books! I still have a few of the short stories in the previous book to go, so will enjoy him in those.

I do have some problems with the plot of this one, but will save those for the spoiler thread.

Jessica | 377 comments Oh my, I enjoyed this Poirot so much! And even though I knew it was famous for its great spoiler twist, and I was not happy with any suspect presented to us, I was not prepared for the big reveal.

Now, I have a lot of questions left... I am happy to have avoided the spoiler thread for this ride, but am heading over there RIGHT NOW ;-)

Jessica | 377 comments A fun video to watch with some analysis, yes spoiler free, https://youtu.be/yzAVgAueawQ

I like her explanation of Caroline. I've read in several places that she was like an early model of Miss Marple. Personally, I didn't really like her. Caroline is a proper gossip, obtaining and distributing both important and irrelevant bits of information whether actually correct or not. Though Caroline makes interesting conclusions and thinks very fast, Miss Marple does not actually work that way. Miss Marple schemes and collects her bits of information unobtrusively. Just like Poirot, she hints at the truth but doesn't really take us through her thought steps.

What do you think?

message 16: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

That's interesting about Caroline, Jessica - I think Miss M is maybe quite like this in the first couple of books she appears in, but then becomes a bit quieter and more in the background?

I seem to be in a minority in not liking this one so much as some of the others ... I really missed Hastings and am hoping he will return! I am still finishing off the last few stories in the previous collection, and enjoying his interaction with Poirot.

Jessica | 377 comments Judy wrote: "That's interesting about Caroline, Jessica - I think Miss M is maybe quite like this in the first couple of books she appears in, but then becomes a bit quieter and more in the background?

I seem ..."

That's true, Miss Marple does slowly transition into a semi-professional.

I also missed Hastings here! Poirot misses him too, isn't that sweet? I like how he often explains what he appreciates in Hastings. I thought he was very hard on Hastings in the short stories we read and often wondered why they were friends in the first place.

It was sweet that he missed Hastings. Here is an interesting article about him:

http://agathachristie.wikia.com/wiki/...

Tara  | 831 comments I'm shocked that I managed to avoid what the actual spoiler was in this story, although I knew it has a 'twist'. But I agree that once you know the outcome, you can still enjoy reading it on other levels.
While I also missed Hastings, it is interesting to view Poirot from an 'outsider's' perspective, almost like getting a fresh glimpse into the character. It also intriguing to see that despite the fact that Poirot is a real detective, and a rather famous one at that, that his skills and methods are still underestimated, right up until the end!