The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Group Read Discussions > May 2018 Group Read: Spoiler Thread for Six Four, by Hideo Yokoyama

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Apr 28, 2018 04:54AM) (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 9318 comments Mod
all spoilers for this book can go here.

message 2: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 91 comments Hello!! Spoilers welcome!!

What do you think of the book? Are you enjoying being immersed in Japanese culture?

message 3: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Radley | 558 comments Omg I love this book it’s absolutely engrossing.

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 91 comments I agree! The conspiracy, the missing girl, the culture of Japan and its police force.

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 91 comments Over halfway through, the politics in the police are insane!!

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 91 comments Just finished! Here's my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 7: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 41 comments I’m glad others thought this book was engrossing, I was weirdly addicted to it. While I enjoyed the book, there was a wobble towards the end where I thought there would be no more insight into the Six Four cold case. As enjoyable as it was, I felt I had invested so much time and brain power to the intricacies of Japenese police and journalist politics, that I would have happily buried the book in the garden if it had not rewarded me with some sort of conclusion. Cleverly done, did not see it coming, and the book will be safely returned to the library. :)

message 8: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 91 comments I had a problem. At one point, I thought he saw the ghost of the daughter. Loved the idea of the father of the daughter in the Six Four case calling all the numbers in the phone book.

message 9: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 41 comments Kirsten wrote: "I had a problem. At one point, I thought he saw the ghost of the daughter. Loved the idea of the father of the daughter in the Six Four case calling all the numbers in the phone book."

When did you think he saw the ghost!? I missed this! I guess you would see your loved one everywhere, I would be half-crazed trying to look.

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1483 comments I started this afternoon

message 11: by Corey (new)

Corey | 2 comments I also was weirdly addicted to it too! I picked up Six Four from the library a couple months ago and even though the size was daunting, I couldn’t put it down. Concerning the daughter- I wish there was a little more closure there but I also understand why the author chose to leave it as is. Also, one of my personal favorite parts is when the guys chews and swallows the note haha that part killed me.

message 12: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 41 comments Corey wrote: "I also was weirdly addicted to it too! I picked up Six Four from the library a couple months ago and even though the size was daunting, I couldn’t put it down. Concerning the daughter- I wish there..."

I too wish there was closure with the daughter, it’s such a sad story. Funnily enough, I also take after my Dad in looks! I’m not pretty but I do like my inherited baby chubby cheeks and friendly looking face. However, I think Yokoyama touched on an issue with how we’re all meant to be perfection these days (in regards to looks) especially in young people. I do get fed up of that. The world can be very judgmental :(

message 13: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 41 comments Corey wrote: "I also was weirdly addicted to it too! I picked up Six Four from the library a couple months ago and even though the size was daunting, I couldn’t put it down. Concerning the daughter- I wish there..."

PS: I was daunted by the size too! I had saved it online for library and when they brought it out the back I was surprised a thriller/crime book was so big! I love big books, but this has got to be the longest crime novel I’ve read.

message 14: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 91 comments Ellen wrote: "Corey wrote: "I also was weirdly addicted to it too! I picked up Six Four from the library a couple months ago and even though the size was daunting, I couldn’t put it down. Concerning the daughter..."

Me too! I couldn't believe the size when I picked it up at the library!!

message 15: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 91 comments For anyone who enjoyed this book, I just noticed that this book is being released on the 22nd:

Cult X by Fuminori Nakamura

CULT X written by Fuminori Nakamura, translated by Kalau Almony (Mystery/Thriller)
When Toru Narazaki’s girlfriend, Ryoko Tachibana, disappears, he tries to track her down, despite the warnings of the private detective he’s hired to find her. Ryoko’s past is shrouded in mystery, but the one concrete clue to her whereabouts is a previous address in the heart of Tokyo. She lived in a compound with a group that seems to be a cult led by a charismatic guru with a revisionist Buddhist scheme of life, death and society. Narazaki plunges into the secretive world of the cult, ready to expose himself to any of the guru’s brainwashing tactics if it means he can learn the truth about Ryoko. But the cult isn’t what he expected, and he has no idea of the bubbling violence he is stepping into.
Soho Crime | 9781616957865

If anyone's interested in doing a buddy read, let me know. I'm going to put a request in for it.

message 16: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1483 comments I'm having a hard time getting into this.

message 17: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 91 comments Sorry to hear that, Linda, but I can understand. Some of it is hard going. Guess I just loved being immersed in the culture.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 1212 comments The work environment/culture of Japan is incredible oppressive to me. The normal pressures of working with people seem horribly amplified by the necessity for overt and proper public display of adherence to heirarchy being more important than getting the work problem solved. Form first over everything of substance - goals, success, family, love, efficiency.

Beautiful women are obviously considered handicapped in a major way by their beauty throughout this police force, too, which is disgusting. All of the women are sidelined by all of the men, too. Mikami hardly ever utilizes the police women's network in his investigation, even his own wife and the wives of his officers despite that they are all calling and talking to each other about the cases, and that most of the wives were officers, too. Mikami only thinks to work his way through the old boy network, and he purposely cuts off any effort of the women to contribute what they know. If he is forced to listen to a woman talk about police work or add ideas or clear up a memory or give advicehe consistent turns red to his ears and feels ashamed.

I haven't finished the read, but I am feeling deeply resentful and angry about the overt and implied sexist discrimination mindset heavily imbedded in the work place and in all of the men. There are no female reporters either, or women police commanders.

All of this makes me easily see the male police worried more about their status and appearance of looking good to each other and also more concerned about successfully winning points over each other than in working together, of course, despite the fake facade of pulling together. All of the characters are weighed down by iron handcuffs of conformity. My god this book can feel stifling! I guess that means the author has successfully captured the culture.

message 19: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1483 comments I finished this this morning. I was rather impressed with the writing.

message 20: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 91 comments aPriL does feral sometimes wrote: "The work environment/culture of Japan is incredible oppressive to me. The normal pressures of working with people seem horribly amplified by the necessity for overt and proper public display of adh..."

Japanese culture does not make allowances for individualism. I can see how it would feel stifling and sexist. But, in other ways, it is much more harmonious. Of course, these same factors led to WWII since people are less likely to revolt against decisions by their "betters". Then again, they don't put their old people in homes and forget about them.

message 21: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 41 comments aPriL does feral sometimes wrote: "The work environment/culture of Japan is incredible oppressive to me. The normal pressures of working with people seem horribly amplified by the necessity for overt and proper public display of adh..."

It would be interesting to know if the author was faithfully writing Japenese culture and his personal experiences in these environments or whether his own sexism and thoughts of women in the workplace showed through? Perhaps they are the same, his culture defining his views. Even though I enjoyed this book, I felt endlessly frustrated with the women’s roles (or lack of) and hoped things have moved on a bit. I wonder how much shorter the book would have been if Mikami had just asked for some female help :)

message 22: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 41 comments Linda wrote: "I finished this this morning. I was rather impressed with the writing."

Yes, I thought the book was translated well. Did you enjoy it in the end? I thought the conclusion was satisfactory (I did worry the case would remain open) but I also felt I had wasted many hours on bizarre Japenese politics for reasons I don’t really understand ;)

message 23: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 91 comments I quite liked all the political intrigue. But that's just me. I also liked the insight into Japanese society. (I don't think I'd do well.)

What did you think of the guy that was methodically going through the phone book to find the guy who kidnapped his daughter?

message 24: by Ellen (last edited May 27, 2018 07:53AM) (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 41 comments Kirsten wrote: "I quite liked all the political intrigue. But that's just me. I also liked the insight into Japanese society. (I don't think I'd do well.)

What did you think of the guy that was methodically going..."

I enjoyed it too - that’s what I don’t understand!

Loved the phone book part (also fascinating to see how Japenese names are arranged) I did not expect the phone calls to be relevant, I thought they were there to make Mikami’s home life more poignant. And when they mentioned the blackened fingernail, I had a ‘it’s all coming together’ moment. I don’t know how realistic this plan was, but it was a clever ending. I had no idea how the police would solve the cold case with so little information (and so little progress in the book) and the genius solution was that they didn’t solve it at all.

message 25: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 91 comments I know. For much of the book, it was tough going... but then everything started happening.

message 26: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1483 comments The ending was ok. I rather wish he had a conclusion for the daughter though. That's what kept me reading.

message 27: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 91 comments Yes, also, there was one part where I thought he saw her.

message 28: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Radley | 558 comments Yes same I thought so too it felt like the author was giving a nudge towards a certain character. It wasn’t huge and was a blink and you’ll miss it but am sure there was a hint

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 1212 comments While I read this, I continuously wondered where this book was going, since it revealed itself more as a workplace drama (it was very cool as a study of Japanese culture - fascinating!). I was expecting a mystery like a noir or even a cozy, but this wasn't any of that. But like everyone said before, suddenly it all comes together! Wow! What a stunner of a finish! I never saw it coming, even when Mikami notice Amamiya's black finger. Extreme subterranean feelings! (Men are always 'fine', but their actions speak louder than words.. )

I really liked this book after all, but I felt frustrated while reading it. Silly me. I want to read it again, now that I know more what it was about.

: D

message 30: by aPriL does feral sometimes (last edited May 27, 2018 12:16PM) (new)

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 1212 comments Personally I think Ayumi has either been pulled into a yakuza underworld business or she is a suicide. She was really seriously mentally ill and only 16.

message 31: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 91 comments I really liked this book after all, but I felt frustrated while reading it.

My feelings exactly, April!

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Cult X (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Fuminori Nakamura (other topics)