UHS Honors English 9 P2 2017 discussion

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (Maya Angelou's Autobiography, #1)
This topic is about I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cedar (new)

Cedar | 8 comments I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Maya Angelou was a strong and renowned author and poet, releasing many powerful works such as And Still I Rise, Phenomenal Woman, Letter To My Daughter and her classic, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings. The title originates from Paul Laurence Dunbar’s poem, Sympathy where he describes a bird trying to escape his cage. Maya Angelou used the symbol of a caged bird to portray her struggle to free herself from racism, abuse and sexism during her childhood. Though the book was written in the late-60s, her literature translates to our modern society by providing insight and direction in the hardest of times. I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings is the perfect book for learning about your personal strength, as Maya Angelou did her entire life.
Throughout the 285-page book, Angelou brings us back to her childhood in Stamps, Arkansas, where her mother moved Maya and her brother to grow up with their grandmother. She describes her many battles with racism and a gruesome story of a trip to her mother that caused her to be mute for five years. The warmth of her heart prevails through the whole book, even in the darkest of times. In this autobiography, Angelou transports you through the good and the ugly. It is hard not to admire her ability to learn from every event in her childhood, no matter how scarring the time may have been for her. Her intellect and wisdom creates many powerful lessons to learn from, including the power of perseverance and knowing your worth, even as a black girl in the 30s.
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings is geared toward a mature audience who can handle heavy topics (i.e. rape, abuse, etc). Aside from that, the book is an easy read and is definitely a page turner. The literature contains a different event basically each chapter to progress the book along at a consistent speed. Her imagery is extremely descriptive, to the point where you feel as if you are in her shoes. It is almost hard to believe that all her life experiences are true. Some of the events she explains I would never wish on my worst enemy. Overall, this book is important to read during the developmental stage before adulthood to develop a stronger sense of self and improve your general outlook on life.

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie | 8 comments This book sounds very important to read. I have read some books that deal with the same topic of racism and sexism, and I always think they are important to spread for more to understand. When you mentioned how you would not wish things she went through on your worse enemy, it really showed me how terrible we treated people who were different, whether it be by gender or race. This book sounds like everyone should read it at least once in their lifetime, and I plan on reading it soon.

message 3: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 8 comments Wow, I really wish I had read this book. It sounds so deep and important for any and every person to read. I believe heavy topics such as abuse and rape should be discussed more is society as it actually happens and people struggle with it; this book seems like a good way of understanding that these topics are real. Your review definitely inspired me to put this book on my reading list as not only is Maya Angelou an inspiration for strong women but also that her story itself will inspire and motivate.

message 4: by Margaret (new)

Margaret  H | 4 comments The way that you wrote about the book intrigued me. The way that you explained the book was very deep, and meaningful. The way that you described how the book talks about rape really got to me. Especially because it is a very touchy subject in today's society, even though it happen more often than we think. It is amazing that some one could write such a fantastic book about such a touchy subject and is a book that I will diffidently read some time in the future.