Play Book Tag discussion

French Lessons: Adventures with Knife, Fork, and Corkscrew
This topic is about French Lessons
Archive: Other Books > French Lessons: Adventures with Knife, Fork, and Corkscrew / Peter Mayle. 2.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 9065 comments 2.5 stars

The author writes about food and wine in France.

I think I received this via a “white elephant swap” a while back. I’m not a foodie, and I’m sure someone who appreciates food, particularly French food, would get much more out of this. I found most of the food he discussed quite disgusting. I also don’t drink alcohol, including wine, though I think there was only one chapter on wine (maybe two?). At the same time, he actually is an engaging writer. And there were a couple chapters near the end that didn’t talk about food that I found more interesting – one was about food critics and travel guide ratings, and one was an entertaining chapter as the author and his wife stayed at a spa for a few days.

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6864 comments I read his A Year in Provence last year and quite enjoyed it. I am a foodie who does drink wine. I find any book which talks about food more enjoyable.

I would like to read more by him.

message 3: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Oh no! What foods did you find disgusting?!

Escargo is one of my favs, haha.

LibraryCin | 9065 comments Booknblues wrote: "I read his A Year in Provence last year and quite enjoyed it. I am a foodie who does drink wine. I find any book which talks about food more enjoyable.

I would like to read more by him."

I bet you'd like this one, then. It's just not for me.

LibraryCin | 9065 comments Joi wrote: "Oh no! What foods did you find disgusting?!

Escargo is one of my favs, haha."

Haha! Yes, that was one of them. :-)

Frogs legs was another. Luckily, he didn't go into detail about this one, but foie gras was mentioned a couple of times.