Brontë Book Club discussion

Jane Eyre > What to read next

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Powrie (lucythereader) | 21 comments Mod
Share your recommendations for books similar to Jane Eyre!

message 2: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Watson | 16 comments Jane Eyre's Daughter, by Elizabeth Newark is a great read. The title speaks for its self. It's a tale of how she grows up as an heiress without her parents being around. You'll have to read it to find out why...

message 3: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Watson | 16 comments That feeling when you find all the books you've been waiting to read in one library haul?

Well, I found Mr Rochester, by Sarah Shoemaker. Which seems to be Jane Eyre from his point of view. Beginning to his time in Jamaica. It has good reviews, so maybe it will make me warm to Rochester a little better. I find him a strange 'love interest'. My dark brooding type is a little more Mr Darcy...

message 4: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Flynn | 8 comments Re Jane is a sort of retelling of the Jane Eyre story as experienced by a Korean-American woman in Queens. Some parts of it worked better for me than others, but definitely an interesting take.

message 5: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Watson | 16 comments I've found another related book in my local library, 'Romancing Miss Bronte'. Should be an interesting read ☺️

message 6: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 1 comments Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys is a novel through Bertha Mason's point of view. Ever stopped to wonder what her side of the story is? This is a classic in the US.

message 7: by Jane (new)

Jane (janekc) | 7 comments ashappyasiget wrote: "Villette by Charlotte Bronte is awesometacular. I think i loved Villette more than Jane Eyre."

Me too! Villette is such a gem, I wish more people would read it

message 8: by Erin (new)

Erin | 6 comments Thrilled to see that others have enjoyed Villette! I feel that it doesn’t get the credit it deserves. It’s one of my favourites.

message 9: by CBell (new)

CBell | 5 comments Villette is wonderful to read after Jane Eyre. It's dark, mysterious, and full of similar deep richness that you find in Charlotte's writing.

message 10: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Watson | 16 comments I want to read Villette but heard it’s daunting. Is it difficult to read? Would love to cover it on the book club 👌🏻

message 11: by Madame Jane (last edited Jul 29, 2018 07:23PM) (new)

Madame Jane Hannah wrote: "I want to read Villette but heard it’s daunting. Is it difficult to read? Would love to cover it on the book club 👌🏻"

Its an incredible, and enjoyable read. Not daunting at all! It quickly became my favourite Bronte book. You will love Lucy Snowe.