Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

Indieworld News & Opportunities > Topics for IAM articles

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carole (last edited Apr 27, 2018 03:41PM) (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4639 comments Mod
It would be great if people shared different stories about what they’ve used to sell or promote their books. Don’t assume we all know about different options. Has anyone put their books in the various book fairs or shows? Has anyone attended a book conference? Foreign rights? What different ways have u done an audio book? Ingram or Createspace? Anybody ever collaborate? How did that go? Favorite place to write? Why did u pick the genre? If u could go back and change.. there’s a million good subjects.

message 2: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1432 comments Just sent RL an article.

message 3: by Cecily (new)

Cecily Wolfe | 19 comments I would love to write something, too - but I wasn't sure what to write. Thanks, Carole, for the ideas! I'll work on something - maybe since I'm a librarian in 'real life' I can write about what it's like to be both a librarian and author and the perspective that gives me.

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1183 comments I'm thinking, honestly I am, but not much is coming that would be of any use. Too tired tonight. Will try again tomorrow. Good night.

message 5: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments I pretty much regret everything I write for the magazine as soon as I’ve written it. I’m just no good at writing about writing.

message 6: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments Thanks. There’s so much I don’t know about writing. I know how to write but I can’t analyse how I did it or how it should be done. I’ve got my own opinions but I’m not very good at putting them into words compared to people who have university educations. I just wasn’t taught all the jargon.

Saying that, I’ve just written an article on my phone. I’ll send it in early next week when I’ve got better internet and a keyboard.

message 7: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn Wood | 54 comments Alex wrote: "Hi, everyone.

As many of you know, R.L. is always interested in receiving articles for Indie Authors Monthly, and some of us have submitted articles and seen them published, which is a wonderful ..."

Sorry, but RL Radio Liberty? I don't know the acronym - maybe the whole issue of acronyms or an acronym dictionary would be an idea for article(s)

message 8: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments RL Jackson-one of our authors who deals with lots of things including the IAM magazine.

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1183 comments How to maximise time spent on writing.

How to maximise efficiency in life so you can spend more time on writing.

Best I can manage...

message 10: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn Wood | 54 comments D.J. wrote: "RL Jackson-one of our authors who deals with lots of things including the IAM magazine."

Thank you, however I'm still in the dark. IAM could mean Institute of advanced motorists, Institute of asset management, Institute of Identity and Access Management or IAM French hip hop group. Probably this is a case of WDSSA*, but frustrating never the less.

*We don’t speak the same acronym

message 11: by Carole (last edited Apr 28, 2018 04:30AM) (new)

lol Indie Authors Monthly https://www.indieauthorsmonthly.com/j...

It's a magazine created by RL Jackson, Julie and me ( or is it I?) when we couldn't find afforable advertising for our books. RL came up with the idea and now, Anita, Erica, and Ben contribute to get it out every month. It's slick and attractive and a voice for indies.
We ask that everybody send it out to their mailing lists- we need indies to contribute fresh articles and keep it interesting. We ask for you to bring other author friends to do the same and the circle of cirulation will grow and widen. This was never about personal gain or pride (although I'm so proud of our efforts)- it was about showcasing indies who have no way to get into Publisher's Weekly or other publications.

None of us are making money on it- we've all subsidized it somehow-. Now, if we can show librarians the array of talent stuck without a voice- the range and diversity we share- perhaps we'll all make some book sales.

message 12: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn Wood | 54 comments Carole wrote: "lol Indie Authors Monthly https://www.indieauthorsmonthly.com/j...

It's a magazine created by RL Jackson, Julie and me ( or is it I?) when we couldn't find afforable advertising for our b..."

Thank you Carole, all clear. I did Google the acronym, but sadly did not get a link to the magazine. I've found that a free press release gets one into Google.

Looks great by the way.

message 13: by Carole (new)

That’s RL. She’s brilliant

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread