The Invention of Wings The Invention of Wings discussion

Who was your favorite character and why?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nea Who was your favorite character and why? I loved Charlotte, Handful's mom, for her strength and tenacity. She had a fire in her that couldn't be extinguished by anything. What a woman!

Carol That is a tough question for me. Both Sarah & Handful were suppressed. As Handful said to Sarah. The only difference is Handful is physically enslaved from freedom and Sarah is indentured as a woman. Google Opraha's interview with Sue Monk Kidd....insightful!

message 3: by Anna (last edited Sep 09, 2014 05:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna So hard to say. I too loved Charlotte, Handful's Mom for her independence. But also have to include Sarah and Handful. Sarah was a women far ahead of her time. Likely one of the first to break the glass ceiling.

Jamie It was a tie between Sarah and Handful. Both were woman before their time and had wonderful dreams and inspirations.

Tanya Harrison My favorite character was Charlotte. I enjoyed the strength of her resilient mind to keep from being in slavery despite her body being in slavery. I also enjoyed her creativity and ability to still provide for herself despite her barriers. Her strength was inspirational.

Tasha Spaulding I loved Handful, all that she had endured throughout the years and she did not let it take her spirit. She was a very powerful force in the book because when all was happening Sarah and Angelina would think of her.

message 7: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat I loved this book, and the two main characters, in my mind Sarah and Handful, were so close to equal in their importance.I don't think there could have been a story if one were without the other.

Perhaps, Sarah because she stepped far out of her comfort and expected behavior because her conscience would not allow her to do otherwise, in spite of her upbringing.
Then again, Handful, because I think she held on to her dreams and did things even if they were hard and she knew there would be retribution for them.

I also give credit to Nina and Charlotte. Without both of their influences and support, the story would not have proceeded as it did. What a great story. I think Sue Monk Kidd is an exceptional storyteller.

Elaine I'm torn between a fictitious character (Handful) and an actual one (Sarah). I'd choose Sarah, as she goes through a lot giving her speech limitations and is a woman beyond her time for sure.

message 9: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Beth Sara Grimkewas my favorite

message 10: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abby My favorite was Nina. Her spunk and passion about her beliefs was wonderful. She had the same beliefs as Sarah, but she acted on them more I felt.

message 11: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara Dahaabović My favorite was definitely Charlotte, Handful's mom, I loved her strength and persistence, I loved how she tried to document her story even though she's illiterate

message 12: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Nea wrote: "Who was your favorite character and why? I loved Charlotte, Handful's mom, for her strength and tenacity. She had a fire in her that couldn't be extinguished by anything. What a woman!"

I loved Charlotte! I guess it's easy for me to say in our "modern" world, as women, we can be like that, full of tenacity, grit and attitude and it's not frowned upon, or at least I don't CARE if it's frowned upon. But when I imagine her during that time period and being a slave and a woman it always lights a fire in me as well to remember where women were, where they came from to make the path for us today. She also made me feel her plight, her captivity, if you will, her desire to break free of those shackles! It makes me GRATEFUL for being a woman today, we do have many freedoms and opportunities. I can't even imagine how it would have been back then.