Huntsville-Madison County Public Library discussion

Just for Fun > Still reading something you started months ago? You’ve got ‘book-block’

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annie Lee (new)

Annie Lee Phillips (annieleephillips) | 1425 comments Mod
Yes, it's a thing. This librarian gave up the guilt long ago....too many books, too little time. What's your view on book-block? Do you persevere or move on?

https://www.theguardian.com/books/sho...

message 2: by L (new)

L | 5 comments At my age, after 80 pages, I can abandon. But I do get twinges if the title is mentioned.

message 3: by Brian Bess (new)

Brian Bess | 292 comments Mod
I usually persevere, especially if I've already read over 100-200 pages (in the case of books 500 pages and up). If I haven't reached p. 100 it's much easier to give up. After that, I feel more regret for investing that much time into a book only to give it up. I feel I owe it to myself to keep going on through toward the end. Then I can evaluate it as a whole.

message 4: by Annie Lee (new)

Thanks for the comments! Here is another perspective: https://electricliterature.com/its-ok...

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather (dragonflymornings) | 28 comments I find if I can't read something in book form, but the writing is good *and* the story line or subject is interesting, then I try it as an audiobook. For example Dickens, Twain, and many scientific non-fiction fall into that category for me. Dickens because his writing has never flowed for me, Twain because I *hate* reading accents, and some non-fiction because it can be a bit dry to concentrate on alone.

message 6: by Annie Lee (new)

That is a great suggestion! <3

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 4 comments I agree with life is too short, don't read books that you don't like. I think of it like tv shows. If I've watched a few episodes of a tv series, and I don't like it, I don't watch the next 5 seasons for completion sake. I made a special shelf in the goodreads website called "did not finish", and I put the book in there. So, I know that something about that book didn't appeal to me, and I can avoid another one like it.

I will go back to a book years later though and try to reread if it's a classic or highly rated. I think reader's current life stage can affect whether a book speaks to them or not.

message 8: by C (new)

C | 2 comments Jessica, I appreciate your suggestion. Most times I have persevered through a book; only to be disgusted at the end and think what a waste of time that was. I'm going to make a "did not finish" shelf" here as well. I think it will help.

message 9: by Annie Lee (new)

Jessica, what a thoughtful suggestion! I am going to do the same with the did not finish shelf- so many reasons why I might put a book down but perhaps years later maybe I would return to it!

message 10: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne I can't seem to not finish a book once i start it, even if I'm hating it. It's like a compulsion or something and probably has some deeper psychological meaning. that I should probably seek a therapist to explore but I don't want the book to beat me and it's like I need to know that I stuck it out so I can say I didn't like it even after giving it a complete chance. Clearly I have issues with letting go :P