Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Apache Wars by Paul Andrew Hutton(Decathlon)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 1011 comments The Apache Wars The Hunt for Geronimo, the Apache Kid, and the Captive Boy Who Started the Longest War in American History by Paul Andrew Hutton
5 stars
4/20/18
I have read this book but not ready to write a full review. I am going to reread parts and do a little research first. I will say this, it is not a quick read nor is it a pleasant one, very raw and eye-opening.
4/26/18
I wish I could say that most of this book is shocking but sad to say it is not. The Apache Wars is a page-turner that paints a raw, hard to swallow history of the Apache Wars. I was not able to do as much research as I would have liked to, for now, I will do more later. I wanted to read more from the references that he drew his information from. I found Paul Andrew Hutton work to be easy to follow and you can tell the care he took into his research and weaving the story together. I highly recommend this book.

message 2: by Cynda (new)

Cynda  (cynda) Hi Zippy. Does Hutton discuss Apaches in Texas? My dad identifies as being Native American and Texan. I am asking so I can better determine if this a book I might to buy him.
Good luck with your research.

message 3: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 1011 comments Cynda wrote: "Hi Zippy. Does Hutton discuss Apaches in Texas? My dad identifies as being Native American and Texan. I am asking so I can better determine if this a book I might to buy him.
Good luck with your r..."

Yes, it has a lot to offer about Texans and some of the events that happen in Texas. Hutton talks about the civil war, Apache tribes and the trails they used as well as the withdrawal from the Union and its impact on the tribes. Other interest in Texas, Nana's raid, Victorio's War the impact on the Apaches on having to move out of their homelands and the interactions with the Texas Rangers.
I would recommend it if he identifies as being a Native American for that alone but add on Texan, you can't miss if buying him this book.
I live in New Mexico so I too have my own interest in the subject.