What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

April Witch
This topic is about April Witch
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Fiction/Suspense Hardcover book read in early 2000's (04 to 06) about a girl in hospital whose doctor is also her father or family relative, girl communicates through some sort of technology, also has out of body experiences. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ghouleh (new) - added it

Ghouleh Slymenstra | 4 comments I read this book between 2004 and 2006 -- I can distinctly recall the cover of the hardback copy I picked up at a library book sale: the cover had an overview shot, but placed vertically, of a girl wrapped in some sort of gauzy sheet and was surrounded by butterflies.

The only plot details that have stuck with me are that the main character, a female, possibly a teen or a young adult, is bedridden in a hospital. Her only form of communication is through some sort of Stephen Hawking-esque technology, given to her by her doctor, who is also her father or some other familial relative. The main character also has, I think, out-of-body experiences -- I remember a sort of supernatural phenomenon going on with her, nothing exceptionally paranormal, but perhaps a little more psychological. I do not recall any other major plot details other than these, unfortunately.

Really, the only thing that has stuck with me is the cover of the book. As it was a hardback, it could have been published around the time I read it, but I am unsure. It seemed like a recent publication of a fiction book, though. I classified it as suspense in the post's title as I recall elements of adding/building up towards a big reveal (possibly due to her condition, relationship with her doctor, and her out-of-body experiences).

Thank you in advance to all who lend a hand here -- this is essentially the one book I just can't remember for the life of me and it's been eating away at me for some time now (as I am sure this discussion group understands all too well).

message 2: by Kris (last edited Apr 29, 2018 09:45AM) (new)

Kris | 36503 comments Mod
Kelsey, how (im)mobile is the girl? How does she communicate using the technology (e.g., uses cheek muscles, types on a keyboard)?

How does she become bedridden in the hospital? (Spoilers are okay - just give us a clear warning before revealing a spoiler.)

Is this a young adult fantasy or science fiction novel?

message 3: by Andria (last edited Apr 29, 2018 11:50AM) (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2502 comments Mod
The Adoration of Jenna Fox, maybe? The Adoration of Jenna Fox (Jenna Fox Chronicles, #1) by Mary E. Pearson

Published in 2008, so maybe too late but worth mentioning.

message 4: by Ghouleh (last edited Apr 30, 2018 10:14AM) (new) - added it

Ghouleh Slymenstra | 4 comments Kris -- From what I recall, the girl is fairly immobile; she can maybe move her head. And I think she breathes into the technology used to communicate for her, but that detail is quite fuzzy. I wish I could give defining spoilers, but sadly this is one fuzzy book in my memory. It was most definitely NOT a YA novel, nor was it classified as strictly sci-fi. It seemed like a Contemporary Fiction piece.

Andria -- this is a good suggestion, but I'm fairly certain that's not it (though it seems like something up my alley!). Thank you!

The search continues

message 5: by Andria (new)

Oh, I think I might have found it! April Witch April Witch by Majgull Axelsson

message 6: by Ghouleh (new) - added it

Ghouleh Slymenstra | 4 comments Andria wrote: "Oh, I think I might have found it! April Witch April Witch by Majgull Axelsson"

Andria, this is it! (And found at the end of April, no less!) Thank you so very much! :)

message 7: by Andria (new)

You're welcome! Happy to help. :)