The Filipino Group discussion

Books, Books, Books > Other active Goodreads groups that you enjoy for the discussion and group reads like The Filipino Group?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paolo (new)

Paolo I'm new here, but I was following the July book discussion closely and I really liked how it was structured and was active, and that it's something that seems to apply for a lot of the Buddy Reads here as well :)

I hope asking about other groups inside the group isn't foul, but I was wondering if maybe there are others here who are also members of other groups that they enjoy for the activity and group reading style similar to The Filipino Group?

I ask because I was looking to join maybe a couple other groups, but haven't had much luck so far from just looking at the GR groups page.

message 3: by Angus (new)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments I only lurk and browse the threads in other groups (like NYRB Classics and 1001 Books) for news and recos. But I don't participate in their discussions. I like it here because I know the people, so yeah, come and join the online and offline discussions. ;)

Also, just to set your expectations right, the structure of the discussions depends on the discussion leader(s). You might want to check the past discussions to see any differences.

message 4: by Paolo (new)

Paolo Oh I thought there was a standard format to the online discussions :) Thanks for clarifying that Angus. I enjoyed following the A Tale of Two Cities discussion.

message 5: by Angus (new)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments The "standard" format is to create an online discussion thread, which contains the proposed reading plan, dates for any activities, and discussion questions. All of these are optional though. It really depends on what the discussion leader(s) think is best and also on the amount of time that they have (we admit that life gets in the way).

Then there is the F2F thread where all the details about the meetup are placed.

I agree that the thread for A Tale of Two Cities is filled with so many references and additional info. We have to thank our fabulous discussion leaders for that. They felt that the information provided would help the readers in understanding the book (that's what they said anyway, hehe).