Play Book Tag discussion

April 2018: Strong Women > To Die But Once - Winspear - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jgrace (last edited Apr 25, 2018 10:49AM) (new)

Jgrace | 3112 comments To Die but Once (Maisie Dobbs, #14) by Jacqueline Winspear

To Die But Once - Winspear
Audio performance by Orlagh Cassidy
4 stars

Fourteen books in and I’m still enjoying this historical mystery series that began during WW1. The characters are now facing the first year of the 2nd war. Maise Dobbs, psychologist and investigator, must uncover the homefront fraud and treachery that are lurking behind the murder of a 14 year old painter. According to the author’s website, inspiration for this story’s mystery plot came from her father’s experience as a painter’s apprentice early in the WW2. The historical details of the mystery feel realistic and well researched. As with most of the books, there is a feminist undercurrent to the story. Maise is a single woman, a widow, in an unusual occupation. She tends to defy conventional expectations.

I enjoyed a good visit with the recurring characters of this series. The drama of the Dunkirk small boat rescue was a suspenseful side plot. I think this was one of the better books in the series. All of the action seemed to move along at a good clip, including the personal plotlines of each of the familiar characters.

I find Orlagh Cassidy occasionally annoying. Her Scottish accent is garbled, and sometimes she’s overly dramatic and breathy. This doesn’t prevent me from enjoying the story. I listen when I’m driving and read the text when I’m at home.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments My boss RAVES about this series! It sounds so interesting and I hear that the audio is good. Have you listened to any of them?

I have several series on my TBR list, including this one, but am always hesitant to start too many series and, for now, the In Death series by Nora Roberts is my series of choice.

message 3: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3112 comments I think I've listened to most of them. The first two or three books have different readers, but most of them use Cassidy. She's really OK, just not my favorite.