Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Group Reads Archive > September 2014 Random Read Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Aug 01, 2014 12:26AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 4671 comments Mod
Thought we'd do another random theme month for our group read, since we usually do it twice a year and we have only done one month so far. You can nominate any book that fits the guidelines of our group reads.

Considerations:

1. All nominations must be added using the 'add book/author' function above the text box (where you post comments or replies) with an official link to the book on Goodreads. If the book is not nominated with a Goodreads link, it will not be added to the poll.

2. Books from past group reads are not eligible for renomination. You can find a list of past reads here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

3. Books should be readily available, in other words, can be bought new in print or in the ebook format.

4. Books must either be the first in an ongoing series or able to be read as a standalone despite being part of a series.

The poll will go up on August 3rd.

message 2: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1962 comments Mod
I think I'll nominate a book that I've been wanting to read for quite some time now.

Heroes Die Heroes Die (The Acts of Caine, #1) by Matthew Woodring Stover

Here is the summary: Rife with magic and adventure, this extraordinarily ambitious fantasy chronicles the adventures of Hari Michaelson--merely a popular actor on Earth, but a renowned and deadly assassin known as Caine, the Blade of Tyshalle, on the planet Overworld.

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 4671 comments Mod
Good suggestion, Lisa!

message 4: by Magiccats (last edited Jul 29, 2014 02:43PM) (new)

Magiccats | 280 comments I nominate "Precipice" by Leland Davis

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
When risking your life for thrills grows old, some things are still worth dying for. . .

Adventurer, expert kayaker, and professional river guide Chip Wilson is wrestling with the recent death of his best friend in a kayaking accident when he's hired to train a team of former Navy SEALs for the whitewater rafting portion of an adventure race. But when he learns the team is secretly training for a covert mission that they can't complete without him, Chip is swept into a harrowing world of special operations and intrigue that plunges him deep into the jungles of Mexico and far from his comfort zone - where he embarks upon his own quest to become the first person to kayak off a mysterious hidden waterfall.

In the remote jungle canyon, Chip uncovers a plot that leads him all the way back to the halls of power in Washington, DC, and over the edge into the life of an assassin. .

message 5: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Magiccats wrote: "I nominate "Precipice" by Leland Davis

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
When risking your life for thrills grows old, some things are still worth dying for. . .

Adventu..."

I've read Precipice...great story!

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

No Mercy by John Gilstrap is my nomination.

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Since we only have three nominations, I'm going to extend the nomination period until Sunday, August 3.

message 8: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 9 comments Great nomination, Danielle. Anything by John Gilstrap is very good. I am starting End Game now.

The Leland Davis books sounds good too. I have not read anything by him. Thanks for the intro to this book Magiccats and Lisa.

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

I'm glad to hear John Gilstrap is good, Dawn!

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

The September group read poll is up. It closes on August 11th.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

I wasn't paying enough attention apparently. Precipice has already been a group read. We are going to have to go with the next voted book, Heroes Die.

I apologize for the oversight.

message 12: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Danielle, no reason to apologize it's all good!! : )

message 13: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 9 comments Just a question - can the next book in the series or by Leland Davis be a group read? I know we always start with the first ones in the series or by the author. Thanks again for organizing!

message 14: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 9 comments Btw - I meant my question to be about possible choices for group reads in the future not for this month.

message 15: by Magiccats (last edited Aug 11, 2014 02:58PM) (new)

Magiccats | 280 comments Sorry, that was my mistake. Forgot it was already a group read. I obviously can't keep my books straight. LOL.

message 16: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Magiccats wrote: "Sorry, that was my mistake. Forgot it was already a group read. I obviously can't keep my books straight. LOL."

Funny that "precipice" won twice...I really enjoyed it. I just spent my day today whitewater rafting and was telling someone how good the book was!

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Dawn wrote: "Btw - I meant my question to be about possible choices for group reads in the future not for this month."

Dawn wrote: "Just a question - can the next book in the series or by Leland Davis be a group read? I know we always start with the first ones in the series or by the author. Thanks again for organizing!"

Hi Dawn. Yes, the second book in a series we have already started is eligible for nomination.

message 18: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Magiccats wrote: "Sorry, that was my mistake. Forgot it was already a group read. I obviously can't keep my books straight. LOL."

I can't be upset with you because I didn't catch it at first either. No worries.

message 19: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Eileen wrote: "Danielle, no reason to apologize it's all good!! : )"

Thanks!

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Roberts I'd like to add my book 'Ivory Wild' by Lady Elizabeth Tullos.

Charlotte Durach must survive the African wild and centuries old, human trafficking violence to save her fiance, protect endangered elephants and escape being sold into slavery or.....worse.

A beautiful and brilliant, second grade educator, Charlotte struggles to believe she is worthy of her fiance, zoologist, Quin McRae, fifth born son of a mega-wealthy and highly respected West Texas ranching family.

She is determined to overcome a paralyzing fear of large animals, the result of a cattle-roundup accident that took her grandfather's life. She embarks on an environmental mission to Lake Chad, Africa to study the environmental issues surrounding the lake and experience the wildlife, from afar.

Quinn, traveling to Chad with Charlotte, leaves Lake Chad and Charlotte to study the endangered elephants near Zakouma National Park where he is kidnapped by the ruthless ivory poacher Abukar Kabadi.

Horrified when she sees first hand the atrocity of ivory poaching, the senseless slaughter of elephants for nothing more than greed, Charlotte wages a one-woman war against Abukar for Quinn's survival and to protect the elephants.

Ivory Wild is an high-action novel full of adventure, that highlights the current problems that Africa faces on a daily basis. Events in the book are taken from actual headlines of newspapers and online news from Africa and around the world such as, hundreds of young girls being kidnapped at one time with no laws in place to protect them, thousands of elephants being slaughtered for their ivory with the money from the sale of the ivory going to fund terrorist groups worldwide,, as well as an ineffective government and hundreds of thousands of refugees fleeing for their lives. I want to emphasize these troubles. Websites are listed at the back of the book and hopefully my readers will take action to help make a difference.

Discover how strong female heroines really are. Powerful and resourceful women are amazing when faced with a crisis. I feel we need strong role models for our young women so they understand that having an unwavering code of ethics and strong moral values will see them through the tough times......no matter what.

Amazon Kindle http://www.amazon.com/Ivory-Wild-Tril...

message 21: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Hello, Elizabeth. We ask that authors don't nominate their own books. Besides, the nomination period has already passed.