Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Listing order, multiple author names

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by annob (last edited Apr 24, 2018 12:06PM) (new)

annob | 1728 comments Hi, I'm a Librarian who needs a bit of advice. Topic is correct listing order of multiple author names, when the listing order on the cover art vary between different editions.

I understand primary author needs to be the same in order to technically combine editions. But I have also seen editions already combined with different primary name, which can only mean the order of names can be changed after editions has been combined. So my question is if I should change each edition author name listing according to edition cover art AFTER I've completed combining them?

If the answer is all editions should have the same author name listing order, which is the factor to decide the order? First edition order applies to all? Or majority of edition order has priority?

An example, 1st edition has a name listing order on the cover, not followed by the cover art of the two newer editions:
First edition: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
Second edition: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
Third edition: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45491 comments Mod
annob wrote: "But I have also seen editions already combined with different primary name, which can only mean the order of names can be changed after editions has been combined. So my question is if I should change each edition author name listing according to edition cover art AFTER I've completed combining them?"

Please DON'T do that. A number of functions don't work properly when the different editions have different authors as primary.

The primary author should be determined by the first published edition.

message 3: by annob (new)

annob | 1728 comments Understood, and thank you for clarifying.

message 4: by annob (last edited May 07, 2018 11:20PM) (new)

annob | 1728 comments Hi again rivka,

I just noticed this guideline text on the Create New Book page, and given your comment above, it looks like it could use an update regarding author listing order across multiple editions.
"Guidelines:
Authors: Add authors in the order they are listed on the book cover, or alphabetically if there is no cover or various editions disagree."
www.goodreads.com/book/new

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

That is the general guideline. It's not possible to have every exception from the Manual on the add book page, and it would be pretty confusing if we tried.

message 6: by annob (new)

annob | 1728 comments Sorry, it might be me that is confused, but isn't the instruction "primary author should be determined by the primary edition" if listing order varies across different edtions, conflicting with "alphabetical ... if various editions disagree"?

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

This scenario, with different editions with very distinct publication order is far less common than the one where 3 editions are simultaneously published in the US, the UK, and Australia -- each with a different order.

message 8: by annob (new)

annob | 1728 comments Ah ok, then I understand the logic and reasoning better. Thank you for taking time to explain the details of the rule.