The Walt Longmire Book Series & TV Show Group discussion

Discussion Topics > Which of the books stories would you like to see on the TV show that they haven't done yet and why?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sierra (last edited Jul 27, 2014 07:10PM) (new)

Sierra I really hoped they would do Death without Company. It gave insight into Lucien's past and I enjoyed that book. Gave a look at Basque culture.

Junkyard Dogs like the story, kept me guessing
The Spirit of Steamboat Lucien, Walt, old plane, Doc Bloomfield.
I wish they could incorporate the Messenger short into a larger story arc. It's so funny.

I'd like to see Any Other Name too just because of so much Vic and Lucien and was one of the funniest books along with Messenger but not unless they get the Walt/Vic relationship going and matured and they could do the true sarcastic Vic and her interaction with Lucien.

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark | 34 comments Another Man's Moccasins - would make a great show with the war flash backs and the intense story solving the murder.

message 3: by Kismet (new)

Kismet | 12 comments I'd like to see an adaptation of Kindness Goes Unpunished. Vic's family is fabulous, and her mom and Walt had an interesting dynamic that could be a good counterpoint to Vic and Walt's attraction.

message 4: by Sierra (new)

Sierra Kismet wrote: "I'd like to see an adaptation of Kindness Goes Unpunished. Vic's family is fabulous, and her mom and Walt had an interesting dynamic that could be a good counterpoint to Vic and Walt's attraction."

I agree I was just hesitant on suggesting that book and bringing in Vic's family and have her mother go after Walt given all the venom visited upon Vic already for just maybe having feeling for Walt while still married. Vic's mother is still married to her father after all but she wanted Walt. Vic made the move on Walt to beat her mother to it.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan (mtnred) | 47 comments I'd like to see some of the little scenes from certain books put into the show because they really humanize the characters. And, where's Dog? He is part of Walt's family. For example, One of the scenes I'd love to see is Walt reading to the Kindergartners (Kindness goes Unpunished). He was no match for them and it was cute. Some of the buddy scenes between Walt and Henry in the books are great. I'd like to see more of that, too. The show gets intense and some of the humor is missing that we see in the books. And the "old ones" who follow Longmire around when he's in trouble-the show has hinted at the spiritual side but that's about it.

message 6: by Sierra (new)

Sierra Susan wrote: "I'd like to see some of the little scenes from certain books put into the show because they really humanize the characters. And, where's Dog? He is part of Walt's family. For example, One of the..."

I agree they are not doing enough on the TV show with Henry in general and with Henry and Walt in particular. They have a had moments of humor but not as much as in the books. They need to ramp up the humorous side of Walt, Henry and Vic.

message 7: by Rudi (new)

Rudi | 2 comments I totally agree about Dog. I was thinking about that last night. And a little more humor would be nice. Walt has such a good sense of humor in the books.

message 8: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Brenda (butterflyprincess) | 212 comments Mod
Marie had sent this to me when she first came into the group so I'll post here for further discussion.

In response to why Dog is not in the series, it is simple. No matter how well trained, the cast and crew is enormous, any dog will get distracted and re-act to noises. It's hard enough with the people to behave properly and on cue, but a dog is even harder. Having trained horses, dogs and cats, yes I said cats, it is very time consuming to get just one scene right without 5-10 takes. THEN add the people, and you can have a very long day to get it all done and keep to a budget and schedule. I hope this clears up why they skipped over Dog.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan (mtnred) | 47 comments Thanks for the update. Animals and children are hard to deal with in a tv show. It's totally understandable but it just seems like a part of the family is missing.

message 10: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Brenda (butterflyprincess) | 212 comments Mod
Yes Walt seems incomplete without dog. And it is understandable that they would not want to deal with a dog or it's expense.

message 11: by Marie (last edited Aug 04, 2014 01:38PM) (new)

Marie | 22 comments Mod
I love Horse in the series. I have a story about working with bad actors and horses for a TV show. In 1977 I was doing the Hawaii Five-O TV show with Jack Lord filmed exclusively there. I was 22 and just starting out. The scene called for Susan Sullivan to sit on her horse, say her lines and ride down the beach away from Andrew Prine that was the bad guy. She did not like horses, and they did NOT like her. As much as I tried to get her to relax and not be so heavy handed, she yelled at the horse and everyone else.
I finally got so mad, I told her to get off. I spoke to the director after 6 takes that failed miserably and said, let me do this. Susan sat on the horse, did her lines while I held him kneeling on the ground rubbing his chest to stay still. We re-set camera angles and I rode the horse down the beach away from camera and we got it in 2 takes. Working with animals is a joy, some actors, not so much. I'm being kind lol

message 12: by Janet (new)

Janet Washer | 23 comments I don't agree, Sierra. Yes, Lena likes Walt, but Vic has been wanting Walt for some time - the situation in Philly just brought it into focus for her.

message 13: by Janet (new)

Janet Washer | 23 comments I agree about reading to the kindergartners. That would be priceless. After that, Walt would REALLY need a drink!

message 14: by Janet (new)

Janet Washer | 23 comments Re Vic's family - to go to Philly, takes it out of Wyoming, but her family could come to Durant to see Vic (meet Walt if things progress.) See if Cady/Michael becomes a thing/plays on TV, or whether Branch is still in the picture, etc., or even Ferg...will be interesting to see how the writers handle all that. Love Vic's dad the opera singer and Lena who has a thing for Walt (not on TV).