Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

HELP! > Website advice please

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments I have a blogger thingy that hasn't been updated in ages in favour of earning pennies from Medium.

Whilst on Medium this morning I stumbled on an article stating that all authors should have a personal website, not just a wordpress/blogspot one.

My questions are:

1. Do you think that's true?

2. Does anywhere claiming to host free websites actually host websites for free? A lot of them claim to be free and then say it's £x a month.

3. If you have one, who do you use to host your website?

Thanks.

message 2: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 861 comments 1. No, not true at all. Especially not if you’re just getting started. A nice, engaging blog to start you off while you build a fanbase is all you need. Otherwise you’re just going to have a website that practically no one visits.

2. In my experience; nope.

3. I like hosts that basically include wordpress setup so, Strato, Hostgator and Bluehost. I HATE GoDadddy.

message 3: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments My issue is, I don't like the look of my blogspot and am not keen on their templates which might have changed since I last looked.

I am already paying £115 a year for 1&1 to host my domain name and email. It seems they want an extra £6.99 a month to host a website.

message 4: by Alexis (last edited Apr 24, 2018 03:29AM) (new)

Alexis | 861 comments D.J. wrote: "My issue is, I don't like the look of my blogspot and am not keen on their templates which might have changed since I last looked.

I am already paying £115 a year for 1&1 to host my domain name an..."

Oofff, I wouldn’t get a new contract with them because that price is outrageous.

You get a domain, 1000 e-mail addresses and one-click Wordpress installation for £ 48 pounds per year with Strato.

Can you give your me your website address?
Why not create a free wordpress blog for D.J. Cooper. You can make it look expensive as shit without going through a lot of trouble.

message 5: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4639 comments Mod
Put what you run on medium on your blog and draw people to both. When it's an original article- I do that. I also search for my old articles on my blog and post them to Medium.

message 6: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments I'm on 1&1.co.uk and it's £8.99 a month plus VAT. I've had it for years. I suspect it does more than I know how to use.

message 7: by D.J. (last edited Apr 24, 2018 03:50AM) (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments Alex, I always thought your WordPress was very good.

Yes, Carole I was thinking of putting Medium content onto the blog just to keep it updated. I'm not a fan of my current blogger effort.

I've just phoned 1&1. In my current £8.99 a month package I am entitled to a WordPress website (and others I've never heard of.)

So I suppose that's my easiest option. Keep that and use their WordPress option. He mentioned about upgrading my plus package to pro which instead of being £9.99 would be £6.99 (and after 12 months would no doubt cost me £9.99)

message 8: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments Yours is better that this:

http://barkingmaddj.blogspot.co.uk/

I created a better website than my blogspot a decade ago for my other business.

I think for the sake of ease I'm inclined to stay where I am and pay this £115 a year and add a WordPress website to it.

If anyone has any advice on that, I'd be grateful.

message 9: by D.J. (last edited Apr 24, 2018 04:17AM) (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments Gosh.

I'm working on http://djsworld.co.uk

Nothing on it yet. That's just the default setup with my domain name. Just gosh!

message 10: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments I just clicked a button and that appeared. lol

message 11: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments It's now full of stuff I need to delete. I keep finding it. It's everywhere.

message 12: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments The current one is one Alexis did for me for Twitter. IT FITS yay. Thank you Alexis.

I've got two home pages... why?

message 13: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments It depends on what one means by a "personal" website. I suspect they mean a "personal" URL, that is a URL that can be your name or some other memorable thing you pick and not something that has the Wordpress brand (or whatever) as part of it.

The value in having a personal URL is that it is easy to remember and find. If you know you're looking for me, and you know my byline reads Dale E. Lehman, you can easily go to or find www.DaleELehman.com.

The rest of it is largely a matter of how technical you are. I have a Wordpress site, but it's not hosted through Wordpress. I use a hosting company called 123ehost.com (which is a Canadian company). I've been with them since 2001, and have hosted several sites through them. Because I'm a software developer, I've been able to employ a varitey of techniques, from writing my own site from scratch to using Wordpress (for my author site and the current incarnation of Planet Baha'i) to Drupal (for my e-commerce sites for One Voice Press and Serpent Cliff). I pay for a business hosting account right now, which is a bit pricey but was necessary to get certain features I needed for smooth operation of my e-commerce sites. However, that lets me host a number of sites under one plan, so in effect I'm paying for my business sites and piggybacking everything else onto it for free.

Many hosts do offer software packages such as Wordpress, so you can do this kind of thing without being uber-technical. But you do have to go pay for a domain name (and possibly several), buy the hosting plan, and learn how to use the provider's tools to get your site up and running. I like 123ehost because they are not too expensive, they provide good customer support, and I find their tools fairly intuitive, for the most part.

message 14: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 861 comments Dale wrote: "It depends on what one means by a "personal" website. I suspect they mean a "personal" URL, that is a URL that can be your name or some other memorable thing you pick and not something that has the..."

But everyone Googles these days instead of just typing the address directly in the bar, so you’re just as easily found if you have a blog or if you have a personal domain, right?

You can also link to your Blog via Goodsreads and on the final page of your book, making a personal website not really a necessity these days. In my opinion, of course.

message 15: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments I have a basic WordPress question. The template came with a blog page. When I add a new post that goes onto the home page. Do I need a separate Blog menu item? It's empty despite me posting a few words.

message 16: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 861 comments Alex wrote: "D.J. wrote: "The current one is one Alexis did for me for Twitter. IT FITS yay. Thank you Alexis.

I've got two home pages... why?"

I suspected it was an Alexis job, it has her style, but didn't w..."

He. I have a style, he.

You need to choose the Category of posts that appear on your homepage in settings, Amy: for example, you can name the category HOME and then you can amend the reading/writing section in the settings so that all the posts you save under HOME will appear on the HOME page.

And then you have to do the same, but then for a Blog Category that will then be accessed via the Blog link.

message 17: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments OK thanks. I think I've sorted it. I think I prefer the idea of a static home page.

I think it's basically there. It needs a bit of tidying. But I need copious amounts of coffee.

http://djsworld.co.uk

message 18: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments Alexis wrote: "Dale wrote: "It depends on what one means by a "personal" website. I suspect they mean a "personal" URL, that is a URL that can be your name or some other memorable thing you pick and not something..."

True, although there may (note I say "may") be some advantage in having a personal URL because search engines might give a site a bit of a bump if the URL seems to match the search terms.

In my case, I feel it's worth it, because believe it or not, there is another Dale E. Lehman out there who has published some books. He's an economics professor and has published in his field, but there could be some confusion between us for those who don't know. I own the URL matching our name. ;-)

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread