The Great Gatsby The Great Gatsby question

Even though Gatsby has been back and became a super rich person, why Daisy did not be with Gatsby at last?
Ariane Ning Ariane Apr 23, 2018 06:11PM
As we all know, Daisy loved money so much and she married Tom because of his money and status. However, Gatsby became a super rich person at last, but why Daisy still did not go with him? Why Daisy did not call him?

Daisy was nothing more than an opportunist. While being head over heads in love with Gatsby in the young days, she does not even wait for him and gets married to Tom Buchanan. Later, when he again enters her life, this rich and handsome man who's still crazy for her and she sees that now he has everything which'll make her happy other than just the love(which apparently was not enough foe her earlier), she decides to part ways with Tom now. But in the end, she shows her true colors when even after when Gatsby saves her from the accusation of murder, she runs away without even a goodbye. She and Tom had practically not much of a difference in their lives before or after Gatsby.

Monty J (last edited Feb 02, 2019 10:42AM ) Apr 25, 2018 10:36PM   1 vote
Ariane wrote: "As we all know, Daisy loved money so much and she married Tom because of his money and status. However, Gatsby became a super rich person at last, but why Daisy still did not go with him? Why Daisy..."

Gatsby was a criminal. He was revealed as a bootlegger and something worse by Tom at the meeting at the Plaza Hotel, and that's then Daisy rejected him. Who in their right mind would want to be with a criminal who has no future but prison?

Daisy was wise to leave him and return to Tom.

Later after Gatsby is dead, Nick intercepts a phone call intended for Gatsby at his mansion from someone named Slagel who reveals that Gatsby was part of an illicit bond scheme and also reveals that the law is onto their scheme. This confirms that Gatsby was a big time criminal and soon to be apprehended. This further confirms that Daisy made the right decision.

Tom's comparative wealth wasn't the issue because Daisy was ready to leave him for Gatsby until she found out he was a criminal, whereupon she promptly decided to stay with Tom.

The Old Money-New Money theme is mere backstory. The main theme was corruption, as evidenced by the bad behavior of the characters and repetitive supporting symbols: ashes, dust, the judging eyes of Dr. Eckelburg and Wilson's comment, "God sees everything" ... You may fool me, but you can't fool God!'"

Gatsby was punished for his corruption even in death, as Daisy didn't attend the funeral or even send flowers. Nor was the funeral attended by the hundreds who came to his parties (most of whom were "brought" according to the owl-eyed man). A mere handful showed up, among them the "owl-eyed man" who rendered judgement: "The poor sonofabitch."

A strong case can be made the book was inspired by T.S. Eliot's elegy, "The Wasteland," published in 1922. Fitzgerald began planning The Great Gatsby the following year.

The final line cinches it: "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." The struggle against corruption is endless.

I think we should consider how much this story parallels with the story of Zelda and Scott. The story of Gatsby and Daisy seems to be what might have happened if Zelda hadn't got back with Scott, in a fantasized/romanticized light. To do this, also consider the time. Daisy loved her daughter, as absent a mother she is by today's standards. At this time, the law would have sided with Tom and Daisy, if she divorced, wouldn't see her daughter anymore. Zelda was in the same situation with Scott; hating him, wanting a divorce, staying to keep their daughter in life.

Tom also represents a lot of F. Scotts' negative traits, and Zelda was afraid of those, but there were many things she loved, so if Tom represents the Scott that Zelda married and Gatsby is the Scott Zelda left behind, it's clear to see that though Tom might be mean, sometimes cruel, a cheater, a drinker, he was also someone she could actually depend on to care for her and to love her. Gatsby is the side of Scott that was flighty, fanciful, non-committed (to work, not to women), and just trying to show off, make something of himself. Tom may have been a cheater, but I think, like F. Scott, he cheated because Daisy didn't always conform to the ideals of women at the time, like Zelda.

Gary (last edited Feb 04, 2019 12:53AM ) Jan 20, 2019 11:33PM   0 votes
A few points:

Gatsby isn't as rich as Tom. Gatsby has money, but Tom is old (by American standards) money. This is, by and large, the theme of the novel: the American version of the difference between wealth and money.

Gatsby has a mansion and a big car, but Tom has a much bigger mansion, and all the trappings, including a history of financial security and position of dominance in what I like to call the American Brahman class. Daisy may have, arguably, loved Gatsby at one point in her past, but she still made her decision to marry Tom very consciously right up until her wedding day, and she appears to have based her decision on that. Gatsby getting money tweaks the situation, but it hasn't fundamentally changed that dynamic. He's "got money" in the sense that he might be "rich" but he's not wealthy.

There have been a few folks who have looked at how much money Gatsby has compared to Tom, and I remember seeing one (sorry, it was a while ago, and I don't have the reference handy) that pointed out that Gatsby may have been rich, but he also bleeds a lot of cash with a lot of conspicuous spending; those lavish parties and gifts. His revenue stream/investment capital isn't nearly as secure as Tom's would appear to be. If Daisy is interested in anything, it's money, and I'd argue that even without events like the hit and run, and Gatsby's inability to swim with a bullet proof vest on, she'd still have stayed with the more prosperous one. She does, after all, appear to make that decision before Myrtle is killed.

There's a routine from Chris Rock where he talks about the difference between being rich and being wealthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeOUt...

If you're rich, you can still lose your money. You can even lose it overnight. One tough weekend in Vegas and that's it. If you're wealthy then it's pretty near impossible to lose that status. Society is set up to maintain that privileged position. It's not about money anymore. Wealth exists as influence and access. Money is a byproduct. Wealthy people have access to a financial system that gives them distinct advantages over everyone else, a tax system that will return any investment losses to them over time, while also providing them with loopholes and returns on the taxes that they do pay, and a legal system that means they can break contracts with anyone they don't want to pay. To get rich these days someone might, say, write a successful ap, sell it in the electronic marketplace, and make a lot of money. Wealthy people get controlling interest in software from someone else by paying that person ten cents on the dollar for its value (if they don't steal it outright, using predatory corporate lawyers and access to corrupt politicians) and then they make a deal that requires all new phone buyers pay them for it whether they use it or not, effectively taxing millions of people for something that they didn't ask for, may never use, and didn't even realize they were being taxed on. Tom has wealth. Gatsby just has money. Daisy's choice is based on that.

I don't believe that Daisy ever truly loved Gatsby. Gatsby would have done anything for her, but she did not feel the same in return. All that Daisy truly cared about was money and comfort. She cared about her status and the way people viewed her. This being said, her status would have gone down if she had gone to be with Gatsby. People would have frowned upon a divorce, and she couldn't have that. The safety that Tom was able to provide for her due to his being "new money" was more important to her. Essentially, both Tom and Daisy are what I would call white-trash. In contrast, Gatsby was noble and kind and truly loving towards Daisy. And in the end, evil can only stand to be with evil.

I wouldn't say Daisy married Tom for his money and social status alone. He was a muscular, very handsome man. The money helped, sure, but the guy needs to be told as he was.

I'd say that Daisy decided to stay with her husband because of her social status. She was part of a group of people that had been part of the elite for generations. Gatsby was the son of poor farmers from the midwest, and women who are part of high society, no matter how attractive the man they're having a fling with, are almost always going to choose to marry men who share their own high social status, or higher.

Female male models aren't marrying the common folk, you know, for example.

SherryRose (last edited Dec 13, 2018 09:08AM ) Dec 13, 2018 08:37AM   0 votes
I don’t think Daisy was in love with Gatsby. He was a part of her past. She had dozens of men before she settled for Tom. She was comfortable with old money. She stated that she loved Tom and Gatsby too.” Gatsby was taken aback and said, “you loved me too?” She was talking in past tense. “I loved you both.” ” He May have been obsessed with Daisy for all those years but she forgot about him as time went on. He had to make money before she’d even consider him. I think she resented Tom’s affairs and liked Gatsby’s attention. I don’t think she loved him. I do think she loved Tom and I think Tom was finally discovering that he still loved Daisy and told her he would work on being a better husband. Her feelings had faded greatly at this point but there seemed to be hope for them at the end of the book. Gatsby would have just been a fling had he lived. The other point is how turned off Gatsby was by Daisy’s daughter. Tom is crazy about her. They’re dysfunctional but they are a family.

Ariane wrote: "As we all know, Daisy loved money so much and she married Tom because of his money and status. However, Gatsby became a super rich person at last, but why Daisy still did not go with him? Why Daisy..."

Tom was from old money. His family had been rich for several generations, whereas Jay was the son of poor farmers. Daisy was raised by a certain high-class, and people who are born in such a class don't marry those who are beneath them.

Gatsby for all of his money was still socially inferior to Tom, and that matters quite a bit to someone who was raised to fulfill certain societal expectations(marry someone as high in the social ladder as her family is).

Monty J Heying Daisy didn't reject Gatsby until it was revealed he was a criminal, and she did so immediately upon learning it.

The "old money-new money" argument is
...more
Mar 23, 2019 01:02PM · flag

Daisy had a child with Tom. There is no going back from that. You "can't repeat the past".

Daisy's heart may belong to Gatsby, but perhaps Fitzgerald is suggesting that marriage is often about more than love. Iris Murdoch wrote that "every persisting marriage is based on fear."

The answer is simple. Daisy severed ties with Gatsby when she learned he was a criminal.

Melissa Lenore Hamann I don't think that's true, I think they broke up because he was off to war, something Zelda herself says she should have done with Scott. ...more
Apr 24, 2019 08:06AM · flag

In my opinion, it is possible that Daisy loved both Gatsby and Tom. However, we need to remember all the years that passed, all the years that Daisy spent with Tom, all the memories she made with him. She even has a child with him. Daisy was put in a very uncomfortable situation, in the end, to choose between the two; Her former love, or the one with which she has a child with? In the end, I can understand why she chose Tom, though it is sad that Gatsby's life had to end because of her.

Geoffrey (last edited Feb 17, 2019 11:56AM ) Dec 22, 2018 10:59AM   0 votes
Absolutely Monty. She had a young daughter to protect as well and could not afford to take a chance with Jay and the prospect of the daughter's step dad disappearing from her life. Nor hers.
The question however remains, totally unresolved in the book, as to whether Daisy was more concerned about the ignominy of marrying a bootlegger, remember at that point she wasn't aware of Jay's other criminal involvement, or the insecurity of a family life at jeopardy with the law. I suspect as she was such a flake, that the former was uppermost to her thinking.

Remember also that Jay was in Oggsford when Daisy was engaged to Tom. She had written Jay but he answered way too late. I believe she was crying at the wedding because she had finally received word from Jay but the marriage had already been set.

Daisy was selfish. she wanted her cake and eat it too. She made it seem like she loved Gatsby because he was rich and threw these amazing parties. Tom did the same thing plus they had a child together. It became obvious she didn't love him when things started going downhill and she wanted nothing to do with him once he had taken the blame for the accident. She was selfish and she hopped down once he was killed. Honestly i think she may be one of my most hated characters.

It seemed to me that Daisy doesn't want to face up to what happened in the car. She enjoyed Gatsby's attention and adoration but when things take a darker turn she prefers to shelter in the safety of Tom's superior social status.

I think at the first time, Daisy never really loved Gatsby, what her looking for were money and reputation. Actually, she also did it to Tom.when gatsby loses his value, there is no need to go with him.what the writer wanna to describe in the book is the fake love and the creed that money is all. The pursuit of Gatsby-like a bubble, beautiful but not true.