500 Great Books By Women discussion

I Heard the Owl Call My Name
This topic is about I Heard the Owl Call My Name
Ways of Knowing > I Heard the Owl Call My Name - Margaret Craven

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aubrey (last edited Mar 05, 2017 09:08AM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments I Heard the Owl Call My Name, Margaret Craven, 1973, Canada (United States), NOVEL

"...He watches the "English woman anthropologist" who comes to study the natives and insists upon calling the villagers "Quackadoodles"; he witnesses the impact when the government declares it legal for Indians to buy liquor and whne traders cheat the villagers out of their cultural treasures; he sees the children lose their ties with their families and heritage while living in residential schools among whites...Mark becomes a part of the Kwakiutl world, learning its language and ways, until finally "Time had lost its contours. He seemed to see it as the raven or the bald eagle, flying high over the village, must see the part of the river that had passed the village, that has not yet reached the village, one and the same."..."

(E.B., p. 331)

Review Cache
Mmars

message 2: by Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ben Winch (ben_winch) I wondered if this book had come up. I used to love it when I was young. Lyrical, spare, simple, sad. Like a fairytale. I recommend it.