♥ Nothing Better Than Reading!! ♥ discussion

Book/Genre of the Month > The Casual Vacancy by J.K Rowling - August BOTM 2014

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A, Crazy. (new)

A H | 7672 comments Mod
What did you think of this book?

message 2: by Anuj (last edited Jul 27, 2014 10:21AM) (new)

Anuj Shrivastava | 472 comments an awesome book better than her "strike" series, enjoyed reading it :)

message 3: by Marcele (new)

Marcele Duarte | 91 comments Oh I read this book last year. It was the most disturbing end that I read, but I loved it. JK is awesome and she gave us an adult story. I couldn't stop reading and I really mean it: everybody should read this book.

message 4: by Kathrin (new)

Kathrin I also read the book last year and really had my difficulties with it. I liked the writing style but I didn't like the way she wrote certain characters.
And I wasn't a big fan of the ending.

I might be a little biased as I grew up in such a small community and know that people always talk and tell stories about each other. This was why I picked up the book in the first place - I wanted to see how she dealt with this kind of community.

It's really not a bad book but it was a little too black-and-white for my liking.

message 5: by Sindhuja (new)

Sindhuja (happinesstrunk) Kathrin wrote: "I also read the book last year and really had my difficulties with it. I liked the writing style but I didn't like the way she wrote certain characters.
And I wasn't a big fan of the ending.

I m..."

I relate to what you are saying Kathrin. I was deeply disturbed after reading this book. Yes, it was well written but I wish I hadn't read it.

message 6: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gweber) I personally could not get through this book. I am hoping to pick it back up next year and give it another shot. It was just so slow for me.

message 7: by Colleen Marie (new)

Colleen Marie Zukowski (clevergirlfromgallifrey) I had problems getting through it in the beginning but I pushed myself and was able to finish. It was pretty good, actually better than I had expected, but I agree with what Marcele and Sindhuja said and I find it really disturbing. However I also found it very interesting to read something like that from her especially after her only novels up to that point being the HP series. It was shocking to see such a completely different and brutal type of story telling from her and I admire that she took that chance. Overall I definitely think it is worth the read.

message 8: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Brasher | 40 comments I actually didn't get very far before I quit. She can certainly write, but I just wasn't enjoying it, and heard it was pretty gritty all the way through. I think there are too many books out there for me to spend precious hours with a book just because I feel I should.