Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > The search list... NOW OPEN

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kate (last edited Apr 20, 2018 06:39PM) (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 708 comments There are 30 tasks in total. I'll be managing 15 and Gabby will be managing 15. Let us know if you have any questions

Kate’s List to Manage

1 - Visit all 50 states
2 - Welcome to the Zoo (how many different animals can we collect)
3 - Unlinkable reading (magazines, fanfiction, etc)
4 - Prolific series (books from series consisting of 20+ books)
5 - Popular Books (Read books that have more than 100,000 Goodreads ratings)
6 - Unknown Books (Read books with less than 1,000 Goodreads ratings)
7 - Audiobooks
8 - E-Books
9 - Sharing is Caring - Read to another person
10 - Learn something new (Read a non-fiction book, be that self-help, biography, autobiography, etc)
11 - First in the series
12 - Last in the series (or most recent)
13 - Author ABC (try to get every letter in the alphabet)
14 - Title ABC (try to get every letter in the alphabet)
15 - I like big books and I cannot lie (500+ page books)

Gabby’s List to Manage

16 - Visit 50 countries (There are 195 countries in the world so this would be about a quarter of them. The book needs to be set there at least a quarter of the time. Alternatively, the author can be from a different country as well. So either set in or written by...)
17 - Children’s Books
18 - Unconventional Reading (Includes Plays, poetry, short stories, graphic novels, Manga)
19 - Read the Rainbow - Red (Cover at least 50%)
20 - Read the Rainbow - Orange (Cover at least 50%)
21 - Read the Rainbow - Yellow (Cover at least 50%)
22 - Read the Rainbow - Green (Cover at least 50%)
23 - Read the Rainbow - Blue (Cover at least 50%)
24 - Read the Rainbow - Purple (Cover at least 50%)
25 - Bust the TBR - (on the TBR shelf for more than a year)
26 - Cliche Tropes (books with cliche tropes like love triangle, the chosen one, ect.)
27 - Three's a Crowd (three or more people on the cover)
28 - Mythology or Fairy Tales (Any cultural mythology will work. Norse Mythology, African Mythology, Asian Mythology, Greek Mythology, Grimm's Fairy Tales, Hans Christian Andersen, etc)
29 - Book to Screen (TV or Film)
30 - Fictional race or animals (dragons, elves ect).

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 89 comments Great lists! This is going to be a lot of fun. I can't wait!

message 3: by Elise (new)

Elise Ravenclaw (eliseravenclaw) | 5 comments Sounds fantastic! Makes me want to complete the whole thing myself. :D

message 4: by Kristin (new)

Kristin MB This looks like a lot of fun!

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 37 comments Yay!! So exciting!

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 55 comments ohhh can't wait!

message 7: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 363 comments Lisa wrote: "Sounds fantastic! Makes me want to complete the whole thing myself. :D"

Haha, yes. But the 50 countries and 50 US states might be a bit difficult to solo in 24h!

message 8: by Elise (new)

Elise Ravenclaw (eliseravenclaw) | 5 comments Leni wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Sounds fantastic! Makes me want to complete the whole thing myself. :D"

Haha, yes. But the 50 countries and 50 US states might be a bit difficult to solo in 24h!"

Perhaps it could turn into a year long readathon? ;)

message 9: by Iluzija (last edited Apr 23, 2018 12:09AM) (new)

Iluzija O. Istini | 34 comments Leni wrote: "But the 50 countries and 50 US states might be a bit difficult to solo in 24h!"

The point of this hunt is not to solo anything, it is teamwork, we all pitch in.

Kathryn CA wrote: "Let us know if you have any questions"

What's with the numbers? The 50 countries is a given, but how many books in other categories are supposed to be read?

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 276 comments Mod
Where do we track?

message 11: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 363 comments Iluzija wrote: "Leni wrote: "But the 50 countries and 50 US states might be a bit difficult to solo in 24h!"

The point of this hunt is not to solo anything, it is teamwork, we all pitch in.
"

Yes, I am aware. :)

message 12: by Devon (new)

Devon (archivist_fox) | 80 comments Great Job Guys!! I can't wait!!

message 13: by Newly (new)

Newly Wardell | 74 comments dude what a phenomenal idea. I hope that we start this on the first readathon and see how far we can get by the second readathon. that's six months of books.

message 14: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (weezielemoo) | 1630 comments Have you decided how many of each category our goals are?

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 708 comments Iluzija wrote: "Leni wrote: "But the 50 countries and 50 US states might be a bit difficult to solo in 24h!"

Kathryn CA wrote: "Le..."

We are still trying to decide. If you have any suggestions, we are open to it. We aren't sure how many people will actually be participating so we don't want to set goals too high. But we don't want to set them too low.

message 16: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 708 comments Avid Reader and Geek Girl wrote: "Where do we track?"

Gabby and I will be opening threads for each task here in this topic heading thing. So after you finish a book, you just come and check it in on the categories it fits under.

message 17: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (weezielemoo) | 1630 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "Iluzija wrote: "Leni wrote: "But the 50 countries and 50 US states might be a bit difficult to solo in 24h!"

Kathr..."

What's the current signed up tally?

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 708 comments Elyse wrote: "Kathryn CA wrote: "Iluzija wrote: "Leni wrote: "But the 50 countries and 50 US states might be a bit difficult to solo in 24h!"

The point of this hunt is not to solo anything, it is teamwork, we a..."

I need to talk to Andi to get exact numbers. Last time it was around 2,000. But a lot of people don't come over here to goodreads. I will be making a post on the main website telling them about our scavenger hunt though.

message 19: by GabsAboutBooks (new)

GabsAboutBooks Yay! I'm super excited!

message 20: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (weezielemoo) | 1630 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "I need to talk to Andi to get exact numbers. Last time it was around 2,000. But a lot of people don't come over here to goodreads. I will be making a post on the main website telling them about our scavenger hunt though..."

Oh boy they're missing so much by not checking in here! :)

message 21: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 708 comments Elyse wrote: "Kathryn CA wrote: "I need to talk to Andi to get exact numbers. Last time it was around 2,000. But a lot of people don't come over here to goodreads. I will be making a post on the main website tel..."

Seriously. If only everyone knew how cool and fun we are...

message 22: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (weezielemoo) | 1630 comments Anything we *start* to read will count for the categories? We don't have to complete them for them to count?

message 23: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 708 comments Elyse wrote: "Anything we *start* to read will count for the categories? We don't have to complete them for them to count?"

Good question... Ummm, let's say that is only true for books that you are planning on never finishing or books you won't finish because of time restraints during the readathon. Otherwise, theoretically, you could just start and stop 50 books to count.

message 24: by Newly (new)

Newly Wardell | 74 comments can we count the books we have read since the beginning of the readathon challenges?

message 25: by Iluzija (new)

Iluzija O. Istini | 34 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "we don't want to set goals too high. But we don't want to set them too low"

How about having more marks we can pass?
Something like every [50/insert number here] books... That way we can complete it only once or many times over, since the goal is not too high, but has no limit, so it is not immediately finished when you reach it.
One of our goals can be to finish the first mark of every category.

We can also have achievements for getting 5/10/more than 15 categories with the same book (5 should be easy, alphabet title [1] and author[2], country/state [3], rainbow color [4], +any one of the rest of the categories). These can be fixed to something like 300/100/30 participants.

... Just brainstorming here :D

message 26: by Iluzija (new)

Iluzija O. Istini | 34 comments Also, I don't know your plans, but I think it would be great if you would edit the main post in the countries list to include countries visited (same with letters) so people can write as much as they want and socialize in the comments and it would still be easy to find which countries were visited, useful for people looking to help the category by picking a book from the part of the world that was not yet chosen.

I see 2 options here, one is to have a full list of countries and just add marks next to the visited ones (ideal for alphabet), with the counter at the bottom saying how many total countries have been visited. The other one is to add countries as they are visited, numbered at the beginning, again with marks at the end of the line.

Example:
1. Germany (III)
2. France (II)
3. Japan (IIIII)

message 27: by Elyse (last edited Apr 25, 2018 05:15AM) (new)

Elyse (weezielemoo) | 1630 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "Good question... Ummm, let's say that is only true for books that you are planning on never finishing or books you won't finish because of time restraints during the readathon. Otherwise, theoretically, you could just start and stop 50 books to count..."

Should you/can you set a page number to reach before it's allowed to count? I know a lot of us are mood readers, especially for Readathons. I'm not intentionally going to start a ton of books just to fill categories but if I read 25 or 50 pages and then throw it aside for something better suited, I should still be able to count it. :)

message 28: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 363 comments Elyse wrote: "Should you/can you set a page number to reach before it's allowed to count? I know a lot of us are mood readers, especially for Readathons."

Yeah, page numbers or percentage of the book, maybe? It will be rough if we start feeling like we have to stick it out with a book because it covers multiple categories. And that's another question, can they count for multiple categories? Say you have a book with three people on the bright orange cover, with a title starting with X and an author starting with Y, set in an obscure country and containing animals, a fictional race, mythology, and it has fewer than 1,000 Goodreads ratings. (No, sadly I do not have this marvel of a book, but you all see where I'm headed with this. lol).

message 29: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (weezielemoo) | 1630 comments Leni wrote: "Yeah, page numbers or percentage of the book, maybe? It will be rough if we start feeling like we have to stick it out with a book because it covers multiple categories. And that's another question, can they count for multiple categories?..."

haha that would be an interesting book! But I think I read somewhere, can't find it now, maybe in the Scavenger Hunt Ideas comments, that books can count for multiple categories. Otherwise this would be really rough. lol

message 30: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 708 comments Iluzija wrote: "Also, I don't know your plans, but I think it would be great if you would edit the main post in the countries list to include countries visited (same with letters) so people can write as much as th..."

That was my plan, though I hadn't thought of marking how many times they were visited. Good idea on that one.

Also, your post above is a good suggestion. Gabby and I had some number thoughts down and then thought we would re-evaluate part way through if need be (raise or lower). Some tasks are going to be easy to get 50 books. Like children's books. While others might be hard to even get 50 (like non-fiction).

message 31: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 708 comments Okay, maybe you need to read at least a quarter of the book. To have given it a good go.

message 32: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (weezielemoo) | 1630 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "Okay, maybe you need to read at least a quarter of the book. To have given it a good go."

That sounds reasonable! :)

message 33: by Iluzija (new)

Iluzija O. Istini | 34 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "Iluzija wrote: "Also, I don't know your plans, but I think it would be great if you would edit the main post in the countries list to include countries visited (same with letters) so people can wri..."

Not all categories need to have the same number, but some categories are supposed to be harder than others. There are those that are given, where if you read anything you want you can participate, but there should be some that are for people making an effort. Or did I get the idea of scavenger hunt wrong (I am not from USA and we had different games here)?

message 34: by Ensorcelled (new)

Ensorcelled | 3 comments Oooh, I love this!

message 35: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 708 comments Iluzija wrote: "Kathryn CA wrote: "Iluzija wrote: "Also, I don't know your plans, but I think it would be great if you would edit the main post in the countries list to include countries visited (same with letters..."

No, you got it exactly right.

We'll be posting the threads with initial numbers required for each task later today or tomorrow.

message 36: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 286 comments So do we claim a book for only 1 category or multiple if they fit mroe than 1.

Such as first in a series but aslo a green cover.
Or for Welcome to the Zoo what if there are more than 1 animal mentioned?

message 37: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (weezielemoo) | 1630 comments Jamie wrote: "So do we claim a book for only 1 category or multiple if they fit mroe than 1.

Or for Welcome to the Zoo what if there are more than 1 animal men..."

One book can count for multiple categories! :)

message 38: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 708 comments Jamie wrote: "So do we claim a book for only 1 category or multiple if they fit mroe than 1.

Or for Welcome to the Zoo what if there are more than 1 animal men..."

As Elyse said, it can count for more than one category.

message 39: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 286 comments thanks both of you ;)

message 40: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 708 comments Okay, number of books have been posted for the 15 tasks I'll be monitoring. Let me know what you all think. If I should raise some of them (which ones and to what) or if I should lower some of them (again, which ones and to what). I wanted this to be an achievable challenge. Especially since it only for 24 hours.

Thanks!
Kate

message 41: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 363 comments With "Sharing is Caring", wouldn't it make more sense to collect minutes read rather than books read?

message 42: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 708 comments Leni wrote: "With "Sharing is Caring", wouldn't it make more sense to collect minutes read rather than books read?"

Oh, I hadn't even thought of that. Great suggestion. Any idea what a good number of minutes would be?

Sam - Spines in a Line (spinesinaline) | 5 comments This is so cool! I'm really looking forward to it

message 44: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 363 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "Leni wrote: "With "Sharing is Caring", wouldn't it make more sense to collect minutes read rather than books read?"

Oh, I hadn't even thought of that. Great suggestion. Any idea what a good number..."

I don't know... would it make sense to aim for 24h? lol
That's 1440 minutes. I can almost guarantee that I'll fill at least 60 of those minutes, so that's 1/24 taken care of.

message 45: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 708 comments Leni wrote: "Kathryn CA wrote: "Leni wrote: "With "Sharing is Caring", wouldn't it make more sense to collect minutes read rather than books read?"

Oh, I hadn't even thought of that. Great suggestion. Any idea..."

I'll round it up to 1500. We will see how that goes. Thanks for the suggestion.

Amber (bookstacksamber) (bookstacksamber) | 72 comments Hmmm I live alone. Can I read to my dog?? lol

message 47: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (weezielemoo) | 1630 comments Amber (bookstacksamber) wrote: "Hmmm I live alone. Can I read to my dog?? lol"

Heck yes! I say. :)

message 48: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 708 comments Amber (bookstacksamber) wrote: "Hmmm I live alone. Can I read to my dog?? lol"

Absolutely. PLEASE DO! If you read to your dog, I'll read to my teddy bear.

(also live alone)

message 49: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 286 comments Amber (bookstacksamber) wrote: "Hmmm I live alone. Can I read to my dog?? lol"

Yes! Include those furbabies as they snuggle up with you!

message 50: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysavorsstories) | 532 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "Amber (bookstacksamber) wrote: "Hmmm I live alone. Can I read to my dog?? lol"

Absolutely. PLEASE DO! If you read to your dog, I'll read to my teddy bear.

(also live alone)"

Cool, Seven (my cat) is very happy I'll be reading to her (she's already lying on my lap) :)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.