Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > 2009-08 Consider Phlebas - Ship Names

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments One detail that stands out in all the Culture novels is the irreverent names given to (or taken by) the vessels of the Culture. What do you think of the ships' names in "Consider Phlebas"? We aren't given as many as in later books, but I think names like Prosthetic Conscience and No More Mr Nice Guy, and the temporary name Eschatologist, give us more than a little clue to the Minds behind them. And Clear Air Turbulence, although it's not a Culture ship, is a name many Culture Minds would envy.

message 2: by Peregrine (new)

Peregrine Puts me in mind of indie bands - often the names will have a tone of smirking, literate nihilism. Blessed if I can think of names just this minute, though . . .

message 3: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments Yes, very much the same vibe-- maybe names like Bare Naked Ladies, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Chikita Violenta, Dear and the Headlights, Thunderbirds are Now!, Rainer Maria, Johnny Vomit and the Dry Heaves, VHS or Beta, I Love You But Ive Chosen Darkness-- that sort of thing?

message 4: by Peregrine (new)

Peregrine Ron wrote: "Yes, very much the same vibe-- maybe names like Bare Naked Ladies, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Chikita Violenta, Dear and the Headlights, Thunderbirds are Now!, Rainer Maria, Johnny Vomit and the Dry Heav..."

Thanks for the names; yes, that's what I'm meaning.