Book Worms discussion

Where did all the good books go?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Idk if I'm the only one who noticed this, but I went to the bookstore, all excited to get a good new book, and all I bought was a bar of dark chocolate

What I found was :
-vampire novels. At least 20 different series
-faerie novels. I liked tithe (ahead of the trend) wicked lovely was the only good one of the series

You get my point. I was just so depressed. Does anyone else feel the same?

message 2: by Abby (new)

Abby (frazzles) i do!!
I know exactly what you mean. you walk into a Borders and the entire teen section is vampire books...cant people come up with something else?

message 3: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (sharpygreencatgirl) | 2 comments I'm sick and tired of vampire books too! I'm pretty much sticking to Jaclyn Moriarty, Louise Rennison, and Sarah Dessen right now.

message 4: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Morris (bookgurl16) | 2 comments Yes YES YES! I know exactly what your talking about. I went to Barnes and Noble the other day to get a good book and 98.999 percent was stupid book about either A. Vampires B. Some Other Mystical Creature OR OR OR ANOTHER DANG TWILIGHT BOOK! Like Stephenie Myere finds the need to write like 6 "Behind the scenes" books on EVERY REGULAR BOOK! Enough is enough. Once upon a time I liked Twilight! But I liked Twilight before it was cool to like Twilight. Now it is just plain annoying. What is worse is that all the stupid books are on the shelves right out front and anything Good is tucked away on the book shelf in the corner! Arggggg! I miss good literature! :(

message 5: by Abbey Grimm (new)

Abbey Grimm | 2 comments One: You're right
Two: WHAT HAPPENED TO THE TIME WHEN NORMAL BOOKS WERE POPULAR? I used to like Twilight, then I got bored of it and EVERYONE I KNOW is discussing it!
Three: What's so good about vampires? NONE of the books I like are even remotely centered on them.
Four: Publishing houses are, for lack of a better word, greedy. Money is all that matters to some, FAMOUS, ones.

I know I'm ranting but give a non-Vampire Diaries OR Twilight book any day! Face it: Show me what is so good about them. I started reading, and all I thought was that there was a lack of proper, developed characters. Take Bella. A weak, girl-turned-vampire typical damsel-in-distress. That sort of character would be perfect for, hmm, the freaking MIDDLE AGES!

Lastly, I am not insulting the authors. They do write well, comparatively. But I do want to make those fan-girls of Edward, Stefan, or other knights in shining armor a reality check. Will this ever happen in real life? Remember that.
Now, for a rant:

WHAT HAPPENED TO BOOKS THAT MADE SENSE?!

message 6: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Morris (bookgurl16) | 2 comments Abbey wrote: "One: You're right
Two: WHAT HAPPENED TO THE TIME WHEN NORMAL BOOKS WERE POPULAR? I used to like Twilight, then I got bored of it and EVERYONE I KNOW is discussing it!
Three: What's so good about v..."

Exactly!!!! It makes me mad that the book stores are only putting the books they know will make all the fan-girls crazy out there. With the big twilight posters and cut outs... grrr.. i want some actually good books to be shows for once. But do they make good books into posters and cardboard cut outs nope... because the dont have tenny-bopper heart throbs... GAHHH

message 7: by Abbey Grimm (new)

Abbey Grimm | 2 comments Looking at the comments, we can safely say that Twilight has just gained a smaller following. :)

message 8: by Mash (last edited Oct 22, 2012 04:27AM) (new)

Mash Yeah. I hate how it is, too. They all SAY that what they're writing is super different, BUT IT'S EXACTLY THE SAME.
There's always that super hot bad boy with the amazing accent that the girl immediately falls in love with.
The girl has family problems, like a mother/father who never listens.
Their friends are weird and he/she is a social outcast until she realizes that she's a kick-butt half angel princess from hell who climbs the popularity chart with her new boyfriend.
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.
I don't care if you turn Edward Cullen into a monster hunter, because they're the EXACT SAME.
Now a days, I need to hunt down good authors. (which, by the way, is super hard)

message 9: by Abby (new)

Abby (frazzles) Yea I agree I'm having a hard time finding good contemporary authors. If anyone is interested I found a good book called The Road Home by Ellen Emerson White. I really enjoyed it, it's about a nurse in Vietnam. I highly recommend it.