General Fiction Forum Expats discussion

The Proper Care and Maintenance of Friendship

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Debbie (dhaupt) | 4456 comments Mod
When Jo reaches Kate still in India two things happen, Jo finally gets useful advice on Gracie and Kate is relieved that someone needs her.
It’s obvious from Kate’s phone calls home that the household is only surviving by a thread
Why do you think Kate hasn’t felt needed

Sarah goes to seek out Colin in his “native setting” where she quickly realizes just what kind of reconstructive surgery he does for a living
Does Sarah see him as selling out, why or why not

Kate arrives home to a hornet’s nest in Paul
How do you feel now about her trip to India, have you changed your mind about Kate, why or why not

After the Madeline tea and the confrontation with Gracie’s Grandma and Jessie It finally dawns on Jo why Rachel left Gracie in her care
Do you agree with her decision
How do you feel about how Jo is handling the situation

Ah the part we’ve all been waiting for the hunky “black brit” and Sarah FINALLY make the love connection we’ve all been all through the novel waiting for
How did you feel about the way Sam asked Sarah to marry him
Were you surprised that as long as they’ve known each other that they still have so much to learn about each other.

Final thoughts

Karen Laird (shadetreebookreviews) | 228 comments I loved the proposal. it was very appropriate for the setting they lived in. He could have brought another goat or two though.

Karen wrote: "I loved the proposal. it was very appropriate for the setting they lived in. He could have brought another goat or two though. "

Hmm I don't know Karen after what she put him through I'm thinking she's lucky the goat was living :) But yeah Sam was the real deal wasn't he

Karen Laird (shadetreebookreviews) | 228 comments Oh yeah. I'm still smiling over that ending. lol

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

This book did have some twists and turns that made it hard to put down. Several times it had me left with my mouth hanging wide open with a "I can't believe this" expression. Like when we found out what Colin really does for a living. Susan, he just made me mad too! Or when Nana thought she could just show up and take Gracie. Then I was starting to get pretty aggravated with Paul too, but at least he came around. The book was definitely written in such a way that it stirred emotions. I think that's what made it such a great story.

Ang from OZ | 1678 comments Well I see Susan and TarheelGirl had a problem with Colin as well. That's good to know.

I felt sorry for Kate when she said to Jo that it felt nice to be needed. Too often we all can get caught up in the crazy of life and feel unwanted. I'm sure that Paul never realized that Kate felt that way. And also I don't think Kate knew either until the trip to India. I was happy that Kate and Paul sorted things out. I was very concerned for a while there and it kept me reading!! The confrontation on the front lawn... nail biting stuff!! I think Jo helped a lot in the situation with Kate and Paul.

And Jo handled the situation with Gracie's Aunt and Nana very well. Gosh I would have pitched a right royal fit if it were me. She remained cool calm and collected and was able to find a comprised that worked for everyone. And was able to find a good balance between caring for Gracie, her work, and even having a love life. Way to go Jo!! I think Jo was my fav character.

And Sarah-belle and Sam. I thought the proposal was just perfect. And giggled at how DR Mwambi (is that right?) said he didn't think what Sam had brought was exceptable to start with! A great ending for those two. And DR Sell Out Money Bags... well he got what he deserved I think. All he was interested in was the big name and the flash house and office and all the money.

Ang from OZ | 1678 comments I also just wanted to thank you all for joining in for a chat about the book. I'm enjoying myself so much. Thanks also to Debbie, the best moderator around!! Mmmwah!! Love ya's all! :)

Ang from OZ wrote: "I also just wanted to thank you all for joining in for a chat about the book. I'm enjoying myself so much. Thanks also to Debbie, the best moderator around!! Mmmwah!! Love ya's all! :)"

You guys ROCK!! :)
xoxo