Outlander Series discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > I am considering watching the show, but have never read the book

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mari (new)

Mari I have never read the book, but I like history. What I HATE are Romance Novels. Just tell me straight; Is it a cheesy book like the kind with the silly covers? Is there a big romance between the English Nurse, and the Scottish guy? Will he be macho, but then her strong willed, prim, yet passionate nature wins him over? Do they fight, then passionately reconcile? Does he say she drives him crazy, yet he can't stop thinking about her? Any "fierce kisses", or "fierce embrace" going on? Does he have a dumb accent? Does he ever say anything softly? Especially something like "Lassie, I canna live without ye!" If any of the answers are ;YES. Please let me know so i don't waist my time, and don't encourage others to do the same.

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1356 comments You shouldn't judge this story by exactly those things but the answer is yes to many of these questions. This story is much much more than that though. I was not a romance reader OR a historical fiction reader but loved this story. I didn't find the story cheesy at all and though there is romance it did not seem like the typical romance story. It is not a bodice ripper! I do not think it is a waste of time and would recommend trying it. If you do not like it by the 6th chapter stop reading knowing it is not the book for you. If you like it continue on.

message 3: by Ozma (new)

Ozma Bond You might consider listening to the books on cd, the reader is excellent, her scottish accent is lovely, and I don't read romances, this is historical fiction as good as Irving Stone. It is beyond romance, I want to know someone on the planet like Jamie Frazier, and Clare is a woman who is a good white witch in the very best sense.

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Mari...yes, yes and yes...kind of. This is an epic novel, not a "cheesy" romance. In fact, I am not sure it is generally even categorized as a romance. Lots of history, fantasy (ie:time travel), and yup...Jamie Fraser is an Alpha Male! I thought I would hate it, and have now read all eight books...I think the ebook and audiobook are on a Whispersync special now through Amazon and Audible.com. You should listen to it. Davina Porter is fantastic.

message 5: by Mari (last edited Jul 26, 2014 10:51PM) (new)

Mari Dawn wrote: "Mari...yes, yes and yes...kind of. This is an epic novel, not a "cheesy" romance. In fact, I am not sure it is generally even categorized as a romance. Lots of history, fantasy (ie:time travel), an..."
I don't mind the guy being an alpha male, really. Except the men in romances are usually faux alpha males. Alpha males like sex, but I can't see them doing romance. Bill Clinton comes to mind as a perfect example. Or Vladimir Putin. OK, Those are alpha males, good or bad. I just can't see either of them talking about how crazy anyone makes them. And mouthing off to men like that is probably a bad idea. It wouldn't get you a passionate make up session. If they figured you were a threat things would get ugly fast. Thats a real alpha male as far as I can tell. They don't let other people stand in their way. But OK..people keep saying this is different. HOW?
Edit; I never much cared for Scotland. Didn't Scotland and Ireland support the Nazis in WW2 just to piss off England? Says something about their character.

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn It is really hard to pin down the difference. Diana Gabaldon simply writes this family saga so well. The sex scenes are there, but are not overwhelming. There is violence I did not think I could read, but did. Maybe because DG was a history teacher who wrote a novel, instead of being a writer who adds in history?!! I once compared it to Gone with the Wind, so maybe that will help you. This series of books covers like 30 years so far. The TV series will only cover one book per season, so this season will only be about Outlander. If you don't want to read/listen to the book, the series will very likely be close to the book. But I am one of those people who has to read the book first.

message 7: by Mari (last edited Jul 26, 2014 11:10PM) (new)

Mari Dawn wrote: "It is really hard to pin down the difference. Diana Gabaldon simply writes this family saga so well. The sex scenes are there, but are not overwhelming. There is violence I did not think I could re..."

So better quality, then. I suppose I can read through the first novel, then if I like it, I'll give the show a try.
Thank you.
Hm. I read Gone with the Wind a long time ago, and I really did like it. The characters were pretty shallow, but it gave a great picture of the time. However, this is different. No matter how good the writer, she wasn't really around back then!

message 8: by Dawn (new)

Dawn No she wasn't, she is just a historian. I hope you enjoy the book.

message 9: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (vanessaeden) | 549 comments Mari wrote: "Dawn wrote: "It is really hard to pin down the difference. Diana Gabaldon simply writes this family saga so well. The sex scenes are there, but are not overwhelming. There is violence I did not thi..."

Margaret Mitchell wasn't from that time period either.

message 10: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (vanessaeden) | 549 comments Mari wrote: "I have never read the book, but I like history. What I HATE are Romance Novels. Just tell me straight; Is it a cheesy book like the kind with the silly covers? Is there a big romance between the En..."

For starters, the 'dumb' accent to which you are referring is his vernacular, being that he is Scottish, you can bet he has a 'dumb' accent.
It does have elements of a historical romance, as well as science fiction and historical fiction.
He is not so much an alpha male mentally but is forced to be one because of the situations and time period in which he lives.
The entire series follows the characters throughout their lives, meaning that yes there will be sex, war and violence as well as good times and bad. Babies are born, people are married, wars happen, death, heartbreak, romance...it has it all.

You are definitely missing out on a good book if you don't give it a shot! :)

message 11: by Maud (new)

Maud (marymaud) | 157 comments No, Scotland and Ireland did not support Nazis. Let's not rewrite history here. That being said, I think if you liked Gone With The Wind, you'll like Outlander.

message 12: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (vanessaeden) | 549 comments Maud wrote: "No, Scotland and Ireland did not support Nazis. Let's not rewrite history here. That being said, I think if you liked Gone With The Wind, you'll like Outlander."

Your right, especially sense Scotland was united with England sense 1707.

message 13: by Mrsbooks (last edited Jul 27, 2014 10:30AM) (new)

Mrsbooks | 397 comments Mari wrote: "Dawn wrote: "It is really hard to pin down the difference. Diana Gabaldon simply writes this family saga so well. The sex scenes are there, but are not overwhelming. There is violence I did not thi..."

Let us know what you think if you read it.

I will say though that some people find the first book has too much sex. But as with any new relationship there is generally more sex. The books are rather realistic about that and the sex is less frequent as the honeymoon period ends.

I love reading romance books but your questions remind me what I also hate about them. I very much so, have a love/hate relationship with them. I hate all those things you just described and I usually roll my eyes and want to barf when they happen in stories.

Having said that, Outlander has all those things I typically hate...but I love them in Outlander. I don't know, I guess the writer has an amazing talent with making it seem more realistic than any novel I've read in the past.

Its also much more than a love story. Outlander is praised for its historical accuracy too.

message 14: by Wendy F, biblioholic (last edited Jul 27, 2014 02:41PM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Well, and can I just add that while it has those things it never felt unrealistic to the times, (Outside of Claire's thoughts, though she's not from that time.) The people she meets in the 17th century act like people from the 17th century. It's not the same as a bodice ripper at all. The first book contains a romance, but the outline and the way it develops and concludes is very different from your traditional bodice ripper.

Overall, for the entire series, the books are Historical Fiction Adventure books that contain PEOPLE who fall in love, because that is not exclusive to Jamie and Claire.

message 15: by Mrsbooks (last edited Jul 27, 2014 02:58PM) (new)

Mrsbooks | 397 comments In the back of the latest Outlander book Diana writes "Personally, I don’t think political correctness has any place in historical fiction...."

If you like reading about people in history, some real and some fictional, but like to learn how people lived and how they thought then this is a good book for you.

I know sometimes reading reviews here on goodreads, some people do not like reading old fashioned views and attitudes. They prefer their historical fiction to be more modern.

Diana doesn't write that way and its great. But if that's not the type of book you like, then I wouldn't recommend it.

message 16: by Mari (last edited Jul 27, 2014 07:44PM) (new)

Mari Vanessa Eden wrote: " Margaret Mitchell was not around during the time either"
Margaret Mitchell was born in 1900 and died in 1950. So she knew the Antebellum South. She may not have been around during the civil war which was some thirty years before she was born. But close enough. She knew that world. You can't compare the two cases.

message 17: by Mari (last edited Jul 27, 2014 07:52PM) (new)

Mari Maud wrote: "No, Scotland and Ireland did not support Nazis. Let's not rewrite history here. That being said, I think if you liked Gone With The Wind, you'll like Outlander."

I keep reading that they did. Or at least elements within both countries did. What would later become the IRA certainly did. Its not clear cut though…and neither country ever officially gave support, no. I'm really not sure what to think. Of course, plenty of elements within England and America probably supported them too. Complicated. I read this thing called the Biography of Lord Edgeware who was the Earl of …well I'm not sure, I want to say Calamari, but Calamari is an entrée in a restaurant, so that can't be right. Anyhow there was a lot of Scottish and Irish that were tried for treason during the war…of course during war time, people tend to …anyhow. Who knows. They seemed disloyal. The fact that they were a part of the UK certainly isn't to say they didn't, because to this day there are a few people in both countries that resent England.
I downloaded Outlander. And will read it as I have time.

message 18: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (vanessaeden) | 549 comments Mari wrote: "Vanessa Eden wrote: " Margaret Mitchell was not around during the time either"
Margaret Mitchell was born in 1900 and died in 1950. So she knew the Antebellum South. She may not have been around d..."

Antebellum south was pre civil war. Gwtw was set only a few months before hand. Her mother told her alot about the old south; according to a documentary I saw.

Northern Light (norrthernlight) | 218 comments Mari wrote: "Maud wrote: "No, Scotland and Ireland did not support Nazis. Let's not rewrite history here. That being said, I think if you liked Gone With The Wind, you'll like Outlander."

I keep reading that t..."

As a Scot I can't ignore your comments which I hope are out of ignorance of the situation.

Scotland did not support the Nazis. Of course there were people who themselves did but there were also people in other countries including England who felt that Nazism was correct. Many, many Scots died fighting in WWII and would be turning in their graves at your words. I suggest you read up about the period to find the truth.

message 20: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (vanessaeden) | 549 comments Northern Light wrote: "Mari wrote: "Maud wrote: "No, Scotland and Ireland did not support Nazis. Let's not rewrite history here. That being said, I think if you liked Gone With The Wind, you'll like Outlander."

I keep r..."

Thank you for posting that. I am 1/2 Scottish and my husband is full Ulster Scots and I have been offended by this thread, I.e. 'dumb accent' made my blood boil in all honesty.

message 21: by Dawn (new)

Dawn I have absolutely no idea how this thread got onto who supported whom in WWII...but Outlander is a very good book. It has almost nothing to do with WWII...if you are listening to the book, you will love the narration. If you are reading it, good luck with the Gaelic. I had it all wrong in my mind until I heard it.

message 22: by Patty (new)

Patty | 189 comments Mari what I don't understand is on your books read list you have Outlander and that you finished it on July 26th and you gave it 1 star. Why ask this question?

message 23: by Wendy F, biblioholic (last edited Jul 29, 2014 12:22PM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I just noticed that myself. She's already given it 1 star, and going around and liking all the bad reviews...

Which honestly, that's fine, whatever. It's your goodreads account. But it does beg the question, why would you come into a fan group if you've already made your mind up that the book is bad?

message 24: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1356 comments troll

message 25: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking.

We've discussed this thread and the odd turn it's taken and we've decided to close this thread down.

Honestly, if there's someone out there in this Goodreads world that wants a fans opinion on why they should read this book, we're all open to that discussion. This doesn't feel that way, it trolling and we're not going to play the game. :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.