Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read Books - archive > Think of a Number Part 2-B Chapters 25-31 - spoilers welcome

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Jul 27, 2014 12:18PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments This is the second half of part two of the book, Macabre Games, which we will split into two parts, pages 177-232, Chapters 25-31.
If the first to post could provide a brief summary that would be helpful.spoilers welcome on this thread.

message 2: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments Chapter 25 – Questioning Gurney

Dave brings the team up to date on his involvement in the case. Kline sucks up; Rodriguez tries to knock him down. The cops on scene find the bullet after following Dave’s guess bout where it might be, further raising Dave’s reputation.

Chapter 26 – A blank check

Dave updated Madeleine on his day with the murder team. Kline calls to invite Dave to be a consultant on the case. Dave pretends to need to think about it, but Madeline knows better.

Chapter 27 – Getting to know the DA

Dave goes into to speak with Kline about his offer. They bat around different theories about the case. Kline has invited Rodriguez by to discuss his theories – he enjoys conflict between team members and knows Dave and Rodriguez will get into it. Rodriguez is determined to pin the murder on one of the guests. His staff member Wigg arrives with new evidence – the boots hanging from the tree at the murder scene are not the ones that left the prints in the snow.

Chapter 28 – Back to the scene of the crime

Dave returns to the Institute to poke around. Hardwick is there and they review theories and Rodriguez’s ideas. Dave asks if other avenues are being pursued, such as interviewing neighbors. Hardwick describes a B&B nearby that is frequented by birders.

Chapter 29 – Backwards

With Madeleine’s input, Dave figures the solution to the footprints to nowhere. The killer cut the soles of the boots and affixed them backwards so that when he walked the footprint would be reversed. Madeleine also figures out that there are no specifics in the letters/poems the killer has sent.

Chapter 30 – Emerald Cottage

Analysis shows that the background traffic noise on the tape of the killer and Mellery was actually a tape playing during the call, not actual live background noise. Dave visits Emerald Cottage (where birders stay). Mr. Wellstone, the co-owner, had already called for the police to investigate the theft of replica ruby red slippers taken by customers who turn out to be the ones Dave wanted to talk with – a mother and son. They signed in as “Mr. and Mrs. Scilla.”

Chapter 31 – A routine call from the Bronx

Dave receives a call from Detective Randy Clamm of the Bronx PD. He has a case with an m.o. similar to Dave’s.

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments Things are starting to pick up. I like the way Dave and his wife talk about the case and she provides useful input. I don't like that their relationship also appears to be in trouble...

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments I don't like how Dave's attitude with Madeline seems to be pushing her away. One minute he is admiring how smart she is, and she is smart; and the next, he is seething with anger over small imagined slights and tones of voice.
The solution to the footprints to nowhere is pretty good. When something is impossible, look for an alternative.
Dave runs hot and cold with Hardwick too, one minute they are colleagues, the next minute he seems to despise the man.
The politics at the police station and the meeting of the investigation team were crazy political. I would hate to think that someone like Rodriguez might be in charge of an investigation.
If the lack of follow-up on the Emerald Cottage birdwatchers was an indication of the quality of the police work, then solving the case without Dave isn't going to happen.
Randy Clamm, now that is an interesting name.

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Aug 04, 2014 04:30AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments Ann, I found the character of Rodriguez an amazingly stereotypical characterization for a novel that otherwise has a number of unusual and creative plot elements. The head of the investigation team who is protective, sarcastic, belittling of his staff, short-sighted, pandering to his boss, etc. It's always entertaining to see that type put down, but still, I was a little disappointed in the easy mark.

message 6: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2943 comments This book seemed awful familiar to me. It is because I read it last year.

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Aug 06, 2014 09:36PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments Are you serious, Barry? Where was your handy Google doc when you started reading this?!?!

Well, then you've had a year to reflect and come up with some super-insights. Looking forward to those gems.

[grin]

Barry wrote: "This book seemed awful familiar to me. It is because I read it last year."

message 8: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3477 comments Up to chap 32..

message 9: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3477 comments I like the parts with Dave and madelynn

message 10: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3477 comments Madeleine. Lol. The problem with commenting on the iPad you can not see the posts

message 11: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments Donnajo wrote: "Madeleine. Lol. The problem with commenting on the iPad you can not see the posts"

I hate the Goodreads ipad app, LOL. I rarely use it, which is too bad since I'm on my iPad 50 times a day it seems.

message 12: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3477 comments it's a pain. when I try and read the my emails I get from the posts I have to keep putting my sign on stuff in. so I've been going and doing it from the app then going back and deleting the emails. it's a pain but at times it's easier to get on the ipad than getting on the laptop.