500 Great Books By Women discussion

The Hour of the Star
This topic is about The Hour of the Star
Trials and Adversity > The Hour of the Star - Clarice Lispector

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aubrey (last edited Sep 10, 2017 10:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments The Hour of the Star, Clarice Lispector, translated from Portuguese by Giovanni Pontiero, Brazil, 1977, NOVEL

"...Stream-of-consciousness writing filled with Rodrigo's personal anguish is interspersed with the telling of Macabea's story. "Born with a legacy of misfortune, a creature from nowhere with the expression of someone who apologizes for occupying too much space," Macabea is an ugly, undernourished native of rural northeast Brazil who loves Coca-Cola and Marilyn Monroe, lives on a steady diet of hot dogs, and believes that "to be well educated was the same as knowing how to tell lies."..."

(J.L., p. 294)

Review Cache
Aubrey
Jimmy
Zanna
Neal
Caroline
Paul
Jen
Nathan
Brina

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments I am submitting my review for this book: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Jimmy (jimmylorunning) | 21 comments My review may be a little cryptic, but it makes sense to me. ;)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments I've been accused of being cryptic in my reviews many a time, Jimmy. The commentators liked them regardless, so something must have worked.

Bjorn | 32 comments This is such a good novel, as is everything I've read by Lispector. And cryptic reviews are pretty much par for the course with her books. :) I just wish I'd written down some more concrete thoughts than just "Wow" when I finished my read of it a few years ago...

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments A reread is always a possibility, Bjorn, especially with a book as short as this.

Bjorn | 32 comments True. But I have a bunch of her other books on my list too...

Zanna (zannastar) | 180 comments I have reviewed this one (is this an appropriate way to contribute?! please guide me) https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Zanna wrote: "I have reviewed this one (is this an appropriate way to contribute?! please guide me) https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

For sure! Any and all reviews are welcome, Zanna. Posting on the discussion devoted to the books speeds up the process as well.

Zanna (zannastar) | 180 comments Great :-)
I heard Lispector wasn't into reading... Certainly, I can't think of any author whose work shows up as an influence here!

message 11: by Neal (new) - rated it 4 stars

Neal Adolph (neal_adolph) | 16 comments I read this book last year and it ended up being one of my favourites of the year. I am reading my review of it now and, well, honestly it is damn near impossible to make sense of - a response and sentimental commentary rather than a sensible, easily understood review. Still, though, I think it captures something of how this book is possibly digested.

Here is the link: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Zanna, I'm not surprised to hear she didn't like reading much. Her sentence structure is so unique. I had heard previously that she was self-taught as a writer, so I guess that can mean that she didn't like reading much too. I guess. Regardless, this work is marvelous. I've got three other works (thank you, New Dimensions Press) and I plan on reading them soon. Actually, one is approaching the top of my To Be Read pile.

Zanna (zannastar) | 180 comments Have you read in Portuguese? I can't judge her sentence structure, but it reminds me of, for example, Fernando Pessoa (I am not a fan) so I have assumed up to now that the odd gait her writing has is an artefact of translation. Do persuade me if you disagree = )

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Neal wrote: "I read this book last year and it ended up being one of my favourites of the year. I am reading my review of it now and, well, honestly it is damn near impossible to make sense of - a response and ..."

Thank you for your review, Neal. It has been inputted above.

message 14: by Neal (new) - rated it 4 stars

Neal Adolph (neal_adolph) | 16 comments Zanna wrote: "Have you read in Portuguese? I can't judge her sentence structure, but it reminds me of, for example, Fernando Pessoa (I am not a fan) so I have assumed up to now that the odd gait her writing has ..."

Great point. I don't read Portuguese, but it strikes me as a language worth learning for the sake of reading. There are a great many great writers who have used it.

Zanna (zannastar) | 180 comments I wish I had the time and talent to 'learn a language for the sake of reading it' but I find it a tremendous slog to attain the most basic competence in any language. I can certainly order a meal and follow directions in Portuguese (or I could once) but 3 months of study and 3 more immersion would get me no further. Certainly it's a beautiful language though :-)