The Dispossessed The Dispossessed discussion

This is the kind of book that grows on you

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sofiab I didn't like this book that much the first time I read it. It was ok, I think I gave it a 3 or a 4 on this site. But upon reread I liked it much more. And now, when I reread it many times, it's one of my absolute top books of all.
Did anyone else felt that you liked this book better on reread or was it love at first sight? Unless you don't like it at all ;)

message 2: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed First sight. Ms LeGuin is probably one of the best writers -- not just sff writers -- active today.

K.N. Salustro Sofia, I completely agree with you! I had to reread it before I could say that I liked it. I love LeGuin as a writer, but for me, "The Dispossessed" was one of those books that I didn't get much out of the first time through, and then really enjoyed the second time. It's not my all-time favorite, but there's a lot to take away from it :)

HerodotusMao Have to agree. I think I read this the first time pre-college, and while I could recognize that it was a very skillfully written novel, I just couldn't wrap my brain around the themes of the thing during that first go. I re-read it a few years ago and it was like reading a totally different book. It's certainly a "message" novel, but I got a lot more from that message after a bit more intellectual maturity on my part.

It's funny how that goes sometimes. I had the exact opposite reaction to Daniel Quinn's "Ishmael." I remember reading it in high school and thinking it was completely amazing, then read it again much later and thought it was the weakest new-agey pap I had ever read... what a difference a few years can make!

Sofiab HerodotusMao wrote: "Have to agree. I think I read this the first time pre-college, and while I could recognize that it was a very skillfully written novel, I just couldn't wrap my brain around the themes of the thing ..."

Haha Yes I had a few of those kind of books aswell. Books that feels so unique and amazing but when one goes back to them with a bit more reading experience they just don't have much special about them at all.