The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Book Hunting / Recommendations > Looking for a series but can't remember....

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Culhane | 3 comments Hi,
I hope I'm posting this to the right area... as the topic says I'm trying to find a series of books that I read back in the early 80's and can't remember titles or the author. Here's what I do remember...
The stories' main protagonist was a 60 something widow of inexhaustible energy and will. In the first book she decides that she is bored with the endless round of gardening club and teas that is her social life. So she marches into the CIA and demands a job. Well after one thing or another she ends up as a currier and winds up in all sorts of trouble. I can't remember her name but the CIA contact is Mr Carstairs and Mrs. ?? is written (from what I remember) a la Miss Marple style. Does anyone remember this series?

message 2: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2344 comments Check the Mrs. Pollifax series by Dorothy Gilman at Stop You're Killing Me (www.stopyourekillingme.com).

message 3: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Culhane | 3 comments That's them, thank you so very much.

message 4: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2344 comments Glad I could help.

message 5: by Louise (new)

Louise (louizalass) | 6 comments Amazing how one finds new authors to read! I liked the sound of Mrs Polifax so went over to Amazon and read a sample and liked what I read. So I've just ordered the first book - Unexpected Mrs. Pollifa (from Ebay because it worked out a lot cheaper) and am looking forward to it!

message 6: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Culhane | 3 comments I loved them as a teen and am looking forward to diving into my book boxes to see if I can find my old copies. Check out her Madame Karitska duo-logy as well.

message 7: by Louise (new)

Louise (louizalass) | 6 comments Charlotte wrote: "..... Check out her Madame Karitska duo-logy as well."

Thank you! Have saved Madame Karitska in my Amazon wish list to return to once I've read Mrs P!