Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > What time do you get your mail?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori I used to get mine at the perfect hour of 11. But last week our mailman must have reversed his route and now it's not delivered until 4:30. And I DON'T LIKE THAT!!

But the real question is why do I care so much. 99% of the time it's just junk to immediately toss in the recyclables, or bills. Yet I still run to the mail, as if I'm going to get a letter which hasn't happened since the internet swept the earth.

Sometimes I wonder if that's why I like ordering things online - I get fun mail!

message 2: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Mine arrives around 1. I don't really care, though. Sometimes I'll go days without checking my mail, unless I know to expect something to come in the mail.

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori Hmmm. Now I'm wondering if it's because I'm old enough to remember when letters arrived with the mail. Something very exciting. THis could be a generation thing.

*grabs my cane and hobbles away*

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I like the mail, too, but then I still send postcards.

message 5: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Oh, I'd do it more often ladies (and Jackie, you know I send snail mail, too), but I my mailbox is a bit of a walk from my place and I'm lazy most afternoons when I get home from work. If it were more convenient to me, I'd definitely check it everyday.

But I DID note when the postwoman arrives to deliver the mail. I also asked her if she could estimate when she normally gets our mail delivered and she said it was around 1ish. At my old place, it was around 10 in the morning.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yep, I know you send postcards too, Heidi.
Chris is very careful about getting the mail as quickly as possible, as we live on a busy street, and it could be easily stolen. And because he loves catalogs.

Just kidding!

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Who would steal your mail and why, Jacks? That's totally crazy.

We used to get our mail very late, near five, but then Dale the Mailman retired. I get the feeling he took his route pretty easy. Now we get the mail closer to one or two.

I have a stack of postcards going out this weekend...

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "And because he loves catalogs.

Just kidding! "

I did too until I realized during a move just how much paper was being wasted so that I could make wish lists/collages (35 large kitchen bags full of them). I don't get catalogs anymore, even though it's very tempting.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments RA, meth addicts (and other addicts, probably) regularly steal mail so they can wash YOUR name off the checks and put theirs on. Also, they can information to steal your identity from your mail, or open credit card accounts in your name from the stuff that comes in your mail.

Meth is a big problem in the northwest.

As for catalogs, every holiday season, when the catalogs start rolling in, I call the various companies to ask them to stop sending them. Which works for awhile...

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Damn. Living in a neighborhood where meth addicts steal your mail would kind of freak me out. Even in Chicago we could pretty much count on no one stealing our mail...but we had to trade with all the neighbors because the mailperson never got the right mail in the right slots.

message 11: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) I think paper recycling should be a bigger issue than it is. I know schools take old magazines and let kids use them for collages and stuff, but I'm trying to get my best friend to part with all his GQ/Out magazines and it is like pulling teeth.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Damn. Living in a neighborhood where meth addicts steal your mail would kind of freak me out. Even in Chicago we could pretty much count on no one stealing our mail...but we had to trade with all..."

It hasn't happened to anyone that I'm aware of, but Chris prefers to take precautions. We're just on a main thoroughfare, so better safe than sorry.

Postcards? You're sending out postcards, RA? Would they be weird ones, by any chance?

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yes, but I'm afraid I built the "weird" part up too much, but God, I was so excited to find them:)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Yes, but I'm afraid I built the "weird" part up too much, but God, I was so excited to find them:)"

:::mind starts boggling at the possibilities:::

message 15: by Heidi (last edited Aug 13, 2009 04:15PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments My stepmother's neighbor caught a strange woman who drove up the driveway to my stepmom's house and started digging through her mail. The neighbor told the woman he had her license plate number (happens to be the fire chief) and would report her if she left with the mail... and she'd be charged with several felonies. She put it back. He called my stepmom at work to tell her about what happened. It was very bizarre - she lives in a very nice neighborhood, so none of the neighbors would've expected it to happen on their street. But yes, it does happen. That's why I bought a nice shredder - I shred the junk mail/credit card offers and anything else with identifying information as soon as possible.

message 16: by Lori (new)

Lori Yeah I have come to the conclusion that I want a shredder. Sometimes I throw stuff that has my a/c # or expired credit cards in the kitty litter garbage bag - I don't think anyone would go near that. But you never know.

Heidi - that is just bizarre.

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
My mail comes around 3 in the afternoon. On a good day maybe around 2, but sometimes as late as 5.

I'm with you, Lori, I get excited about the mail no matter what. Even if it's nothing more than a bed bath & beyond coupon and the electric bill.

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) A good shredder is a good investment, Lori. Get one that can handle staples and at least 15 sheets.

message 19: by Randy (new)

Randy I recycle anything that I can #1 & #2 plastic, glass, slicks, newsprint, aluminum, tin cans, but living in the country I can't resist when I get a big ole brush pile I just throw all my important junk mail with numbers and identifiers on top and torch it. Man, that far shore is purty! Crackles real nice too!