Books and Jams Readalong discussion

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
This topic is about A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
A Tree Grows - Apr 2018 > Book Four and Final thoughts

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
How did you feel about the ending? Was it too fast/too slow? Did everything wrap up the way you expected or hoped it would? What are you going to rate this book? What are you going to take away from it?

Terri  (tee_reads) | 57 comments I finished the book last night. Although it was a very slow start for me, I did grow to like it very much. I was slightly disappointed in the ending and with some advice that Katie gave Francie toward the end. Having never done one of these readalongs before U don't know whether it's ok to give spoilers in this section so will wait until more people finish. I ended up giving the book 4 stars.

Terri  (tee_reads) | 57 comments This is not the kind of book I usually read but I'm so glad I did. Since I've had more time to reflect on it I'm less disappointed in the outcome than before. I realize this was not a story that was supposed to have a fairy tale ending, though it most likely WAS the fairy tale for those involved. I think it's about perseverance and determination to overcome the hardships of life and to make things better for yourself. I loved how Katie was determined not to take charity but to work hard to provide for her family even though she didn't have much help. I can't imagine that I would be nearly so resourceful in face of such poverty and misfortune. Katie never lost her conviction that her children would have a better chance than she did. I guess I just wanted everything all wrapped up in a neat little package. Oh well, I've provided my own fairy tale ending......

Berna | 64 comments I finished the book just now, I found the pacing a bit slow but I really grew to like almost all the characters especially in the second half of the book. Therefore, I gave the book four stars.
I agree with Terri, Katie dissappointed a bit as well but considering the time period she was still a pretty strong woman. I could not help but love her ;)
Francie's hint that she would become a writer made me really glad because I was afraid that her teacher would scar her writing enthusiasm forever.

Kathy | 9 comments I've finished the book also. This is a quieter story of a girl coming of age. It didn't leave me with "Oh, this was a great book!" I was kind of expecting that so it was kind of a let down. I did give it a 4(but I thought more like 3.5), mainly because she did have a very tough life and never gave up. All the strong women around her influenced that mind set. Life isn't always a happy ever after but I wished her relationship could have ended better. I agree with others that her mother didn't give her the best advice.

Terri  (tee_reads) | 57 comments Yes, the advice I was speaking of was that Francie should have slept with Lee. And also when Katie told Francie that she would never feel that way again, or something to that effect. Other than that I really liked and admired Katie for her strength. I like to think that Francie went on to graduate with honors, became a successful writer on her own and THEN fell madly in love, got married and had a happy family.

I did it! I was worried for a bit there that I wouldn't finish before the end of the month, but I pushed through and finished today. I'm pretty conflicted about my feelings with this one. There were aspects of it that I appreciate, but I had such a hard time being motivated to pick it up. I didn't care as much as I like to care about my characters in order to enjoy a book with no plot. I appreciate the writing though and how thorough a picture I now have of life in Brooklyn in the early 1900s. It was filled with so many details and situations that just add so much fullness and depth to the story of Francie and her family. I think I will give this one 4 stars as well...only dropping a star because of how I felt, not because of the writing itself.

Terri wrote: "Yes, the advice I was speaking of was that Francie should have slept with Lee. And also when Katie told Francie that she would never feel that way again, or something to that effect. Other than tha..."

I understand what you're saying about Katie's advice to Francie. It wouldn't have been my advice. What I do appreciate about that scene though is that Katie realizes that her daughter has grown up and she answers her with that in mind. She doesn't downplay Francie's feelings, or laugh at her whirlwind romance. She shows kindness and understanding, which is something Francie didn't feel that her mother often showed her. I love how their relationship was portrayed. It was pretty complex. Francie often wavered back and forth between being frustrated with her mom, but also trying to put things in perspective or understand why things are the way they are. I love that maturity.