Tudor History Lovers discussion

Group Reads > Nominations Open - Group Read for May 2018

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1948 comments What book about the Tudors or Tudor England would you like to have as our Group Read in May 2018?

If it's in a series, can it be easily read as a stand-alone? If not, you might want to nominate the first book in the series, or the most recent book in it the group has not read together.

Can't remember what we've already read as a group? (Sometimes I can't, either.) There's a "group-reads" shelf on the group's Bookshelf.

Two nominations to a person, please.

message 2: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments The Miracle at St. Bruno's by Philippa Carr.

My Enemy, the Queen by Victoria Holt.

message 4: by Aled (new)

Aled Davies | 11 comments The colours of our petals by Aled Davies.

The Spanish Armada by Robert Hutchinson.

both strong contenders.

message 5: by Matt (last edited Apr 01, 2018 05:14PM) (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 0 comments I’ll nominate The Praise of Folly by Erasmus. This is important to Tudor history because Erasmus worked closely with Sir Thomas More, who was Henry VIII’s closest advisor.

From Wikipedia - In Praise of Folly, also translated as The Praise of Folly, is an essay written in Latin in 1509 by Desiderius Erasmus of Rotterdam and first printed in June 1511. Inspired by previous works of the Italian humanist Faustino Perisauli (it) De Triumpho Stultitiae, it is a satirical attack on superstitions and other traditions of European society as well as on the Western Church.

Erasmus revised and extended his work, which was originally written in the space of a week while sojourning with Sir Thomas More at More's house in Bucklersbury in the City of London.[1] The title Moriae Encomium had a punning second meaning as In Praise of More. In Praise of Folly is considered one of the most notable works of the Renaissance and played an important role in the beginnings of the Protestant Reformation.[2]

message 6: by Michell (new)

Michell Karnes (royalreader) | 229 comments I will nominate...
Root of the Tudor Rose by Mari Griffith
The Tudor Rose by Margaret Campbell Barnes

message 7: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 102 comments I will nominate Katherine the Queen The Remarkable Life of Katherine Parr by Linda Porter and The Other Queen (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #15) by Philippa Gregory .

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1948 comments We read Katherine of Aragon, the True Queen in July 2016.

We read The King's Curse in November 2014.

So you still have two nominations, Tudor Queen.

*TUDOR^QUEEN* (on hiatus) (tudorqueen) | 35 comments Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "We read Katherine of Aragon, the True Queen in July 2016.

We read The King's Curse in November 2014.

So you still have two nominations, Tudor Queen."

Thank you, Susanna. I will instead nominate these two:

Anne of Cleves: Henry's Luckiest Wife Anne of Cleves Henry's Luckiest Wife by D. Lawrence-Young and

The Life and Death of Anne Boleyn The Life and Death of Anne Boleyn by Eric Ives

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1948 comments We read Elizabeth of York: A Tudor Queen and Her World in January 2014. Feel free to make another nomination, Jessica.

message 12: by Kathryne (new)

Kathryne The Perfect Prince by Ann Wroe.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1948 comments If anyone has a nomination to make, now is a good time to make it; I'll probably be opening the poll sometime tomorrow.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1948 comments I will nominate The White Rose Murders and Elizabeth's London: Everyday Life in Elizabethan London, and with that, nominations are closed.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1948 comments The poll is now open. You'll find it on the front page of the group (at the bottom), at the top of the Polls section (link on the right of the group's pages), or here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1... .

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1948 comments If the poll closed now (which it does not), the winner would be The Perfect Prince: The Mystery of Perkin Warbeck and His Quest for the Throne of England, by Ann Wroe.

message 18: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 102 comments @Susanna: I am going to sit out this discussion because The Perfect Prince The Mystery of Perkin Warbeck and His Quest for the Throne of England by Ann Wroe doesn't not appear to be available in audio.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1948 comments Yeah, I saw audio cassette, but that's not a common format these days in terms of what readers actually use.