Reading 1001 discussion

The Count of Monte Cristo
This topic is about The Count of Monte Cristo
Archives > Open discussion.

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments This thread will be a place to comment and ask questions about anything with respect to the book.

Diane Zwang | 1214 comments Mod
I am on chapter 33. The last couple of chapters have had Franz in them. I am not sure who Franz is, I don't remember him from the past. Can someone enlighten me?

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Diane wrote: "I am on chapter 33. The last couple of chapters have had Franz in them. I am not sure who Franz is, I don't remember him from the past. Can someone enlighten me?"

I believe he is a new character. Albert's friend.

Kelly wrote: "Diane wrote: "I am on chapter 33. The last couple of chapters have had Franz in them. I am not sure who Franz is, I don't remember him from the past. Can someone enlighten me?"

I believe he is a n..."

OK thank you. I just read chapter 33 and I did not like it. Too many stories within a story. I would like to get back to Dantes.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Diane wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Diane wrote: "I am on chapter 33. The last couple of chapters have had Franz in them. I am not sure who Franz is, I don't remember him from the past. Can someone enlighten me?"

I bel..."

By Chapter 39 you are through all that mess. I didn't like that part either. Very confusing. And it was really only about manipulating Albert anyway.

Hilde (hilded) | 334 comments Just started the book, quite excited to finally read it :)
I am not sure I will be able to catch up, but I will try to get to at least the end of the April schedule by the end of May.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Hilde wrote: "Just started the book, quite excited to finally read it :)
I am not sure I will be able to catch up, but I will try to get to at least the end of the April schedule by the end of May."

Glad you are joining in! I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

message 8: by Pip (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pip | 1357 comments I just started today, worried that I wouldn't get through it by the end of June, but it has me hooked already and I think I will be reading more than the 100 pages a day I have set as a goal.

Hilde (hilded) | 334 comments Pip wrote: "I just started today, worried that I wouldn't get through it by the end of June, but it has me hooked already and I think I will be reading more than the 100 pages a day I have set as a goal."

I was worried as well, but it is really fast paced. Just started for real this weekend, and am already at page 450. Hope it continues, so far I am loving it. Maybe I will be able to finish by June afterall.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments So glad you both joined us! I will keep discussing it with you after June if you don't finish. But it is possible.

Hilde (hilded) | 334 comments Kelly wrote: "So glad you both joined us! I will keep discussing it with you after June if you don't finish. But it is possible."

Thanks, Kelly! That is very nice of you.

message 12: by Gail (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gail (gailifer) | 1268 comments The "May" or middle section was somewhat wordy and full of explanations as the Count was setting up his plans but I just started into the "June" reading and my goodness, I have had to get up and walk around the house a couple of times I was so distraught and wound up. All the little threads are twisting tighter together. Glad to be back into it.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Gail wrote: "The "May" or middle section was somewhat wordy and full of explanations as the Count was setting up his plans but I just started into the "June" reading and my goodness, I have had to get up and wa..."

I totally agree -- the middle section wasn't as much fun.

Kelly wrote: "Gail wrote: "The "May" or middle section was somewhat wordy and full of explanations as the Count was setting up his plans but I just started into the "June" reading and my goodness, I have had to ..."

I totally agree too. I am also reading this book with one of my friends who is also finding it wordy at times.

Since I have been on chapter 80 the chapters are much shorter and more action packed. I am hoping it stays this way until the end of the book.

message 15: by Pip (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pip | 1357 comments I am absolutely loving all of it. It might be that I am lucky enough to have a modern translation which Jen gave me, but I have found none of it too wordy. I am fascinated that the "revenge is a dish best served cold" theme is so entertaining. Today is Queen's Birthday holiday in New Zealand, the weather is foul, so I am anticipating a morning curled up finishing this masterpiece.

Hilde (hilded) | 334 comments Hilde wrote: "Kelly wrote: "So glad you both joined us! I will keep discussing it with you after June if you don't finish. But it is possible."

Thanks, Kelly! That is very nice of you."

I agree too. But glad to hear the last part is thrilling, looking forward to it :)

Melissa I started in late May too and had no trouble with the beginning, now I’m dragging down a bit with the side stories within the story (I’m at ch 34), but I see others got hung up here a bit, so I’m trying the push through a bit here and get back to the heart of our story.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Melissa wrote: "I started in late May too and had no trouble with the beginning, now I’m dragging down a bit with the side stories within the story (I’m at ch 34), but I see others got hung up here a bit, so I’m t..."

It is worth it to stick with it.

Hilde (hilded) | 334 comments Yay, I finished!!
It was a highly entertaining book, I immensely enjoyed it. Not often I finish a chunkster like this so fast 😊

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Hilde wrote: "Yay, I finished!!
It was a highly entertaining book, I immensely enjoyed it. Not often I finish a chunkster like this so fast 😊"

It is a surprisingly fast read. Glad you liked it!

Melissa Thank you Kelly, I’m well past that now and love the complex set up there... the subtle pushes and pressures and manipulations are something to marvel at. I can see I missed a lot of nuance there when I read the abridged version many years ago. I’m at about halfway now and all the plot threads are starting to come together...all he has to do is pull the threads.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Melissa wrote: "Thank you Kelly, I’m well past that now and love the complex set up there... the subtle pushes and pressures and manipulations are something to marvel at. I can see I missed a lot of nuance there w..."

I love your description of pulling the threads!

Melissa Not a 1001 Book, but I think anyone who read the Count would appreciate this book. The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo it is a non-fiction account of Dumas’s father, whose escapades helped inspire some of The Count of Monte Cristo and The Three Musketeers as well as other works of his. Plus it’s a very interesting account of the lives of bi-racial children during that unique time in history.

message 24: by Gail (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gail (gailifer) | 1268 comments Thank you. Sounds interesting

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments It definitely required a bit of the suspension of disbelief -- so many costumes and disguises.