Play Book Tag discussion

Freshwater
This topic is about Freshwater
Archive: Other Books > LISTOPIA - Freshwater - Akwaeke Emezi - 5 shimmering stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susie (last edited Mar 31, 2018 05:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susie | 4488 comments This book is special. It's not every day that you read something that is utterly unique and takes your breath away. This book did that to me. I selected it as it is on my Listopia list, Man Booker 2018 Eligible Books, and I knew little about it but saw that it had a high average rating so I delved in with my eyes closed. It did take me a while to find my feet but when I did I was completely immersed and adored the experience.

It's really hard to explain without giving too much away. It is about a young Nigerian woman who has developed seperate selves in order to deal with the trauma she has experienced, and this is explained by way of her being possessed by Nigerian spirits. The book is phenomenal, an exploration of mental illness like nothing I have ever read. I highly recommend it to those of you who are able to suspend disbelief, and who are not afraid to immerse themselves in new and strange ideas and writing styles. I'm not sure who of you that would be!!

I spent some time reading about the author after I had finished and found that it helped to deepen my understanding of the novel, which is said to be a fictionalised autobiography.

Tracy (tstan) | 1208 comments I’m moving it up- it sounds terrific!

message 3: by Booknblues (new) - added it

Booknblues | 6199 comments This is one which has been on my radar, so thank you for your thoughtful review.