Readalongs with Ange discussion

April - Far from the Madding.. > Chapter 1 - 28 Discussion (FFTMC)

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ange (new)

Ange | 54 comments Mod
Here we can discuss the first half of Far from the Madding Crowd - up to the end of chapter 28

message 2: by Marcella (new)

Marcella | 5 comments Read the first 4 chapters and I was already giggling on several occasions, I didn't think it would be so funny.

Especially the scene where Gabriel goes to visit Batsheba, and he is getting ready and making himself look nice. It just reminded me a bit of Hagrid going out with Madame Maxime, hahaha

message 3: by Anna Christine (new)

Anna Christine | 5 comments Read the first 4 tonight and already highlighting quotes. Even decided to frame one above my new fireplace! “And at home by the fire, whenever you look up, there I shall be—and whenever I look up, there will be you.” Delightful story so far, loved the description of the midnight sky and stars ❤️

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather | 5 comments I’m excited to read the first 8 chapters today!

message 5: by Kinga (new)

Kinga I read the first 4 chapters today and I am not sure what to think about it. Firstly that's my first Hardy novel and I have read just a few classics so far (thus I joined this group with anticipation to read more of them and get some motivation to do so) I found language and narration style to be a bit challenging. However I found as well the fourth chapter to be comical, which gives me hope for the rest of the book.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather | 5 comments I was the same way when I started this book a year ago! I only read the first 3 chapters and put it down. So glad someone else found the language challenging.

message 7: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whiteislephoenix) | 4 comments Starting right now! :D

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather | 5 comments I will read my chapters for tomorrow in the morning early.

message 9: by Anna Christine (new)

Anna Christine | 5 comments Yes, challenging language. I had to reread some passages for sure!

message 10: by Kinga (new)

Kinga I'm happy to report that after next 4 chapters it got easier to follow the storyline, however I am now concerned whether I need to remember all the names of farm workers who appeared in chapter 8. There's so many of them!

message 11: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (bookedforlife) | 6 comments I've read the first eight chapters so far, but I'm really not feeling it yet. I don't hate it, but I don't like it either.

Part of it is the challenging language, and part of it is that it's just not grabbing my attention. I keep skimming and my mind keeps drifting, so I keep having to go over it again. I don't really see the humor that others are seeing, and chapter eight, in particular, was such a slog to get through.

I flicked ahead a bit and the next several chapters look much shorter than the last one, so I'm holding out hope that that means the pace will pick up soon.

message 12: by Kinga (new)

Kinga Now in today's four chapters we're finally introduced to the other two suitors: Mr. Boldwood and Sergeant Troy. They're definitely very different from each other, and from Gabriel Oak, so I won't have problems distinguishing between them later on. However I am a bit worried they will fall into their character archetypes (Mr. Boldwood being wealthy, but cold and Sergeant Troy seductive and manipulating) instead of becoming more complex and human characters.
I'm interested to hear what others think about them.

message 13: by Berna (last edited Apr 22, 2018 12:33AM) (new)

Berna | 0 comments I finished the section up to Chapter 28 just now.
I have conflicting feelings about the book, the story seems interesting but the writing style felt too much "flowery (I do not know if it is the right word)". I felt as if some passages were written not to contribute to the story but for the sake of having a beautiful paragraph.
I am not a fan of the characters except Gabriel Oak but I still wonder what would happen to them. As Kinga mentioned, they need to be fleshed out more for me to actually care for them.

message 14: by Kinga (new)

Kinga Berna wrote: "I finished the section up to Chapter 28 just now.
I have conflicting feelings about the book, the story seems interesting but the writing style felt too much "flowery (I do not know if it is the r..."

My thoughts exactly on the writing style. I had as well few days off from reading the book and it took me again a couple of chapters to get into it.
Gabriel Oaks seems the most grounded character of the trio, but I wonder what will be his next appearance.
With all the characters at play I suspect the second half of the novel will be filled with more drama, heart palpitations and twists in the narration.

message 15: by MªJesús (new)

MªJesús Tovar | 20 comments I’m quite delayed in reading the book but I’m very much enjoying it. I like the descriptions of the rural environment and how the author shows us the feelings and the thoughts of the main characters.
Something that intrigues me is the role that Fanny may have later on the plot of the story, as she has dissappeared as mysteriously as it appeared.