Readalongs with Ange discussion

April - East of Eden > Chapter 1 - 28 Discussion

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ange (new)

Ange | 54 comments Mod
Here we can discuss the first half of East of Eden

message 2: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (bookedforlife) | 6 comments So, I planned on following the reading schedule because I thought it would make this book easier to get through, but it seems that won't be necessary. It hooked me immediately! I read the first eight chapters today. I only stopped because I actually do want to pace myself a bit.

This is my first time reading anything by Steinbeck, and I'm kicking myself for not reading any of his works before now. I'm loving his writing, and the characters, so far. Off to a great start!

message 3: by Ange (new)

Ange | 54 comments Mod
That is great to hear Lindsey! I started yesterday and I am at chapter 7 now and I agree, I love his writing and his characters. It has quite dark themes but such beautiful writing. I am loving it!

message 4: by MªJesús (new)

MªJesús Tovar | 20 comments I’m finishing chapter 8. I like the way the author introduces us the characters and I’m waiting for the moment their lives intersect.

message 5: by Lia (new)

Lia (hydeseek) | 4 comments Yes. Hook line and sinker. Loving it so far. So many notes in my book.
I love how you immediately tell get a sense of who everyone is and how they fit in the story.
How evil is Cathy. chapter 7 and she is already amazingly evil. Where will it go from here ???

message 6: by Ange (new)

Ange | 54 comments Mod
Lia wrote: "Yes. Hook line and sinker. Loving it so far. So many notes in my book.
I love how you immediately tell get a sense of who everyone is and how they fit in the story.
How evil is Cathy. chapter 7 a..."

I just finished reading chapter 8 and wow she is completely evil! I feel like she will surprise us with everything she does throughout the novel. It seems as if she is a person who lets no one get in their way.

message 7: by Henna (new)

Henna (hennasbooks) | 4 comments I've only read The Pearl from Steinbeck before and thought it was only ok (actually hated it when I first read it when I was 15...) but now I'm starting to think it's because it is such a short book and Steinbeck didn't get to describe every person and landscape in detail as he does in this book. I'm loving his writing style, he has created some amazing (and awful) characters.

I just finished part one and the thing I was dreading since introduction of Cathy has happened. Can't wait to get to the next part.

message 8: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (bookedforlife) | 6 comments Henna wrote: "I've only read The Pearl from Steinbeck before and thought it was only ok (actually hated it when I first read it when I was 15...) but now I'm starting to think it's because it is such a short boo..."

I'm a couple chapters into part three and it just gets better. The characters are so vivid and real. Every one of them is interesting and engaging in their own way. I can't remember the last time I got so attached to a cast of characters.

And his writing style truly is great, maybe a wee bit long-winded in a couple spots, but beautiful enough that I really don't care. I think this book is going to end up one of my all-time favorites by the time I'm finished, barring any disastrous downturns in quality.

message 9: by MªJesús (new)

MªJesús Tovar | 20 comments Funny anecdotes: Olive and the aeroplane!! I imagine all the situation and it makes me laugh.

message 10: by MªJesús (new)

MªJesús Tovar | 20 comments I’ve finished chapter 16 and the character I like the most by far is Samuel Hamilton.

message 11: by Ange (new)

Ange | 54 comments Mod
I just read to the end of chapter 16 and I'm am still loving it. I have a hard time putting it down after I have read the four chapters. I'm glad everyone else is enjoying it.

I really like Samuel Hamilton too. I'm so on edge in regards to Cathy. I'm worried about what she might do next.

His writing is absolutely brilliant.

message 12: by MªJesús (new)

MªJesús Tovar | 20 comments Cathy is like a spider and I’m wondering who is going to fall in her net.

message 13: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (bookedforlife) | 6 comments MªJesús wrote: "Funny anecdotes: Olive and the aeroplane!! I imagine all the situation and it makes me laugh."

Haha! I loved that part too! It makes for a hilarious image.

And Sam is great, but Lee is my favorite. I adore him.

As for Cathy...oh, boy. Just wait.

message 14: by Henna (new)

Henna (hennasbooks) | 4 comments I couldn't stop after chapter 20 today, so I read the rest of part two. Now I might be able to restrain myself from reading more today (it's only 3 PM though :) )

I have been writing notes after every chapter but it seems that I no longer have words to describe the horror that is Cathy...

message 15: by Quirkyreader (new)

Quirkyreader | 14 comments Due to work and other things I am chugging along slowly. I am currently on chapter 4. And so far the sibling rivalry between Adam and Charles is disturbing.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 3 comments I agree, Henna. Cathy really is a manipulative character. She almost makes Scarlett O'Hara look innocent. I was shocked by the events in Gone With the Wind at times, but Cathy really is on a whole other level.

I found the relationship between the two brothers interesting too. It gets more interesting later on, but I don't want to spoil anything.

I'm finding the book quite predictable in places - you can predict broad events and the meeting up of certain characters. But it still manages to hold your interest because the characters are so unique, and sometimes downright horrible.

message 17: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 14 comments I feel ya Quirkyreader, I got a late start and have only read 1 chapter a day over the last 2 days and I am feeling like this will be a month long book or more.

message 18: by Lynna (new)

Lynna | 1 comments Other than being completely evil and a not nice person....does anyone think Cathy suffered from Multiple Personality Disorder or some other disorder?

message 19: by MªJesús (new)

MªJesús Tovar | 20 comments I hadn’t thought about it... but it could be a possibility. We’ll see how the story continues.

message 20: by MªJesús (new)

MªJesús Tovar | 20 comments I‘ ve finished chapter 21 and...about Cathy. How is it possible to be so calculatedly evil? She’s not human, she has no feelings at all. She’s terrifying!!!

message 21: by Lia (new)

Lia (hydeseek) | 4 comments Really her behaviour is psychopathic in nature but hard to say. She is a monster. The flat emotional response. The pathological lies. The lack of remorse.

Wow. It is all so good. I loved the explanation of the Cane and Able story from Lee after consulting the elders and the rabbis. That was brilliant.

message 22: by MªJesús (new)

MªJesús Tovar | 20 comments The name of the narrator of the story (not the author) is John Steinbeck, the son of Olive Hamilton and Ernest Steinbeck. These are the real names of the author’s parents!! Am I right?

Sylvia M Anderson | 2 comments This is my first Steinbeck novel too. I’m kicking myself for being too intimidated to read him before this! Am I the only one who cried when Samuel died and when Lee announced he wanted to leave? I really am fascinated at the way Steinbeck has repeated many similarities from the brothers Adam and Charles in Aron and Cal.

message 24: by Lia (new)

Lia (hydeseek) | 4 comments Sylvia M Anderson wrote: "This is my first Steinbeck novel too. I’m kicking myself for being too intimidated to read him before this! Am I the only one who cried when Samuel died and when Lee announced he wanted to leave? I..."

I was gutted by Samuel dying. I expected it but it was still awful.

message 25: by Marcella (new)

Marcella | 5 comments I'm really enjoying it so far, but I must say it is a lot darker than I expected it to be. Cathy is just really scary..

I took me a while to get into the novel, I must say I didn't really like any of the characters in the beginning, but now some of them are starting to warm on me.

I'm interested to see how it will continue, I especially like Aron and Cal's storyline.. I wonder if they will ever meet their mother.

message 26: by Ange (new)

Ange | 54 comments Mod
So I'm a little behind but I am trying to catch up. Had a very busy weekend.

I was so sad to read that Samuel had died too. He was probably one of my favourite characters. Lee is another.

I feel like Cathy did a number on Adam, but after 11 years, I would think that he would have moved on. Cathy must really make an impression on people.

Cathy though is relentless, she will stop at nothing to get her way and it's terrifying. I thought she couldn't do any worse after what she did to her parents. But her plots become more cunning and evil.

message 27: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (bookedforlife) | 6 comments Cathy definitely leaves an impression on people. No matter what kind of impression it is, I'm thinking no one who has met her will ever really forget her or how she made them feel.

Unfortunately for Adam, he didn't see what everyone else saw in the beginning and his vision was shattered in a pretty spectacular way (though it did take a little too long for him to snap out of his funk completely). I feel bad for him, but I'm also amazed that he just couldn't see even a glimpse of the heartlessness underneath.

message 28: by Quirkyreader (new)

Quirkyreader | 14 comments I just started chapter 22. Hopefully I can get somewhat caught up this weekend.

message 29: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 14 comments Am I the only one who didn't get finished with the book? I am enjoying it and will finish.