UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > Last time on...

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments This happened to me just a few days ago. I settled down to read a sequel to a book I enjoyed a while back and had no clue how it related to the first book.

Frustrating.

Do you agree with this as a solution?

Books Need “Previously On” Segments, Too - Book Riot
https://apple.news/AYVYf4xiCO2qdiPvdK...

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21938 comments the problem is that with 'look inside' you'd have to be careful otherwise the reader would only get this bit.
Might actually make more sense sticking it at the back
But then you might get in trouble with Amazon assuming you're doing it to ensure the book is 'read' when it's borrowed

message 3: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Mar 30, 2018 09:29PM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments How about a concise few sentences in the blurb?

I think 3-5 pages might be a bit excessive.

And I still wish authors would include the blurb for their books immediately after the cover.
I've come across a few books that have but it's certainly not industry standard yet.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21938 comments There isn't an industry standard. With ebooks I avoid the dedications, chapter headings and all the rest of that stuff and just start with the story. It's all targeted at the 'look inside' feature.

I think the author just wants to put something there to get the reader hooked

I can see it being a useful idea for sequels. I can also see it being useful if there was 'an industry standard'
But really that boils down to what readers want. How many want dedications and chapter headings?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I just want a blurb so I don't have to go online every time I'm looking for a new book to read.

*sob*

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1707 comments Ah... at last I am starting to think I could be doing something right. My new book has a mini blurb - enough to remind a buyer of what they bought 6 weeks ago - right after the heading 'Prologue'.

Then I've tried to drop in the key features of the previous two books. Karl still can't take his eyes off Lucy even though she's now happily married. And what happened in their last adventure on the Isle of Wight is talked about when someone arrives with news of the latest situation on the island.

Etc.

I'm so pleased to hear you suggest this, Patti, because others say they remember their previously read books and they don't need backstory.

I'd like to award you with an Easter egg, but I might have to eat it for you.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Yes, backstory, please!

I read books, I don't memorise them!

Could I have a chocolate bunny instead, please? I'll let you chew the ears off.

message 9: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments If it's been a long time, I often re-read the previous book before starting on a new one.

At the start of the year, that involved re-reading an entire 5 book series, cos the author had left it 7 years before writing book 6!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Think of all the new books you could have read, Tim!

I want that bunny, GL.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments You are welcome to have it Patti.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments But not a photo! A real one!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "But not a photo! A real one!"

Looks like its out of stock :(

https://www.oldestsweetshop.co.uk/lau...

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9086 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Think of all the new books you could have read, Tim!

I want that bunny, GL."

Yeah but, if I've enjoyed reading a book enough to want read another in the same series then re-reading it will be a pleasure, not a chore

message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1707 comments Gingerlily - The other Stroopwafel Sister! wrote: ""

I think that must be one of those boxing hares - I tried to nibble its ears and I got smacked on the nose.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) wrote: "Patti (baconater) wrote: "Think of all the new books you could have read, Tim!

I want that bunny, GL."

Yeah but, if I've enjoyed reading a book enough to want read another in the same series then..."

Yeah but how often does that happen?

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9086 comments Not that often tbh. Only really the Red Knight series recently and that's because he's still been writing them. Usually I start a series that's already written and just read them one after the other, if I like 'em.

message 18: by Tim (last edited Mar 31, 2018 12:27PM) (new)

Tim | 9478 comments I've only re-read two serieses in the past 10 or so years.

Although I might be on for a Pratchett re-read sometime soon . . .

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I know I should love Pratchett.

Sigh. I just don't.

I reread Sai King. And Sai Humphries.

I've got thousands on my TBR so I'm trying to not re-read.

message 20: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments I'm thinking it might be time to clear out some of those "Never Gonna Reads" that are littering my Kindle . . .

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Ive got rid of a least a dozen over the past couple weeks. Only a few hundred to go...

message 22: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1707 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "I know I should love Pratchett.

Sigh. I just don't."

Same here, Patti. I'll perhaps try one day when I run out of other things to read.

message 23: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "I reread Sai King. And Sai Humphries."

I get a 'Sai'?

message 24: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments It's a balancing act. If you include a "previously on" section, you might alienate some readers who are reading the series in one go. They might get fed up reading something that they already know. And it doesn't work too well with the "look inside" feature.

On the other hand, if you don't include a "previously on" section you might annoy readers who are joining in the middle or who have forgotten the earlier book (s).

Personally I like to include a bit of catching up somewhere in the first chapter, but usually not straight away. I like to get the new story rolling first.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11186 comments Tim wrote: "I'm thinking it might be time to clear out some of those "Never Gonna Reads" that are littering my Kindle . . ."

I should do that. There are too many new books to re-read though

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Darren wrote: "Patti (baconater) wrote: "I reread Sai King. And Sai Humphries."

I get a 'Sai'?"

Yes. When you don't get a sigh. Or a pffft.

message 27: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments Some of the people at work have been reading the The Man From U.N.D.E.A.D. - The Curious Case Of The Kidnapped Chemist books and they've been coming up to me and sharing all their favourite bits. They don't get that I wrote the first one six years ago and so don't remember the phrases that they read only last night.

It's nice to get to some face to face appreciation, though.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Very cool! How'd they find out about them? I can't imagine you telling anyone you're a writer, you wazzock.

And I'll have to remember to insult you a bit to keep things balanced.

Don't need you getting all big headed.

message 29: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments You mean you don't remember every word you ever wrote as if it were yesterday? Me neither!

message 30: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21938 comments Tim wrote: "You mean you don't remember every word you ever wrote as if it were yesterday? Me neither!"

especially when sometimes people comment to me about stuff I wrote in the 1980s!

message 31: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1707 comments Same here. I'd hate to be asked to do a TV interview on the spur of the moment. I can picture my puzzled face at every question asked.

message 32: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) | 4241 comments Darren wrote: "Some of the people at work have been reading the The Man From U.N.D.E.A.D. - The Curious Case Of The Kidnapped Chemist books and they've been coming up to me and sharing all their f..."

That must have been fun, in spite of the lack of perfect recall on your part. Congratulations.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Now I'm picturing Darren's head coming off to expose Arnold Swartzennegger.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments And see? Even authors need recaps!

message 35: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21938 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "And see? Even authors need recaps!"

no, sometimes we forget things for good reason ;-)

message 36: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments I understand now why writers of book and tv series keep 'bibles' for continuity and suchlike. Maybe I need an A to Z of the Man From UNDEAD

message 37: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21938 comments I have a gazetteer for the Land of the Three Seas

message 38: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth White | 2067 comments I have a DP including a very potted description of their roles for the forthcoming sequel to Dragon Bearer's Son.

message 39: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1707 comments I have a physical master note book for each book I write. The problem is, if I keep adding various attributes to a character, I sometimes forget to update the master book!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Darren wrote: "I understand now why writers of book and tv series keep 'bibles' for continuity and suchlike. Maybe I need an A to Z of the Man From UNDEAD"

B - Blows shit up a lot

E - explosions - lots and lots
- environmental concerns - see under B

etc etc

message 41: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments Gingerlily - The other Stroopwafel Sister! wrote: "Darren wrote: "I understand now why writers of book and tv series keep 'bibles' for continuity and suchlike. Maybe I need an A to Z of the Man From UNDEAD"

B - Blows shit up a lot

E - explosions..."

There's more to Ward than explosions. Not a lot more, I grant you, but more.

message 42: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments R - Runs away from stuff that doesn't blow up, or does blow up even . . .

message 43: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments My problem with The Banned Underground is the risk of repeating jokes. I've long forgotten the ones I wrote in for first four books.