UK Book Club discussion

Random Chit-Chat > Bucket List

Comments Showing 1-50 of 486 (486 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by Em (last edited Jul 25, 2014 08:48AM) (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I took pity on you! Feel free to share...

As Tori has suggested, we'd like to know all the things we must do before we croak it as well as all the books we must read.

message 2: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 757 comments Peru, Rio, Australia Barrier Reef, Venice

So many places to go....

message 3: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1102 comments As stated previously
New Orleans
Chris issak (see him live,not DO him,just to clarify)
AND thought of another...
Have the whole cinema to myself...its never empty no matter what time I go.

message 4: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Em wrote: "I took pity on you! Feel free to share...

As Tori has suggested, we'd like to know all the things we must do before we croak it as well as all the books we must read."

Thank you, Em.

Well.......

I've just started The Stand which was on my hubby's bucket list on my behalf. Myself? I would have avoided it for ever. Anyway, after more than 70 minutes of reading the damn thing, I've managed to reach the milestone of 2% complete!!! I'm wondering if I'll finish it before I pop my clogs. He calmly informed me this morning that I'm reading the uncut version. Sigh.

Before I croak it (this isn't a desire of mine, just a sad realisation) I really should make it my aim to run a mile without dying. I need gas and air after about 100 metres of running. In my defence, I think I have a low pain threshold. These people who insist on pushing their bodies until all their muscles scream with pain and discomfort, and run until their lungs are burning, are a mystery to me. But I think I should try to work through this pain barrier that people talk about and see if I can run a mile in the end. That goal will not be achieved any time soon because I'm not interested. But if middle age spread starts to take an interest in me and thicken up my waist and thighs, the 1 mile challenge could start to look very real. 1 mile!! A full one. You know how people can't conceive of light years? Running 1 mile is like that for me. I might see if the hospital will donate an oxygen tank just in case, and have one of my offspring follow me with it. Anyway, let's not get ahead of ourselves. That's one for the future. I'll think about details if it comes to it.

Louise - that's a good one, have the cinema all to yourself. Do you fancy a snog on the back row? I'm not offering, obviously, just wonderin'!

message 5: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1102 comments Erm..No...No snogging as I want it ALL TO MYSELF!!

On a serious note, as a person who couldn't run for a bus,I did the couch to 5k app..it's a revelation...it had me running 7k EVERY morning...before laziness and injury took hold. Give it a go.

message 6: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Louise wrote: "Erm..No...No snogging as I want it ALL TO MYSELF!!

On a serious note, as a person who couldn't run for a bus,I did the couch to 5k app..it's a revelation...it had me running 7k EVERY morning...bef..."

Lol! Oh right. When you said all to yourself, you meant it literally! You need to find a really rubbish film at some unearthly hour at some horrific cinema to be in with a chance. There were some really crap films advertised when I went to see Planet of the Apes this week. Guardians of the Galaxy or something. It looked completely grim, and the bits they showed must have been the highlights. Maybe that's a candidate at 1 a.m. at some remote cinema somewhere in north Wales.

Couch to 5K app? That's one to avoid then. But I'm mightily impressed that it had you running 7K every morning. I'd need Jedi powers to manage that, I don't know about an app. Couch to fridge needs some doing in the winter. One day, Louise. I'm a professional procrastinator.

On my bucket list (and I'm serious about this) I'd like to overcome my ridiculous apprehension about going away on holiday. I'm not afraid, or anxious - quite - but I'm filled with a weird kind of trepidation. It really bugs me. Gona get on top of that one of these days because it's becoming clear I won't be able to dodge it either.

message 7: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1930 comments Tori wrote: "Louise wrote: "Erm..No...No snogging as I want it ALL TO MYSELF!!

On a serious note, as a person who couldn't run for a bus,I did the couch to 5k app..it's a revelation...it had me running 7k EVER..."

I know what you mean about travel anxiety. I have it too, especially more so now that I'm older.

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda Kelly | 251 comments Daniel Day Lewis....and I'm afraid I do mean 'do' him. I don't mind going on holiday but I wont fly anywhere...major phobia. I get panic attacks when we drive past Gatwick airport and planes are coming in to land really low.

message 9: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Louise wrote: "As stated previously
New Orleans
Chris issak (see him live,not DO him,just to clarify)
AND thought of another...
Have the whole cinema to myself...its never empty no matter what time I go."

Chris Issak? I never dreamed I'd meet somebody like him...

message 10: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Tori wrote: "Em wrote: "I took pity on you! Feel free to share...

As Tori has suggested, we'd like to know all the things we must do before we croak it as well as all the books we must read."

Thank you, Em. ..."

I read the un-cut, super long version of The Stand fairly recently, I also read the original, also very long version when I was 17/18 years old so that one's definitely - tick. Task complete.

message 11: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 5528 comments Mod
Linda wrote: "Daniel Day Lewis....and I'm afraid I do mean 'do' him. I don't mind going on holiday but I wont fly anywhere...major phobia. I get panic attacks when we drive past Gatwick airport and planes are co..."

lol.....in that case Ashley Judd

Other than that......and ok they are all very aspirational but hey ho.

1) Be at the game when LFC win their 6th Champions League
2) Swallow the pills when those nice genetic scientist people convert the cure to humans that they've already made work on mice re my Myotonic Muscular Dystrophy
3) Persuade Morrissey and Johnny Marr to reform The Smiths
4) Watch Tori and Louise having a snog on the back row

message 12: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 757 comments Ian wrote: "Linda wrote: "Daniel Day Lewis....and I'm afraid I do mean 'do' him. I don't mind going on holiday but I wont fly anywhere...major phobia. I get panic attacks when we drive past Gatwick airport and..."

Re 4) I think the trip to Figleaves.com has raised the fantasy level slightly.

message 13: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1102 comments Ian wrote: "Linda wrote: "Daniel Day Lewis....and I'm afraid I do mean 'do' him. I don't mind going on holiday but I wont fly anywhere...major phobia. I get panic attacks when we drive past Gatwick airport and..."

Well,ONE of them MIGHT happen......

message 14: by Robert (new)

Robert (bobhe) | 785 comments Ian wrote: "Linda wrote: "Daniel Day Lewis....and I'm afraid I do mean 'do' him. I don't mind going on holiday but I wont fly anywhere...major phobia. I get panic attacks when we drive past Gatwick airport and..."
Im well up for 2 and 4
1 never going to happen
and hate The Smiths

message 15: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Flippin heck. My internet connection has been down all day. Local technical problems. ROFL at these responses that have gone on while my back's been turned.

Ian, I reckon you've got a great chance with 1), or you did have until Man U signed that new manager. The other bucket desires probably get less likely as they head towards 4) What's the female equivalent of a red blooded male?

Still laughing. OH is wondering what I'm giggling at. He can wonder.

message 16: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Ate four black olives today without my face creasing up. They actually weren't that bad. They were mild compared to previous ones I've eaten. I bought a pre-packed tuna salad this lunchtime and it was littered with olives. Threw most of them away but managed the aforementioned four.

Back of the net.

Plus, went on a bike ride tonight all by myself! The first ride in a year. My 1 mile run challenge just got a metre nearer. I didn't go for that reason of course. I went for the pure joy of feeling the wind rifle through my lack of hair. Really enjoyed it.

A very good bucket day for me.

message 17: by Linda (new)

Linda Kelly | 251 comments Yum, I could eat olives until the cows come home.

message 18: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Really Linda? I aspire to that level of pleasure at the sight of an olive. Can you suggest ways I might start to like the horrible things? It's on my bucket list to turn disgust to desire when it comes to olives. Must I imagine they're something else?

Catch up with you tomorrow. Off to bed now. The pillow is calling and at my semi-mature age, I must obey!

message 19: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1930 comments Give yourself credit for eating 4 olives, Tori! I won't touch the vile things!

message 20: by Paulfozz (new)

Paulfozz Number 1 on my bucket list… buy a bucket. ;-)

message 21: by Linda (new)

Linda Kelly | 251 comments Well Tori I aspire to try anything once, twice if I like it! Seriously though if something disgusts you that much forget I say. Life is too short. Do the things you love, listen to the music you love, read the books you enjoy, eat the foods which gives your tongue orgasms. Otherwise you might as well put John Prescott on your 'to do' list.....(involuntary shudder there).

message 22: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1102 comments Or do the things that challenge you...eating olives isn't going to enhance your life at all. :)

message 23: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I'd like to get good at Chess... well, better than I currently am anyway. More luck that strategy.

message 24: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1930 comments Linda wrote: "Well Tori I aspire to try anything once, twice if I like it! Seriously though if something disgusts you that much forget I say. Life is too short. Do the things you love, listen to the music you lo..."

Linda - words to live by!

message 25: by Linda (new)

Linda Kelly | 251 comments Oh it enhances mine Louise..lol.

message 26: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments I used to be the school chess champ, Em. Straight up. I've never exaggerated or told a word of a lie on any of these threads. I just wouldn't. Haven't played chess for years though.

Linda, I really love food. While I agree it most certainly won't enhance my life eating olives, I feel as though they've beaten me, which is why they're on the bucket list. I used to hate walnuts. I'd eat mixed nuts and leave the walnuts. Then something clicked in my brain and I became totally hooked on walnuts. I mean big time. I used to eat about 250g a day. I spent my 40th birthday with 6 female friends and my daughters - just the afternoon. They'd planned a few daft things. one of them was to blindfold me and present me with different walnuts. Sad as this is, I was able to identify where the walnuts came from: M&S, Aldi, Morrisons, Tesco etc. I got one wrong. That's the kind of walnut freak I used to be. Can't eat them now. One day, my body yelled, ENOUGH!

I don't want to be the same with olives, but I am convinced I can like them with perseverance. Gona keep trying.

message 27: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Paulfozz wrote: "Number 1 on my bucket list… buy a bucket. ;-)"

Lol! A good place to start!

message 28: by Linda (new)

Linda Kelly | 251 comments Well I salute your perseverance Tori, nothing in this world would make me eat hummous, not even if it was smeared over the lovely Mr Day Lewis.

message 29: by Lynne - The Book Squirrel (last edited Jul 27, 2014 11:49AM) (new)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3620 comments Em wrote: "I'd like to get good at Chess... well, better than I currently am anyway. More luck that strategy."

Dad taught me the basics in Chess and then I taught the lovely ex and I never won a game again!

Think my dad let me win a few times though!

message 30: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Linda wrote: "Well I salute your perseverance Tori, nothing in this world would make me eat hummous, not even if it was smeared over the lovely Mr Day Lewis."

Lol! I love hummous, whoever's wearing it! I'm not sure perseverance is the right word for me. Maybe I'm just stubborn. Not gona let those nasty rubber Old Spice balls beat me.

Lynne, my dad taught me to play chess too. He was a very good player. Same experience as you, but mine more humiliating. Taught oldest son to play and he started winning games when he was about 12. No fun to sit for hours locked intellectually with a brainy little thing who finds a way to pierce your defences and bring you down. Then my second son was better than me on the piano when he was about the same age.

Time to give up?

message 31: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments My new bucket list addition is to get Helen to experience a classical concert live. On my own personal bucket list for music, I'd like to see a jazz pianist live before I croak it. I never have. My uncle once saw Oscar Peterson live in Stockport, if that name and place means anything to anyone. Peterson has been dead for a few years but is one of the greatest jazz pianists of all time.

I'll say now that 90% of classical music bores me. The concert must be carefully selected, Helen. The 10% of stuff I enjoy though, I absolutely love and am willing to pay to see. I'm not an opera fan. Like Shakespeare, I don't really get it. I reckon people who like olives like Shakespeare and opera. In fact, they probably take olives as a snack while they're watching. I don't reckon anyone who goes to see an opera sneaks a bag of revels and a carton of ribena in their bags like I do when I go to the cinema.

Haven't had any olives since last Saturday. One bout of old men's perfume in food form is enough for one week. I'm sure Linda will disagree!

message 32: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 757 comments Tori you do make me laugh with your posts! Adding to my bucket list reading Tori's new book!

On classical front still want to see 1812 Overture at Royal Albert Hall with real cannons. My wife is into Jazz whereas I get close with big band stuff. Love watching Jules Holland play with his big band

message 33: by Linda (new)

Linda Kelly | 251 comments I've also put reading Tori's book on my bucket list! And for the record I love olives and Shakespeare but not opera. In fact I watched Hamlet with David Tennant last night,alas I had no olives to hand.

message 34: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I also like olives and Shakespeare SOME opera and although I also like listening to classical music sometimes you know, in the background when I'm reading, I'm not sure I'd stay awake through a concert.

message 35: by Tori (last edited Jul 30, 2014 05:55AM) (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments That's scary, Philip and Linda I'm very intimidated by these kind offers to read my work, let me tell you.

Em, must I rest my case? Olives, Shakespeare and opera (albeit some). Scored 3 out of 3 on the big culture test. Linda's doing pretty well too. I'm feeling rubbish now. Forcing myself to listen to opera isn't going on the bucket list though. No chance.

Anyway, many moons ago, I listened to the 1812 Overture live. The orchestra was a speck in the distance at an open air concert at a huge park in Manchester, where people sat on blankets with picnics. Well, people who weren't like me did that. I was only about 20, had never been introduced to the idea of olives, or the delights of hummous and exotic fruits. My growing up years in the north west as one of seven children involved a lot of stew and basic meat (mainly mince) with veg and (for pud) occasional homemade rice pudding or apple pie or an apple or yoghurt if I was lucky. I'd never had pasta dishes back then, or curry or anything remotely oriental. I thought a noodle was a really stupid person. So - get me in this park, just married, wondering what people were pulling out of their picnic baskets while they sat on comfy-looking blankets or fold-up chairs, chomping on funny-looking green or black balls that I discovered much later tasted of men's perfume. I could only gaze. So I took my cardi off and sat on it and unwrapped my sandwich which was probably peanut butter or something and listened to the 1812 Overture (amongst other things) through huge loudspeakers. Maybe we can trace my longing to look cool eating olives to that exact night. No cannons that I can recall, Philip, but there were definitely fireworks at THE moment.

message 36: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 757 comments I have been known to listen to opera but not my favourite genre. Love the Bard especially performed live - even on film the 1968(?) version of Romeo & Juliet remains high on my list. On my list (and I have no excuse) is to do The Globe. I even eat olives. These days I only want to go to concerts or the theatre with top tickets but I stop myself because of the price. Still got to see Monty Python live recently - another thing ticked off.

Should have seen, Rolling Stones and Fleetwood Mac in their pomp even Status Quo. but I don't think the bucket list allows time travel if it did I would go to 1967 and the Monterey Rock festival just because of who was on
Performers here

message 37: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Regrets, regrets!

I don't particularly regret this, but just sayin' - I once had a ticket to see Michael Jackson. I would have been 7 months pregnant with my first child when he did that concert. I'd bought the ticket before I knew that motherhood was imminent. Anyway, I sold the ticket. I didn't want to be in crowds of people and music blasting in the delicate ears of my unborn child at that stage. So I never saw him. That was 26 years ago.

I have seen a couple of live Shakespeare plays, both at the Crucible in Sheffield. Both during yr 13 when I was doing A level English Lit. Maybe I'm judging Shakespeare from my youthful experiences which I didn't enjoy. Plus the English Lit teacher was completely uninspiring. He was called Mr Hall. We used to call him Bugger 'all because that was what we learned with him. (sorry Julia - I will wash my fingertips with soap and water in a minute).

message 38: by Robert (new)

Robert (bobhe) | 785 comments Tori wrote: "Regrets, regrateys!

I don't particularly regret this, but just sayin' - I once had a ticket to see Michael Jackson. I would have been 7 months pregnant with my first child when he did that concert...."

That such a shame. Saw Queen at Wembley when wife 4 months pregnant with eldest. Had to sit at back but greatest concert ever

message 39: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Love olives, preferably chewy unpitted black ones in a delicious slathering of olive oil.

message 40: by Tori (last edited Jul 30, 2014 01:06PM) (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Didn't have you down as an olive lover, Ian. You even make them sound enticing. I've only got Joy as an ally! When I go to Morrisons on Monday, I'm going to buy a fresh tub. OH will see them off if I'm too repulsed to plough on!

message 41: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Robert wrote: "Tori wrote: "Regrets, regrateys!

I don't particularly regret this, but just sayin' - I once had a ticket to see Michael Jackson. I would have been 7 months pregnant with my first child when he di..."

I never liked their music, Bob, but I have to acknowledge two things about Queen. Freddie was a unique performer and Bohemian Rhapsody was a unique and timeless and pretty fascinating piece (in the pop world at least}

message 42: by Linda (new)

Linda Kelly | 251 comments Tori, just to clarify, I am not going to read your book out of kindness. I read a synopsis and it sounded very interesting and intriguing, just the sort of book I enjoy. So I look forward to reading it very much and I promise I will give it an honest review! And if you manage even half a tub of olives you will have my undying respect.

message 43: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Lol! Thanks Linda. I think I'm still at the stage where I feel as though I should be paying people to read it. No need to be honest, I'm perfectly happy with flattery and lies. Kidding. Half ;-)

As for the olives, I'm bracing myself for the Monday bucket challenge. You're going to have to trust me. No video evidence of this achievement (assuming there'll be one) will be available. Meanwhile, if you were to down a quarter of a teaspoon of hummous on a cracker, I think it would dwarf my half-a-tub-olive-achievement.

Don't fancy my persuasive chances though!

message 44: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 757 comments More bucket list for me - no olives!

Canadian coast to coast by train
Dinner at the Savoy
Learn to surf - no laughing
Retire from my proper job

message 45: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1930 comments Bucket list - take a cruise (get over my irrational fear of cruises)!
Also stop worrying so much in general - life is short!

message 46: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1930 comments Tori wrote: "Regrets, regrets!

I don't particularly regret this, but just sayin' - I once had a ticket to see Michael Jackson. I would have been 7 months pregnant with my first child when he did that concert...."

Would have been great to have seen Michael Jackson. Cher was recently in town (with Cyndi Lauper) and I'm still kicking myself that I didn't go to that one. We are going to see Yanni in Sept. Can't wait for that! Saw him years ago and I have quite a few of his CD's.

message 47: by James (new)

James (birchoverjames) | 507 comments Saw Queen at Wemblety Stadium supported by INXS, this was third concert on the trot I saw.
Started with Wham the Final, supported by Gary Glitter, then Rod Stewart supported by Wizzard. A brilliant three weeks. Even got paid to be there.
My one regret was not travelling with madonna to spain. Had the chance to work at merchandising but could not persuede OH it was a good idea.
Favourite artist seen live has to be Fleetwood Mac. Seen at the old Manchester City Stadium. Those were the days.
On my bucket list are:
To drive down US 1 from Seattle to San Diegoand to drive from Chicago to Los Angels along Route 66.

message 48: by Tori (last edited Jul 31, 2014 07:46AM) (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Some golden oldies mentioned there Joy and James.

I couldn't justify dinner at the Savoy. I'd be thinking of all the things I could have bought if I hadn't just given in the urge to have a posh version of steak and chips. Unless someone else was paying of course, in which case, dinner at the Savoy would be just fine.

James - my OH really fancies all that driving across America stuff, but I can see problems ahead. It all sounds very romantic when you say it and rolls off the tongue, Chicago to LA, but imagine it in real terms.

For a start I get travel sick, so I'd be whinging constantly. If I drove, I'd be nodding off at the wheel. We do not have the same taste in music. Literally, we have to resort to Glen Miller's band or something to find any remote common ground that is bearable for the pair of us. Then there's the small matter of OH's bladder being about the size of a pea, and not a big one. I'm talking an undersized pea that hasn't ripened in the sun properly. When we went to see Planet of the Apes last week, he cleared off to the loo twice. He will buy a bucket of Coke though. When he needs the loo, he NEEDS the loo. Fast. I can need the loo, then forget, then find a toilet four hours later. I can see it now, driving down Route 66 with his knees knocking together in anticipation of a service station and me saying, 'We could have been sitting round a pool in Spain now.'

Nah. Not what I call fun.

Canada coast to coast by train sounds much more appealing.

message 49: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Getting repetitive.....just my link lol.

The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30)

message 50: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Lol - it's a great link. Why stop now? You could make it fit any thread I reckon.

Getting back to the other thread though - you hate drinking, struggle to force it down your neck? Sure about that?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10