New Voices in Fiction Authors from William Morrow discussion

Read Any Books from Others in the Group

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William Morrow (new)

William Morrow | 8 comments Mod
Have you read books by any of the other authors in the group?

message 2: by M (new)

M Cooley | 21 comments Mod
I read Thorn Jack and really enjoyed it. I took a class on english ballads in college, and the allusions to Tam Lin that were threaded through this story of a grieving girl were well done. I also appreciated the setting--upstate New York represent!--which captured the Ichobod Crane spookiness of the Hudson Valley.

I have Last Night at the Blue Angel waiting for me when I get the last edits on book two into my editor. I need to reward myself with something good!

message 3: by Hazel (new)

Hazel Gaynor (hazelgaynor) | 26 comments Mod
Not yet, but lots appeal to me and I love the cover and premise for Season of the Dragonflies.

message 4: by Nadia (new)

Nadia | 19 comments Mod
Writing and reading are an interesting combination. Doing one means you have less time to do the other. At the same time, I find it impossible to write without reading. It's like a sports drink to an athlete, replenishing and hydrating.

The new voices list is full of interesting stories. Next on my TBR list is Hazel Gaynor's The Girl Who Came Home.

message 5: by Carrie (new)

Carrie La Seur (carrielaseur) | 20 comments Mod
Right now I have a big TBR stack of other Montana authors, because people keep asking me about them and I sound illiterate when I keep saying I haven't read this or that. There are so many good ones. I did read Last Night at the Blue Angel and loved it. I find it a different experience to read a book by someone I know. I see them in it, and that's a whole extra category of enjoyment.

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Rotert | 12 comments Mod
I love what Nadia said. Hydrating, yes. I read Home Place and am STILL thinking about those folks. May have a crush on Pete. He may be my new gay boyfriend.
Am adding the other books to the stack. Am working on next book so I've become really picky...what i read has to be so different than what I write or I'll pick up the voice of the writer I'm reading. I start ventriloquizing, in other words.

message 7: by Hazel (new)

Hooray, Nadia! That's lovely to hear. Love your analogy of 'hydrating' your writing by reading. Does anyone find they go through periods of 'reading block' when they are percolating new ideas? I have done recently. I think it came from a fear of discovering somebody had already written the book I was planning!

message 8: by M (new)

M Cooley | 21 comments Mod
Hazel, there was a joke making the rounds on Twitter recently that was surprisingly apt: “Give a man a book, and he’ll read for a day. Teach him to write, and he’ll never have time to read because he’s always on deadlines.” In addition to not having a whole lot of time this past year, I also avoided reading when I was working on the second book because I didn't want other people's ideas to accidentally filter into my story. I have a world I'm creating with a very specific tone, and I'm worried I might start mimicking the books I'm reading.

message 9: by C.J. (new)

C.J. | 16 comments Mod
I want to read so many of the books by those in this group--and they are sitting in a stack, just asking me to do so. As it happens I'm actually a PhD student as well as a writer and a teacher these days... so my reading list right now is a lot of books like Anna Karenina and The Grapes of Wrath and such because I'm preparing for exams. If I make it through Steinbeck's dustbowl, perhaps I'll allow myself to dip into the stack...

message 10: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Harbour (katherineharbour) | 27 comments Mod
They all look so interesting and I work in a bookstore! I bought Ice Shear when it came out because it's set in upstate New York, where I'm originally from, and I love scary mysteries--it's third on my pile of books. I'd also like to read Memory of Water. I try to read 2 books a month.

message 11: by Katherine (new)

Hazel wrote: "Hooray, Nadia! That's lovely to hear. Love your analogy of 'hydrating' your writing by reading. Does anyone find they go through periods of 'reading block' when they are percolating new ideas? I ha..."

I go through 'reading block' when I'm revising--I just don't have time. But reading relaxes me, and I like to read books for research.

message 12: by Hazel (new)

M.P. wrote: "Hazel, there was a joke making the rounds on Twitter recently that was surprisingly apt: “Give a man a book, and he’ll read for a day. Teach him to write, and he’ll never have time to read because..."

I like that saying!

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary McNear (marymcnear) | 22 comments Mod
The books written by people in this group look really interesting. And Carrie, I know just what you mean about the TBR stack: books I want to read, books that have been recommended to me, old classics I haven't gotten to yet, books that I've been given recently. And add to that books that you've all written! It's a good thing to have a long list of books you want to read!

message 14: by Katherine (new)

Mary wrote: "The books written by people in this group look really interesting. And Carrie, I know just what you mean about the TBR stack: books I want to read, books that have been recommended to me, old class..."

Whenever I look at my pile of books, I first feel despair and a vague sense of panic. Then, joy, that I've got so many different worlds to explore.

message 15: by Emmi (new)

Emmi Itäranta | 19 comments Mod
I'm so glad I'm not the only one with endless TBR stacks!

As a rule, I'd love to read everything in the world, ever. If I could have any superpower, I'd probably pick either being fluent in every language, or being able to read (and absorb what I'm reading) so fast I'd have time to read everything I want to.

Without superpowers, though, I'm left with dozens of unread books on my shelves at all times, a repeatedly broken oath not to buy any more of them, and a notebook solely dedicated to writing down the names of every book I want to read.

New Voices in Fiction Authors from William Morrow

unread topics | mark unread