Book Nook Cafe discussion

Book Lists > 22 Ambassadors Recommend the One Book to Read Before Visiting Their Country

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 18896 comments 22 Ambassadors Recommend the One Book to Read Before Visiting Their Country

https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/22...

message 2: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11695 comments Neat idea for a list. Thanks to the Ambassadors should be passed around for contributing, too.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann_reads) What an interesting list, Alias. Thanks for posting it here. Other than One Hundred Years of Solitude, I didn't recognize a single title, so that may be a good way to widen one's reading horizons.

message 4: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11695 comments I agree, Ann. I know i really liked Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg and look forward to others listed.

message 5: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 18896 comments Glad you like the list, Ann ! Let us know if you select one of them to read.

I love book lists. :)

message 6: by Petra (new)

Petra | 1048 comments That's an interesting list. Thanks for posting it, Alias.

I've read 3 of those. I haven't even heard of many of the others and my interest is peaked.

message 7: by Connie (last edited May 10, 2018 05:55AM) (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 285 comments I was a little surprised that TransAtlantic was chosen for Ireland since parts of the book are in the USA and Canada. Colum McCann was born in Ireland. It was impressive how receptive that the Irish were to Frederick Douglass while he was often reviled in the USA. There seemed to be common ground with many Irish living in poverty, starving, and feeling repressed by the English, and African-Americans being mistreated by slavery in the USA. It was an excellent book.

message 8: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11695 comments Connie, i wonder if that shared location is an aspect of the Ambassador's choices? The Peter Høeg book is set in Denmark and Greenland, which is an autonomous constituent country within the Kingdom of Denmark. Not quite the same but it does have me wondering about the choices, in a good way.

message 9: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 285 comments madrano wrote: "Connie, i wonder if that shared location is an aspect of the Ambassador's choices? The Peter Høeg book is set in Denmark and Greenland, which is an autonomous constituent country wi..."

It's good to hear that you enjoyed Smilla's Sense of Snow. I've had that book on my TBR list for years. I've never read a book set in Greenland.

message 10: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11695 comments To be fair, as i recall the Greenland part was more in an ice cave, although Smilla was raised in Greenland. I liked the book very much, i must say.

message 11: by Joanna (new)

Joanna Elm | 29 comments What a superb idea for a book list! Thank you Alias Reader for finding and sharing. I did encounter a problem when I got to the United Kingdom: the cover of the book wouldn't load and I did not see its title included in the blurb, but from the description I'm guessing it's Atonement by Ian McEwan?

message 12: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 227 comments Connie wrote: "madrano wrote: "Connie, i wonder if that shared location is an aspect of the Ambassador's choices? The Peter Høeg book is set in Denmark and Greenland, which is an autonomous consti..."

I'd like to recommend the non-fiction book An African in Greenland. I was impressed with it when I read it some time ago.

message 13: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 285 comments Shomeret wrote: "Connie wrote: "madrano wrote: "Connie, i wonder if that shared location is an aspect of the Ambassador's choices? The Peter Høeg book is set in Denmark and Greenland, which is an au..."

Thanks for the recommendation. An African in Greenland got very good reviews.

message 14: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 285 comments Joanna wrote: "What a superb idea for a book list! Thank you Alias Reader for finding and sharing. I did encounter a problem when I got to the United Kingdom: the cover of the book wouldn't load and I did not see..."

Yes, the book is Atonement.

message 15: by madrano (new)

madrano | 11695 comments The Tété-Michel Kpomassie book sounds great. I hope i can find it in my library. Thanks, Shomeret.