Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

Chit Chat - Getting to Know You > Discussion Topic #2 - What types of characters can you relate to best?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (last edited Aug 13, 2009 01:05PM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
What types of characters can you relate to best?

(examples: The virginal hero? The kick ass heroine? The side character noone pays much attention to?)

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Aug 13, 2009 02:09PM) (new)

Sarah  | 276 comments I'm more of a practical, no-nonsense sort of person, so I tend to like the kick-ass heroines and alpha males more than most other character types. I find that the more wishy-washy or whiny the character, the more I have to struggle to make myself finish the story.

My example is that I recently picked up a recommended book where the heroine walked in on her husband having a nooner with his secretary. I never even made it past the prologue. After she kicked the jerk out, she started to feel sorry about telling him to leave and blaming herself for HIS infidelity! She thought maybe she should've dressed more attractively. That kind of story is NOT for me.

I guess that's why I like PNR and UF so much. Most feature a good vs. evil struggle, which calls for action, heroism, and some self sacrifice. It's nice to see the tough chick and guys go a little soft for their mates and show some tenderness.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I can identify with you not finishing that book Sarah. I wouldn't have been able to either. I have a hard time with romances where the woman is pregnant when she meets the hero of the story. What happened to the baby's father? It's recent enough you wonder, yet they rarely tell you any answer that would make sense. So I avoid books with a pregnant lead female character usually.

message 4: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Yeah I also can identify with you not finishing that book Sarah.

Believe it or not the Destined for an Early Grave I am having a hard time finishing because of the same reason. (not same example just same reasoning).

I wont say more then that as to not spoil any of it but bleh..

The characters I can relate to the best are the strong characters that do not take ANY shit and also knows when they are over their head and need to ask for help.

A perfect example of this would be Mercy from Patricia Briggs books.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 276 comments Not only do I like strong characters, but I also like them to have a little sarcastic wit. I like those little tidbits in a story when the characters make wry observations that make me laugh.

Harper in the Greywalker books is like that for me. One of the big things I remember is a scene where she is approaching her office while thinking someone has broken in. Just as she's getting ready to open the door she thinks, what, am I stupid? There may be someone in there, and I'm not a hero. So she calls the police. Totally caught me off guard. :)

message 6: by new_user (last edited Aug 14, 2009 12:41AM) (new)

new_user I actually really dislike the tough-as-nails heroines. Frankly, their mouthing off seems like they're trying too hard and it comes off as childish and insecure. I generally laugh at grown women who act like that in real life. I mean, I like a little sarcastic wit, but being rude/standoffish just to prove you can... Real strong women are secure enough to be vulnerable too. ;) Many of these heroines are either TSTL or can do know wrong. Erg.

My heroes, on the other hand, yeah, I like them to be pretty alpha, but I can also see a more troubled hero when his motivation's realistic and subtle enough, which is not done that well that often. Usually authors take the easy way out when they want a brooding hero and say something like he was abused, etc. Well, thanks. Now I have to go find someone who's been abused? ><

message 7: by Lu (new)

Lu I like characters with a history and personality in their own way. Like Zadist from the J.R Ward series BDB.

But basically i don't like to relate to characters. I want to learn new things, and see new perspectives.
So whatever, wherever aslong as its a good story :)

message 8: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

You bring up a good point! Not relating to the character also makes for a really good reading experience :D

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) I don't relate to any of the characters in the books I read. My life is way too boring to be in a book. I'd go immediately into a snooze reading about a character like me!

message 10: by new_user (new)

new_user I think part of the reason I can't relate to many heroines is that there isn't any diversity among them culturally too. :/

message 11: by Allison (last edited Aug 29, 2009 09:27PM) (new)

Allison | 5 comments The character that I relate to the most is Rose in Vampire Acamdemy because of her sarcastic smart ass comments... She really isn't a hero type considering she puts herself in a lot of the situations and she makes lots of mistakes but that is what I relate to most, she is very far from perfect

message 12: by Caleb (new)

Caleb (ccp981) | 26 comments I relate best with the characters that are totally together on the outside and make a good show for everyone else, but inside, they aren't even half as together as they would appear.
Sarcasm helps too.