EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

[ARCHIVES] FOR FUN > Ready Player One- Book vs Movie

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andri (new)

Andri Anna | 15 comments I just watched Ready Player One at the cinema and actually really enjoyed it despite the changes.

I’d like to point out that I normally wouldn’t be drawn to this kind of genre and probably would not have been interested in watching it had I not read the book.

Would be interested to read other people’s thoughts.

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen (rhyta) | 79 comments I haven't made it to the show yet but I heard that some references to the group Rush were left on the cutting room floor. Will have to check back in when I get to see it...

message 3: by Lady Poppy (new)

Lady Poppy | 21 comments I thought that soooo many of the references were different, and that was really weird to me. There were also a lot of other changes, but I still liked it independently of the book. It definitely didn't do the book and its complexities justice. However, I think people who hadn't read the book would really like it; it was pretty epic.

Also they made the villains so childish? It felt like the end of a Disney movie when they punched each other at the end?

message 4: by Marie (new)

Marie | 1 comments The film was awful, it's one of my favourite books and they just destroyed it on screen.

message 5: by Tawnee (new)

Tawnee (won_tawn78) | 24 comments I loved the book, but it's been years since I read it. I enjoyed the movie. I thought they left out a lot, but still did a great job with the movie overall. I agree that parts of it were a little childish... I'm not sure why they felt the need to do that seeing that it was rated PG-13 anyway.

message 6: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline I enjoyed both but I loved the book more.

Things that worked in the book just wouldn’t have worked on the screen. I get that. So much changed though. I must say when I saw Ernest Cline’s name as writing the screenplay I just decided to run with it anyway. It’s no different to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy changing every time it changed to a different format. The basic story was the same and they went to the same planets but it was different from the radio play to the books to the TV series and then to the movie (Douglas Adams died halfway through making the movie 😢). But it wasn’t a director who changed it or some screenwriter who had no idea of the book but the author himself. RPO was the same in my opinion so I just sat back and took it as it came.