What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Lost Children
This topic is about The Lost Children
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. 70s to 80's horror book...along the lines of ruby Jean Jensen... [s]

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (last edited Oct 22, 2016 01:02PM) (new) - added it

Alex | 237 comments Hi, I'm looking for a book I read in the late 80's, but could have been published in the late 70's. I have been searching for this book for years. I read it when I was about 14 or 15 yrs old, so late '80s, but got it from my older sister. She doesn't remember the book at all! At the time she was reading things by the likes of dean koontz, ruby Jean Jensen, and Stephen King. But I don't think it was written by any of them, maybe a one hit wonder type author of that time. It was a mass market paperback with yellowed edges. I keep thinking the title was Child's Play...no relation to the movies...but do not find it under that title anywhere. I think it had a computer on the cover, but am not sure about that at all!

So the book was about this small town where a new "cool" teacher shows up an young teens begin to disappear/go missing. A lot of these kids got new free desktop computers (laptops not even invented yet lol) and the MC is this boy in the same class as these kids who realizes something is wrong. The kids disappearing were chalked up to runaways, I think all these missing kids who got computers were trouble makers, but not sure. So in the end, SPOILERS ahead, the MC figures out the kids are being brainwashed/hypnotized through the screens of the computers and it is telling them to leave home and go to this underground compound. (Can't remember exactly why they wanted these kids, but I'm sure it was not for any good reason) It doesn't work on him because he is color blind. No one knows this, so he acts like he is brainwashed to find where the others are and save them. I think it turns out to be some big alien conspiracy. Thanks for any help ahead of time :)

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4730 comments Ruby Jean Jensen published with Zebra Horror.
I found a list of Zebra Horror novels
https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

You may want to take a look through this list.

message 3: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex | 237 comments Bump

message 4: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex | 237 comments Bump

message 6: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex | 237 comments No Ty for trying...this was more of an adult book.

message 7: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex | 237 comments Bump

message 8: by El (new)

El | 502 comments Not everything matches, and this book came out in the early-90s, but doesn't hurt to throw it out there: Lost Boys by Orson Scott Card?

message 9: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex | 237 comments Not it...but thanks for the suggestion.

message 10: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex | 237 comments Bump

message 11: by Tab (new)

message 12: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex | 237 comments I don't think this is it. I do remember reading this book, but don't remember any brain washing with subliminal messages through the computer. That is how the book I'm looking for abducted the kids. The MC was color blind so the subliminal stuff didn't effect him.

message 13: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex | 237 comments Bump

message 14: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4730 comments Alex, how soon into the book is it revealed that the computer is causing the kids to go missing?

How soon do the readers find out the the MC is colorblind?

Do you remember the location the story takes place (big city, Suburbs, the coast, etc)?

Was it part of a series?

message 15: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex | 237 comments The computers n colorblind revel is at the end...I believe somewhere like a small town...can't remember where but def in usa

message 16: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 36933 comments Mod
Bump. Alex is still looking for this.

message 17: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex | 237 comments Thanks Kym. Sorry for the dup lobstergirl, I thought this post had been deleted. My bad!

message 18: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 36933 comments Mod
No problem!

message 19: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex | 237 comments Bump

message 20: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex | 237 comments Bump

message 21: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex | 237 comments Does no one even have a guess? Mayb I imagined it lol

message 22: by Kym (new)

Kym | 1062 comments A guess - School Days by Robert Hughes?

message 23: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex | 237 comments I am pretty certain it was set in high school. But I'll look into this book further. Thanks a lot for trying to help :)

message 24: by Juels (last edited Mar 03, 2017 01:17PM) (new)

Juels | 2291 comments The Lost Children by Brett Rutherford

They were special children, the chosen ones, hand-picked by the Foundation to receive free personal computers. For the Foundation believed in very special children--for a very special mission. And the children would do anything their new computers requested--even things that were wrong.

message 25: by Kym (new)

Kym | 1062 comments A review for The Lost Children mentions one kid is colorblind..

Nice one Juels..

message 26: by Juels (last edited Mar 03, 2017 01:18PM) (new)

Juels | 2291 comments Kym wrote: "A review for The Lost Children mentions one kid is colorblind..

Nice one Juels.."

Thanks!

message 27: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex | 237 comments The Lost Children sounds scary close to what I'm looking for!! Unfortunately it is OOP, so I'm ordering a copy from an Amazon dealer n will let u know the verdict when I get it

message 28: by Kym (new)

Kym | 1062 comments This is the review I read -

https://unclenecro.wordpress.com/2013...

message 29: by Juels (last edited Mar 08, 2017 07:12AM) (new)

Juels | 2291 comments Google books has a snippet view. You can use it to search for things, such as color blind, underground compound, and hypnotized.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Gig...

It is useful for finding blurbs that may help:

I think I figured it out. I'm color blind, and maybe that's why I never saw that stuff.

All of us got computers. We were hypnotized, tricked.

message 30: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex | 237 comments Yup The Lost Children is my book! They u all for ur help, it still amazes me how great this group is! Jules u ROCK ;)

message 31: by Juels (new)

Juels | 2291 comments :)