The Reader's Bar discussion

Nominate Next Month's Book > What would you like to read in August?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise (new)

Denise | 1410 comments Mod
Please post below your suggestions for books that you would like to read in August. There is no theme for this month.

message 2: by Lindor (new)

Lindor Joelle | 133 comments Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones The Taste of Salt by Martha Southgate

i have two from my to-read list

message 3: by Mahoghani 23 (last edited Jul 26, 2014 10:48AM) (new)

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) ...And Family Drama Just Won't Stop by Daniel Whyte III A Cheating Man's Heart by Derrick Jaxn

And Family Drama Just Won't Stop

Every family has its issues. It is how we go about handling our issues that makes the difference; it is who we invite in the midst of our battles that makes the difference. How will these church families handle the sins of their past and the challenges that life is giving them? Stacy Wilmington is on her way to college when a devastating secret from her father's past threatens to ruin her relationship with him and causes her to commit a sin of her own. In hiding his past for so long, will Stacy's father lose the two most important people in his life -- his wife and his daughter? Terrence Montague, a man committed to providing for his wife and daughter, Monica, finds himself caught up in an illegal drug delivering business that he knows is against the law and against his Christian convictions. Will he choose to love God and be true to his family over love of money? Meanwhile, the new assistant pastor of New Mt. Zion Missionary Evangelical Church, Dwayne Reynolds, believes he has left his past behind...only to discover that it has found him again. Will he choose to face it head on or hide it from the congregation that has come to love and trust his family? In the middle of all this drama, is Reynolds' son, Jonathan, and Montague's daughter, Monica. What does the future hold for them?

A Cheating Man's Heart

With his witty, humorous, and heartfelt writing style that took the social media world virally by storm, Derrick Jaxn delivers another lesson in love wrapped in the emotionally transparent perspective of a troubled man. Shawn Fletcher, a former college football phenom turned successful entrepreneur, is in need of the very thing he's never proven to be ready for; love. To finally get to the heart of the issue, his therapist goes digging into a closet full of skeletons that neither of them were ready for. Shawn opens up about going to college and meeting Jazmin, the bodacious vixen from Atlanta with a slick tongue and vicious curves. They tame their sexual rendezvous into a genuine friendship shortly before Danielle comes and stakes claim on Shawn's heart. Everything seems perfect until his commitment to Danielle nearly costs Jazmin her life. Shawn wants to fix things but knows he can't be in two places at once; but can he make his heart play by the same rules?

message 5: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 223 comments Lindor wrote: "Silver Sparrow by Tayari JonesThe Taste of Salt by Martha Southgate

i have two from my to-read list"

Silver Sparrow is on sale @ Amazon for $1.99

My book club read and discussed both of these books a little while age. They both made for good discussion books.

message 6: by Mahoghani 23 (new)

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Can we add the synopsis to this discussion?

message 7: by Carolyn (new)

message 8: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 21 comments Lethea wrote: "Can we add the synopsis to this discussion?" I looked them up so I thought I would add the synopsis for the books already added.

Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones

With the opening line of Silver Sparrow, “My father, James Witherspoon, is a bigamist,” author Tayari Jones unveils a breathtaking story about a man’s deception, a family’s complicity, and the two teenage girls caught in the middle.

Set in a middle-class neighborhood in Atlanta in the 1980s, the novel revolves around James Witherspoon’s two families—the public one and the secret one. When the daughters from each family meet and form a friendship, only one of them knows they are sisters. It is a relationship destined to explode. This is the third stunning novel from an author deemed “one of the most important writers of her generation” (the Atlanta Journal Constitution).

The Taste of Salt by Martha Southgate

Award-winning novelist Martha Southgate (who, in the words of Julia Glass, “can write fat and hot, then lush and tender, then just plain truthful and burning with heart”) now tells the story of a family pushed to its limits by addiction over the course of two generations.

Josie Henderson loves the water and is fulfilled by her position as the only senior-level black scientist at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute. In building this impressive life for herself, she has tried to shed the one thing she cannot: her family back in landlocked Cleveland. Her adored brother, Tick, was her childhood ally as they watched their drinking father push away all the love that his wife and children were trying to give him. Now Tick himself has been coming apart and demands to be heard.

Weaving four voices into a beautiful tapestry, Southgate charts the lives of the Hendersons from the parents’ first charmed meeting to Josie’s realization that the ways of the human heart are more complex than anything seen under a microscope.

The Zahir by Paulo Coelho

The narrator of The Zahir is a bestselling novelist who lives in Paris and enjoys all the privileges money and celebrity bring. His wife of ten years, Esther, is a war correspondent who has disappeared along with a friend, Mikhail, who may or may not be her lover.

Was Esther kidnapped, murdered, or did she simply escape a marriage that left her unfulfilled? The narrator doesn't have any answers, but he has plenty of questions of his own. Then one day Mikhail finds the narrator and promises to reunite him with his wife. In his attempt to recapture a lost love, the narrator discovers something unexpected about himself.

Mambo in Chinatown by Jean Kwok

Twenty-two-year-old Charlie Wong grew up in New York’s Chinatown, the older daughter of a Beijing ballerina and a noodle maker. Though an ABC (America-born Chinese), Charlie’s entire world has been limited to this small area. Now grown, she lives in the same tiny apartment with her widower father and her eleven-year-old sister, and works—miserably—as a dishwasher.

But when she lands a job as a receptionist at a ballroom dance studio, Charlie gains access to a world she hardly knew existed, and everything she once took to be certain turns upside down. Gradually, at the dance studio, awkward Charlie’s natural talents begin to emerge. With them, her perspective, expectations, and sense of self are transformed—something she must take great pains to hide from her father and his suspicion of all things Western. As Charlie blossoms, though, her sister becomes chronically ill. As Pa insists on treating his ailing child exclusively with Eastern practices to no avail, Charlie is forced to try to reconcile her two selves and her two worlds—Eastern and Western, old world and new—to rescue her little sister without sacrificing her newfound confidence and identity.

The Other Side of the Story by Marian Keyes

Jojo Harvey is a dead ringer for Jessica Rabbit and the most ferocious literary agent in town. A former NYPD cop, she now lives in London making million-dollar book deals while trying to make partner at her firm . . . all the while sleeping with the boss man.

Lily Wright is an author who believes in karma, and is waiting for the sky to fall after stealing her former best friend's man. Though her first book failed to sell, her life turns upside down when her most recent book becomes a huge bestseller.

Gemma Hogan is an event designer extraordinaire, but her personal life is nonexistent after losing the love of her life and her best friend in one fell swoop. To make matters worse, her father has just left her mother. While taking care of her mother, she e-mails a close colleague about her frustrations, who in turn forwards the hilarious e-mails to a famous literary agent named Jojo Harvey, who just happens to represent her former friend, now enemy, Lily Wright. . . .

Written in the charming and chatty voice that has become Marian Keyes's signature style, this hilarious and heartwarming novel proves there are three sides to every story . . . especially in the world of publishing!

message 9: by Denise (new)

Natasha wrote: "Lethea wrote: "Can we add the synopsis to this discussion?" I looked them up so I thought I would add the synopsis for the books already added.

Silver Sparrow by [author:Tayari Jo..."

Thanks

message 10: by Denise (new)

I posted the poll. Please go over and vote. Thursday is the last day to cast your vote.

message 11: by Denise (new)

Today is the last day to vote for next month's read. Please go and vote if you have not already done so. Thanks

message 12: by Denise (new)

Our read for August is Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones.

Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones