Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Raven Stratagem (The Machineries of Empire, #2)
This topic is about Raven Stratagem
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Raven Stratagem [Apr 2, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Come join

Sara J. (kefuwa) (kefuwa) | 137 comments Yasss! Thanks! Should the first book in the same folder? Previously it was in the stand alone folder...

Lena I’ll start this tomorrow!

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments This started already?... Guess I didn't realize since I started so late last time...

Sara J. (kefuwa) (kefuwa) | 137 comments I've done 1 chapter... I am so behind on my reading. Haha!

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments I'm halfway thru a Well of Ascension re-read since I dropped Plague of Giants and didn't want to get ahead of everone on Temeraire...

Lena I’m 13% in and the relationship between Mikodez and his double/sibling/lover Istradez has given me the deep creeps.

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments Lena wrote: "I’m 13% in and the relationship between Mikodez and his double/sibling/lover Istradez has given me the deep creeps."

That IS a bit squicky, but I just read Kushiel's Scion this week, which was heavy on unrealized incest themes, so...

I'm near 50% now... I expected more Kel Cheriss... didn't realize this was more of a trilogy about Jedao... it's really interesting how successful he is at winning allies... I can't imagine what the endgame of this trilogy looks like...

Lena Me either but it’s always Cheriss too... I think.

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments Lena wrote: "Me either but it’s always Cheriss too... I think."

(view spoiler)

Approaching 75% now... this book is really lacking in timeline indicators... a lot of the Hexarch POVs seem like flashbacks... and the Brezin stuff seems in the future a bit, since the Jedao scenes seem so connected...

And now this Kujen stuff seems like a mix of the present and 300 years ago... so confusing...

(view spoiler)

message 11: by Timelord Iain (last edited Apr 05, 2018 05:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments Least we only have to wait 2 months for Revenant Gun to finish out the trilogy... Yoon Ha Lee says there's an anthology of his shorter stories planned afterwards... the online stuff plus some new stuff, I think...

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments Last chapter now: WOW... (view spoiler)

message 13: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena I’m 36% in and I have no idea what’s going to happen. It’s taking longer than the first book.

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments I dunno what I expected from this book... probably more connections to the first book...

message 15: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena 54% in. Ok I’m getting a "the enemy of my enemy is useful to make me look like a hero" vibe going here. That at least makes sense in a desperate Lando Calrissian kinda way.

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments 90% of this book is misdirection... it all comes together towards the end...

message 17: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena 80% in.

The enthrallment should have worked, unless..."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

message 19: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena OMG guys I just approved for Revenant Gun!

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments cheater

Yanique Gillana | 915 comments OK I'm here finally! I like the little flashback, it gives me hope that more will be explained in this one.

Yanique Gillana | 915 comments You know when someone's telling you a story ad they get so into it that they start dropping names of people, places, and even jargon that you don't know? So even if you're following them, there's still something missing because of delivery... that's how I feel about this story.

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments I felt lost half the time, as well... I think that was kind of the point... mirrors how most people around Jedao feel...

Yanique Gillana | 915 comments This got real good, real fast! lol.

message 25: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena I think you’ll love how it ends.

Yanique Gillana | 915 comments Lena wrote: "I think you’ll love how it ends."

I DID!!!!

message 27: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena Sweet!

Sara J. (kefuwa) (kefuwa) | 137 comments RL pushed my reading off the bandwagon. And alll the FBR buddy reads went to slush! (I will try to catch up with some - Vorkosigan!)

Anyway I finished Raven Stratagem the other day. T'was awesome! I was still a bit foggy going through it - but it was soooo interesting (despite the fog)!

Lena wrote: "OMG guys I just approved for Revenant Gun!"

... and I got approved for RG too (Netgalley - with a Tchaikovsky title to boot)! But I will buy the ebook when it's out later too.

So... are y'all reading Revenant Gun?

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments I dunno when the audiobook is releasing, or I'd say "june 19th?"

message 30: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena I will happily comment. I’m curious what will be said over the refrigerator.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1787 comments I plan to read RG on the release date. I think it might be on June 12? Do we want a BR thread?

Sara J. (kefuwa) (kefuwa) | 137 comments Iain wrote: "I dunno when the audiobook is releasing, or I'd say "june 19th?""

How long does it usually take? Not the same release day as the physical copy?

Silvana wrote: "I plan to read RG on the release date. I think it might be on June 12? Do we want a BR thread?"

Why not? xD

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1787 comments Sara J. wrote: "Iain wrote: "I dunno when the audiobook is releasing, or I'd say "june 19th?""

How long does it usually take? Not the same release day as the physical copy?

Silvana wrote: "I plan to read RG on t..."

Yay! I'll go and request a thread then.

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments Depends on the author and previous sales... there's no audible pre-order listed... We've been scheduling new release buddy reads a week late so people have a 3 week window to use them in the competition... and since it can be hard to get from library on release day...

Sara J. (kefuwa) (kefuwa) | 137 comments Aha... audible! I should give it a go one of these days. May give me more of a heads up on reading. Lol.