The County Library discussion

Reading Challenges > 2018 April Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (last edited Mar 29, 2018 10:08AM) (new)

Elizabeth (bethsmash) | 770 comments Mod
April is World Landscape Architecture Month. So, with that in mind, your challenge is to read something that includes gardeners, gardening or landscape architecture. You can read a non-fiction book, maybe get ideas for your own garden, like, 100 Years, 100 Landscape Designs or Gardening Complete: How to Best Grow Vegetables, Flowers, and Other Outdoor Plants or you can read a fiction book where the main character is a gardener or a florist, like A Muddied Murder. And of course, there's always the classic, The Secret Garden.

Happy Spring!

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnanysyo) ooh fun, I think i'm going to read Wild Designs. If anyone is looking for suggestions I loved The Lost Garden and not for this challenge because it's not out yet but Penelope Lively one of my favorite authors has a memoir of sorts about gardening coming out in June Life in the Garden. So many books, so little time

message 3: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 902 comments Ooooh! This sounds fun. I have my book picked. Oh! a gardening pun!

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda | 163 comments I read Family Garden (RHS Simple Steps to Success) by Lia Leendertz
It was one of those books that is enjoyable to look at and then wish I didn't live in a desert so I could have a garden that looked like these. It did have some good ideas.

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

I hear you Linda. I often watch gardening shows, and then go Ooh, I want THAT plant. And then find out it won't really grow here at all. sigh.

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Wow! April is like... halfway over! How did that happen? Make sure you find your book and let me know.

message 7: by Greg (new)

Greg (danceyeah) | 163 comments I just couldn't find a book to fit this challenge. I'll try for May.

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Oh no! Im sorry you couldnt find anything that intrigued you.

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 377 comments I read School of Charm, which features quite a bit of gardening. And is just a really cute coming-of-age story.

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Fantastic!

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda | 163 comments Greg wrote: "I just couldn't find a book to fit this challenge. I'll try for May."
Try a picture book. The Night Gardener is a good kids book

message 12: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 902 comments I read First Garden: The White House Garden and How It Grew by Robbin Gourley. The children's picture book relates the history of various gardens and animal husbandry undertaken by the First Family begining with John Adams, the White House's first resident.

message 13: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 902 comments Greg wrote: "I just couldn't find a book to fit this challenge. I'll try for May."

If you haven't read it, consider Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah or perhaps her new book The Great Alone. In Winter Garden, the garden plays a pivotal role in the relationships of the people in the family, particularly the mother. In The Great Alone, a garden is a necessity in the hinterlands of Alaska and working in the garden is an important activity. I loved both books, but loved Winter Garden just a tad more.

message 14: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 157 comments I read The Enchanted April. Four strangers, women, rent a castle in Italy for the month of April. The story alternates between detailed descriptions of the gardens and introspection on the part of the women.

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Teresa,

That sounds interesting.

message 16: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 157 comments It was funny, slow, and lush.

message 17: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnanysyo) I loved The Enchanted April, the film is quite well done also

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Britt, Book Habitue, is our prize drawing winner for April 2018’s reading challenge. She read School of Charm by Lisa Ann Scott.

message 19: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 902 comments Hooray, Britt!

message 20: by Alyson (new)

Alyson | 86 comments Wahoo!