Lincoln Parish Library discussion

Reading Challenges > April 2018 Reading Challenge: Getting Jazzy With It

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 215 comments Let’s get jazzy this month since April is Jazz Appreciation Month , also known as JAM! Consider this a taste of summer reading this year!

This month, choose a title that either features jazz music/musicians heavily in the plot or a nonfiction title about a famous musician or history of jazz. There is a wide array to choose from! To make it even more interesting, pair your reading with a musician or album to listen to and see how the two complement one another.

Since I love a good unsolved historical mystery, I’m going to pick up The Axeman by Ray Celestin, which details the Axeman of New Orleans and his/her demands for a night of jazz in exchange for not murdering anyone, and pair with an exploration of the music of Jelly Roll Morton.
The Axeman by Ray Celestin

What are you reading and listening to?

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinhawkins) | 22 comments Mod
Since I love New Orleans, seeing Rebecca's book, I think I might read the nonfiction of The Axeman. Does that count for this month, or not??? If it doesn't, let me know and I will find another one. I still plan on reading the nonfiction. Sounds interesting.

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 215 comments Robin wrote: "Since I love New Orleans, seeing Rebecca's book, I think I might read the nonfiction of The Axeman. Does that count for this month, or not??? If it doesn't, let me know and I will find another one...."

It definitely does, especially since it has been soeculated that the axeman was a down on his luck jazz musician!

message 4: by Dana (new)

Dana | 6 comments I’m reading “Lady Sings the Blue” by Billie Holiday. Listening to Lady Day.

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 215 comments Dana wrote: "I’m reading “Lady Sings the Blue” by Billie Holiday. Listening to Lady Day."

That sounds like a winning combination!