The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge discussion

The Great Gatsby
This topic is about The Great Gatsby
Book Discussions > Great Gatsby (Quater 2 Re-Read Book)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L. (new) - rated it 5 stars

L. (lauraactually) | 236 comments Mod
The chosen book for the quarter 2 re-read is Great Gatsby. Sonne will be leading the discussion for this book, so please look out below for her posts. In the meantime, let us know if you’ll be joining in on reading this with us!

Sönne (soenne) | 145 comments Mod
Thanks for creating this thread, Laura!

To get started, let's just talk about if it's your first time reading Great Gatsby.

If you've (also) watched the movie, how did you like it?

I've both read the book and watched the movie. While I liked the book, I felt the movie didn't live up to my expectations. What did you think?

message 3: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol Barnes (cjbarnes) | 5 comments I will be reading the Great Gatsby at a later date. Right now I am reading Charlotte's Web and To Kill a Mocking Bird for my Stars Hollow Book Club. I will be ordering the Great Gatsby on the first of May to read.

Jade Browne (jadeb248) I’ve read the original and watched the newer movie! Loved the portrayal and characters! I think it’s very close to the book!

Colleen (miniguinea73) I’ve read the book and seen both the Robert Redford Gatsby and the Leonardo DiCaprio Gatsby. The book is way better, of course. I find I like Redford better as Gatsby.

message 6: by Irene (new)

Irene | 4 comments I have never read The Great Gatsby but it has long been in my tbr list, so maybe I'll join you later on.
I have watched the newest film with Leonardo DiCaprio and thought it was okay.

Julia (juliaistrying) Anyone have opinions on Jordan? I often read about her being a symbol of ostentation and shallowness, but I thinkshe represents independence and free-thinking.

Colleen (miniguinea73) I've always thought Jordan was a very underdeveloped character. I really wanted to know more about her. I see her very much as a progressive woman, and I'm glad that she's there to balance out the flapper image. We really get to see very different women in the novel.

Sönne (soenne) | 145 comments Mod
So how's everyone getting along with our re-read so far?

As I think most of you have already read The Great Gatsby at some point in their lives, let's just discuss what do you think what makes the book a classic novel?

Colleen (miniguinea73) Sönne wrote: "what do you think what makes the book a classic novel"

I think the story is really intriguing, especially the backstory about Gatsby himself and the mystery of who he is throughout the first half of the novel. It's also an amazing picture of the Roaring 20s and it's a fairly quick read.

Cathy I read this over Easter and alternated between reading a chapter, and watching about 15 mins of the film at a time. I absolutely adored it.

Kelly (kellypridgen) This is my all time favorite book. I think I've read it 20 times.

Holly | 231 comments Mod
This is one of my favorites. I love how the concept of having money isnt all what it seems.

On a side note, didnt see the movie. I'm afraid Leonardo DiCaprio would ruin the image of Jay in my head. Maybe because I still see Robert Redford as Jay in my mind.

Colleen (miniguinea73) That’s exactly why I didn’t finish the new movie. Gatsby will always be Redford to me