Play Book Tag discussion

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1)
This topic is about The Cuckoo's Calling
Archive: Other Books > (LISTOPIA) The Cuckoo's Calling / Robert Galbraith - 4****

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5645 comments The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith
The Cuckoo’s Calling – Robert Galbraith
Digital audiobook narrated by Robert Glenister.
4****

Adapted from the book jacket: After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, creditors are calling, and he’s living in his office. Then John Bristow walks through his door and asks that he investigate as possible murder. Bristow’s sister, supermodel Lana Landry (known to her friends as the Cuckoo), fell to her death a few months earlier. Police ruled it a suicide, but John refuses to believe that. The case plunges Strike into the world of multimillionaire beauties, rock-star boyfriends, and desperate designers.

My reactions
Well if you didn’t already know by now, Galbraith is the pseudonym of J K Rowling, and this book proves that she knows how to craft a compelling story. I was hesitant to read it, but I’m glad I finally came around. I’ll definitely keep reading this series.

I really liked Strike as a lead character. He has obvious flaws, and some not-so-obvious ones as well. But he’s a strong-willed, principled man with a keen intelligence despite his reliance on alcohol to numb the pain. I also really liked how he went about gathering the facts / clues, his way of evaluating what he learns and WHO is providing the information.

But the character I most liked was his assistant, Robin. What a wonderful foil for this detective. She’s young, bright, unflappable, intelligent, resourceful, and compassionate. Recognizing the difficulty her “temporary” boss is in, she takes the bull by the horns and quietly and efficiently makes things as right as they can be. She’s a treasure – as an assistant, and as a character.

The plot is suitably complex, with plenty of red herrings to confuse and misdirect both Strike and the reader. I did not guess the culprit in advance of the reveal.

Robert Glenister does a marvelous job of voicing the audiobook. He keeps the pace up (a must for this genre), and his skill as a voice artist is up to the challenge of reading a book with so many different characters. I really like the way he interprets both Strike and Robin.

LINK to my review

Jgrace | 2762 comments I've read them all so far. They are more violent and more contemporary than my usual mystery favorites, but I loved them. I hope she publishes another one soon.