Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

Discussing All Things Indie > how to get started publishing a kids' book

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jill (last edited Mar 28, 2018 05:47PM) (new)

Jill Hollander | 3 comments Hi there,
I am looking for some advice on how to get started on publishing a kids' book. This is my first one. I wrote it and I have an illustrator. I don't really know where to start.. self publish? another route? ..pros and cons? how to set up an agreement with my illustrator? thanks so much and and helpful comments will be appreciated : )

message 2: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4600 comments Mod
If you send me your email I'll send you a copy of Navigating Indieworld- A lot of that info is in there.
Also, Yvonne Jones just published a book on publishing a children's book- it's pretty comprehensive.
You have to get your illustrator to sign a document defining who owns what- are you paying outright for the art or are they your partner? You should have a lawyer draft something up.
Did you get a free isbn from a publishing platform like Createspace or KDP? If you use their ISBN they technically are the only ones who can publish your book.
If you want diversity in sales you should get your own ISBN through Bowker. Are you doing paperback only or an electronic book or both? You need ISBN's for each.
You can publish with a platform like Ingram, Createspace, Lulu, KDP/Amazon- These are self-publishing platforms. Some have pod (print on demand) paperbacks, or you can do just an electronic book. Getting a publisher is pretty tough, so I think if you want to publish the book self- publishing is the way to go.

message 3: by Jill (last edited Mar 28, 2018 05:59PM) (new)

Jill Hollander | 3 comments Carole, thanks so much! Can I send my email privately somewhere to you?
Best : )

message 4: by Carole (new)

cnbbook@gmail.com

message 5: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 1490 comments Mod
Carole is a pro at this ;)

message 6: by Carole (new)

Thanks, Erica- but you have quite a group of books out too- please jump in and add more!!!!

message 7: by Jill (new)

Jill Hollander | 3 comments thanks all! You guys are great..

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread